• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Speke's Weaver (Ploceus spekei) (1 Viewer)

Peter,
I doubt that this one is right. When I have time I'll try to check out what it could be. I have heuglini as not ranging in Tanzania. Clement's gives me for heuglini - Savanna of Senegambia to sw Sudan, s Uganda and nw Kenya, and Howard & Moore gives me - Senegal to W and S Sudan, Uganda and NW Kenya.

Peter,
I've looked at this one and my tentative identification depones for Ploceus spekei. I have sent the pic to a friend of mine much more expert in Ploceus of the Kenya-Tanzania region for confirmation and will let you know.

Peter,
Just received the confirmation. It is, indeed, Speke's Weaver (Ploceus spekei). My only real doubt was because I knew that race uluensis of Ploceus vitellinus overlaps with that of spekei in the Crater. However, the iris of vitellinus is brown or rusty-red.

Last edited:
Hi Pete,

I've changed the overall thread title for this one, in the interests of clarity.

Hope it's OK, but any problem, let me know.

By the way, this is the first time I have taken the opportunity to make any comment about you photos, and I would like to say what stunning images they are.

I've also had a quick look at your website, via the link in you profile.

Brilliant stuff... I'll be back for a more leisurely look for sure!

:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back