• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

'Tundrus' Peregrine falcon - Gulf of Mexico (1 Viewer)

lostinjapan

We have had at least 2 if not more Peregrines visiting us irregularly 150 miles from the coast out here in the Gulf.

They appear to show characteristics of 'tundrius' race birds, at least what I assume is a 1st winter male does.

Also bonus points for identifying the prey item it is carrying!!

Cheers

Sean

Attachments

• Falcon- Munin Explorer- by Blake Simon.JPG
    Falcon- Munin Explorer- by Blake Simon.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 109
  • BlakesFalcon.jpg
    BlakesFalcon.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 72
  • Peregrinetundriusmale1BF.jpg
    Peregrinetundriusmale1BF.jpg
    320.8 KB · Views: 74
  • Peregrinetundriusmale3BF.jpg
    Peregrinetundriusmale3BF.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 63
  • Peregrinetundriusmale2.jpg
    Peregrinetundriusmale2.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 68
Not sure about the subspecies; North American Peregrines have been so moved around to breeding sites that i think the subspecies are not as clearly demarcated as in the past.

The prey looks like a Least Bittern

Andy

Not up to speed on subspecific ID of juv Peregrines from the New world. But I'd say the pale crown and largely white cheek would point towards a Northern bird and indeed to tundrius

Hi all

Thanks for the replies. Not sure the prey is tickable :). Certainly not by me, as I didn't take the first two photos. I only took the later ones.

I was actually thinking the prey item was a young Purple Gallinule, as the toes just seemed too long for any heron species, especially with the central toe so much longer than the outer two.

I know there is a zone of integradation between 'anatum' and 'tundrius', but if birds of mixed races have been used in the re-introduction schemes, then it is probably best left as indeterminate race.

Wish whatever it was carrying was flying around and on my list and not its dinner :).

Cheers

Sean

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back