• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can you help me ID this bird (1 Viewer)

jamesrtaylor

Hi
I photographed this bird on 14th August at Vane Farm in Fife in the woodlands.
The bird is at least the size of a blackbird, maybe a little larger.
I keep getting told it's a finch but it is much larger

Attachments

• unknown.jpg
    unknown.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 165
Hi
I photographed this bird on 14th August at Vane Farm in Fife in the woodlands.
The bird is at least the size of a blackbird, maybe a little larger.
I keep getting told it's a finch but it is much larger

It can not be the size of a blackbird compared to the needles and twigs of the tree, as the tree on which it sits is Scots pine (Pinus silvestris). so either you have also mutant monster scots pines and unknown giant finches in Fife , or this is a female chaffinch on a scots pine ...;)

Correct estimation of size of an unknown bird is one of the most difficult things in birding . we all got it wrong some time already, I guess...

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back