• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stoney does rspb sandwell valley (1 Viewer)

Stonechat2

Tooty Fruity Member
Hi all,

Today i set off out to sandwell valley at 7:15, i got the bust to dudley, from dudley to west brom and from west brom to the valley, if only it was that easy, i got off the bus way to earloy on the way and so had to walk a fare distance to find the valley as it was a new area and i was lost, not a good start.

However i found it and as i was walking up to the visitor centre i saw all the usuals, Blackbird, Blue tit, Great tit, Robin, Wren, Woodpigeon and so on. I continued to the lake screen and got fantastic views of reed bunting and my first lifer, a Sedge Warbler! I stood watching and i also saw Greenfinches and lots of Goldfinches, a few jays was also a welcome surprise.

I continued on around the lake and saw Canada goose, Mute swan, Gadwall, Tufted duck, Lesser black backed gull, Black headed gull, Grey heron and Mallard. I moved into a more scrubby part and it was alive with whitethroats and willow warblers.

I moved on along the River Tame which runs through the reserve and met three other birders, we got chatting and i went around with them. We went for a coffee and then had a look around forge mill farm to see nesting swallors, pied wagtails and along the river a solitary grey wagtail appeared. We then went and had a look into a plain field and across the field came severn mistle thrush along with Lapwings, Carrion crows and Jackdaws.

We then passed the heronry where lifer number two came and it was a absoluteley terrible view of a kingfisher but it definateley was one. We also looked for ruddy duck but this time it evaded us. We passed through a prime little owl neighbourhood but again we didn't it. Also we passed throug territory which usually holds Stonechat but again none were about.

We then passed a large pond agin and what was there, A Artic tern which left soon after we got there but srtill another lifer. We then went back to the visitor centre and on the way got great views of Reed Warbler and Sparrowhawk, fantastic.

Anyway i went home then and arrived back at 5:00 and a total of around 45 species in all, all in all a great day. :bounce:

Steven

Hi Steven

Keep perservering with Sandwell Valley as anything can turn up there. Spend a little time in the centre watching the feeders as you will get some excellent views of Bullfinches and possibly another bird that may be a lifer for you, a Willow Tit. I can't remember if you've seen one of those before.

If you remember, Monkeyman and me took you just around the corner from there to see the Nuthatch on the hand. There is quite a lot going for that area, it's just a pity that the yobbo's have tried hard to wreck the place.

They have given up re-building the hides as they have been torched too many times so they have put screens up instead.

Well done on a good day out.

BTW if you do join the West Midlands Bird Club you will have to try out Belvide, just North West of Wolverhampton. That is an excellent reserve but I'm not sure how close you can get to it by public transport.

Hi Guys,

I definateley enjoyed it and will be going back soon to see if ian Wiltshire is there, he is the leader of the wolverhampton rspb local group, i'm going toi join that also and from the brochure there are some fantastic trips organised, in all there are 4 and they are
- Suynday 19th September to Titchwell marsh (RSPB) - mouth watereing!
- Sunday 10th October to Gibralta point - Don't know much about this one.
- Sunday 7th November to Pitsford water - Don't know much aboutthis one aswell.
- Sunday 5th December to Welney (WWT) - Good stuff.

Also i'm going to the coomes valley at the end of August after wood warbler, spotted and pied fly catcher, i've been told that the reserve is very overgrown and i probably won't see them, though it's still worth a try.

I'm going to join the west midland bird club and then ask them about nearby public transport, anyway i know that they organise trips and so i will be able to tag along with some of there members, i hope so anyway.

Finally, the birders i met at Sandwell usually go in the car to somewhere evry thursday and it looks as though i'm going toi be going out with them a few times so i'm happy about that.

As it say's on the introduction to Emmerdale - IT'S ALL GOING ON!!

Steven

Oh Andrew,

Forgot to ask, you don't mind me robbing your devonian does whatever do you.
As you have seen i have used stoney does, if you do just say and i won't use it anymore.

Steven

Hi Steven

Gibralatar Point in Autumn could turn up anything (also at the moment there is a long staying Long billed Dowitcher there) but I much prefer Spurn Point at that time of the year.

Don't know much about Pitsford as I have never been there but I'm sure someone will. Coombes can be good but it also can be hard work but the scenery is beautiful.

Titchwell you will enjoy. It's a great place especially for someone that is new into birding. Welney is another place that you will enjoy, especially the spectacle of all the wintering Swans that will be there at that time of the year.

My Missus and I might be going to a site that one of the members (jada dulo) has told us about near to Shrewsbury for Pied & Spotted Flycatchers. We could be going there on this Sunday. If we do would you be interested in joining us. We will have two very friendly dogs with us and they will be in the back with my missus.

What do you think?

Hi Reader,

Thanks for inviting me, Yes definateley. Don't worry about me with the dogs i have 4 of my own and will enjoy seeing yours.

Let me know about meeting times etc.

Regards,
Steven

Stonechat2 said:
Forgot to ask, you don't mind me robbing your devonian does whatever do you.
As you have seen i have used stoney does, if you do just say and i won't use it anymore.
That's no skin off my nose, I use various title but always start with 'A Devonian . . ' Use whatever you want to use, no one minds.

Stonechat2 said:
Hi Reader,

Thanks for inviting me, Yes definateley. Don't worry about me with the dogs i have 4 of my own and will enjoy seeing yours.

Let me know about meeting times etc.

Regards,
Steven

Hi Steven

I will ask jada dulo what are the best times to get there and i will let you know.

Sandwell Valley! Now that brings back good memories, my old stomping ground from about '79 to late eighties. Vivid memories were a flock of over 60 Corn Buntings in the field which is now the RSPB centre. We used to sit and watch Kingfisher on the river and then walk through the field at the back to "flush" the regular wintering SE Owl there, before trying to get a Jack Snipe in the Marsh before the farmer chased us off.
Living in the heart of industrial Oldbury, it was a majic place to go birding, full of myth......like the time we met a bloke who told us he'd seen a Blue Jay on the golf course.....we spent hours looking and believed his story for years. Aye those were the days, nice post, glad to see it's still alive and well!!

JP

Andrew,

Cheers mate :)

Reader,

Thanks, will look forward to hearing from you soon. By the way, did you ever get me that bird cd rom.

Jp,

I'm hoping to get both Snipe and Jack this winter along with gooseander and so on.

Eagle,

Thanks for the kind words.

Once again thank you all,
Regards,
Steven

Last edited:
You ask for easy places to travel to in another thread. I saw Jack Snipe and thought about Barnes in London (WWT London Wetland Centre). I fyou can get a train or cheapo bus to Hammersmith then a connecting bus to Barnes in winter then Jack Snipe is a real prospect along with Bittern. Hopefully someone will come up with a closer solution to home for you.

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the info but i already know that they are present at Sandwell Valley during the winter so i will be visiting it often to get them.

Thanks anyway,
Steven

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back