• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rain Forest Bird Photography (1 Viewer)

CJW

Hit-and-run WUM
Hi chaps (and chappesses), I was wondering if any of you had any tips on bird photography in the 'gloom' and dappled, backlit, sunlight of rainforests.
For instance do any of you use flash? If so, what/which would you recommend?
I'll be taking my 20D and 100-400IS to Costa rica next Spring and would like to get the best out of them.

Chris:
Went to Costa Rica a couple of years ago and the one piece of equipment we left behind was our flash units. They are vital in the rainforest.
As far as a recommendation of unit, I'd suggest the 580EX, since it has dial-in exposure compensation and mode changes (making it much more user-friendly than previous models). And I'd add a Better Beamer flash extender.
Hope this helps ... enjoy your trip.

cheers,
jim

Cheers Jim, James Eaton recommended the exact same flash unit, so I've been and gone and bought one from Warehouse Express.
I'll come gunning for the pair of you if it's crap!! ;)

A good flash unit will be indispensable.........especially if combined with a flash extender unit such as the 'Better Beamer' suggested by Arthur.
In case you're in any doubt here is an example of what can happen when you have no flash unit handy: ;)

'A sudden loud whistle rings out followed rapidly by a further 4 descending notes. Only 20 paces away in the deep shade of the forest floor a small black-faced brown bird with a cocked tail & a jaunty gait walks casually into view turning over leaves as it goes. A very poorly attempted mimic of the bird's call miraculously has it fooled & it changes direction walking crake-like into full view in the camera viewfinder. With a thrill of excitement the shutter is repeatedly depressed machinegun-like & a long series of images of the bizarre infrequently photographed Black-faced Antthrush are captured for posterity.
Sadly elation turns to despair as despite image stabilisation & a high ISO setting I have forgotten the sodding flash & instead of quality images of an outstanding bird I have a series of blurred pics of brown crap.'

Let this sad tale of woe be a warning to all you rain forest birders with camera in tow!!
This terrible story is fresh in my mind....happening only 2 weeks ago! ;)

.....here is one of the crap images taken in the rain forest of the Arima valley in northern Trinidad.
Oh, I forgot to mention my non-birding wife got crippling views of one of these birds when it crossed a sunlit path just in front of her!!

Attachments

• Black faced Antthrush.jpg
    Black faced Antthrush.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 250
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back