• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

new to birdwatching needs advice on camera lens (1 Viewer)

Affordable lenses

Only just joined the forum today so not seen your thread before. It looks like you are about to down the slippery slope that ends in poverty !

I too have been using a budget SLR (400D) for the past 2 years and initially bought a (non-stabilised) Sigma 150-400. This gave me lots of great pictures (by my standards) even hand held. Only this year I bought the 100-400IS which is 3 times the price of my old Sigma, it is much easier to use for flight shots or rapidly moving/feeding birds, but for £1200. Have you considered buying second hand ?

I must admit to digiscoping as well which is probably why the Sigma pictures look good to me.

If I was on a limited budget I'd look for something like a Sigma 400/5.6 there are quite a few on ebay if you find a good seller offering a short warranty not a Canon man so don't know if there are compatability issues so please check with a better source than me. It may also be worth checking places like Mifsuds who have a great used selection as well as those who advertise in the weekly photography magazine

It really does depend on the item you're looking at - I just missed a low use, boxed 1Ds (original mkI) at £599, whoever got that scored a bargain!

I will not disagree on that particular item Peter but they did strike me as being a bit pricey.

Mifsuds are bloody expensive !

When I bought a Nikon D90 for my daughter not only did they offer me the best price but they took my old D70s (fully boxed and A1) at a price more than I could have got off eBay, on top of that the service was excellent
I take em as I find em, praise and credit where its due.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back