• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Three from Awash, Ethiopia (1 Viewer)

BirdingRob

Brit abroad
Dear all,

Three birds reminding to be identified from my Ethiopian trip. Not much to go on for the bird of prey and the grey/orange passerine. These were my only pictures for both.

The passerine had the orangey-rufous colour on all its underside.

All help gratefully received

Rob

Attachments

• 7prey1.jpg
    7prey1.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 70
  • 15orange1.jpg
    15orange1.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 18suna1.jpg
    18suna1.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 62
Eastern Chanting-Goshawk for the first

Hi Tom
why it wouldn't be a Gabar Goshawk ?. I see the bird is slightly small compared to Dark chanting and eastern . Also I don't remember if the range of eastern chanting will be up to awash . I birded that area quite well and never encountered eastern chanting.

Bassel,

I know your question is directed at Tom but we get both dark chanting and Gaber in Saudi Arabia (but not eastern chanting). I have seen Gaber well in Saudi. The bird I photographed in Ethiopia appeared too big for Gaber and the almost block dark patches at the ends of the underwing dont remind me of gaber.

I hope Tom can reply.

Rob

Bassel,

I know your question is directed at Tom but we get both dark chanting and Gaber in Saudi Arabia (but not eastern chanting). I have seen Gaber well in Saudi. The bird I photographed in Ethiopia appeared too big for Gaber and the almost block dark patches at the ends of the underwing dont remind me of gaber.

I hope Tom can reply.

Rob

Hi all

the dark black hand also from below together with the very light silvery primary coverts above make me think Chanting. Also Gabar should show obvious white margins to secondaries not seen here. The all white uppertail coverts point to Eastern.

For distribution see here http://www.planetofbirds.com/accipi...eastern-chanting-goshawk-melierax-poliopterus

Last edited:
Thanks to Bassel and Tom for everything so far.

I checked ebird for eastern chanting distribution. Seems OK. As we know, Awash is NE of Adama and ESE of Addis. (and the bird was seen on the road to Awash from Adama)

Rob

Attachments

• easterndist.jpg
    easterndist.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back