• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Superb Red-necked, Slavonian and Black-necked Grebes, and a vanishing Hoopoe... (1 Viewer)

Alan Hobson

I had four extremely enjoyable birding days over the Easter long weekend [managed to fit in some marking too, I should stress, in case any of my students are reading this!], with many excellent birds more than making up for one big disappointment.

On the first day, Good Friday, went off for what proved to be a surprisingly leisurely trip round some top sites in Essex. Saw Scaup and Yellow Wagtails [including one with superbly bright plumage] at Abberton Reservoir, having already picked up Ruff, Avocets, and Spotted Redshank at Old Hall Marsh.

At Fingringhoe Wick, saw Little Egrets, Bar-tailed Godwits and a delightful [presumably escaped] Flamingo. Finally, to Haningfield Reservoir, and came across Slavonian Grebes [attractive summer plumage] and Red-crested Pochards.

On the Saturday I just made a brief, flying trip out to Haningfield Reservoir [note to my students: because I was doing so much marking...] to catch the Red-necked Grebe which had just arrived. It was rather impressive in its summer plumage. Also Red-crested Pochards again.

Easter Sunday - a report of the Hoopoe at White Lodge farm, Northants, still there today! Do I go on the long, long trip up there? Well, I do love Hoopoes, and I've only ever seen one in the UK, so off I went....and when I got there, found it was an erroneous report, and it hadn't been seen all day. So, if you are the person who put out that false report, which caused some of us to journey long distances to see this impressive bird...I forgive you [he growled].

All the more easier to forgive, though, as I saw Marsh Tits there, plus (well, whilst I was up there...) Yellow and White Wagtails at Eye Brook Reservoir - and Black-necked Grebes there. This made three lovely species of uncommon Grebe in three days. Also saw Red Kites nearby, and journeyed to view the splendid Eleanor Cross at Geddington on the way back. So what started out as a huge disappointment turned into another good day.

And then, yesterday, on the last of the four, having ventured up to the wilds of Bradwell-on-Sea (where saw Little Egret, Grey Plovers, Ringed Plovers and Golden Plovers) I went to Abberton to try and see the elusive Long-tailed Duck. It had only been seen once all day, first thing (unless someone had seen it and kept quiet). A lot of birders gave up, but after much travelling round the reservoir (including up by Abberton church for a long distance view of one bit) - and spotting more Slavonian Grebes - I located it. Yes!!! A birder who was with me in the hide came over and saw it too, and then after a few minutes, it disappeared again into a blind spot on the reservoir which isn't readily viewed from anywhere. Ah well, a few minutes is good enough...But apparently it came out again later anyway.

And so endeth the tale. It made for a hugely enjoyable long weekend. But here I am now, back at work [he sighed].......

Congrats on an excellent weekend. Thankfully you got your L T Duck but you might not have realised that when you went to Northants / Leics there was a long staying one at Stanford which is close to the A14/M1 at junct 19. It has been there for ages and is still being reported there.

Sounds like you enjoyed your Easter break :)

I've been waiting for the Hoopoe to reappear so i could go for a look, having never seen one in my two years birding (still plenty of time i guess).
Guess it's not going to by the sound of it :-(
Oh well, i'll say my Hoopoe prays every night, maybe i'll be my garden next time ;-)

Hi Alan

sounds like a great weekend, can't match it but had a very nice Easter Monday stroll around Hanningfield with a bonus of two Black-necked Grebes. It was lovely with Chiffchaffs chiff chaffing and some very showy Blackcaps. To be honest it was a great brding Easter.

Maybe we should have an unofficial Essex bash to sample the joys of such an underrated county.

A very good weekend, Alan, and a nice report. Glad you had a nice time in beautiful Northamptonshire, even if you went there under false pretences!

well all this is my neck of the woods! was at Hanningfield last weekend and saw the Slavonian Grebes and the Red crested Pochards (the latter are resident at Hanningfield I believe). Then this weekend we went over to Fingringhoe which was full of chiffchaffs and blackcaps, there was a Little Grebe on the lake and I was also fortunate enough to spot a Goldcrest in the trees who posed nicely for me. Didn't see the flamingo though, the tide was wrong, he comes on on the high tide. He's been there since about December. On the way home popped into Abberton. loads of very nice Great Crested Grebes and apparently to Slavonians but they were too far away to see. There were several sightings of the Yellow wagtails reported but again we missed them :C

Essex is a very good county for birding, can also recommend East Tilbury and my own area of Maldon and Heybridge.

Planning a trip to Two Tree Island near Leigh this weekend, haven't been there before but it is a major breeding area for avocets.

Viv said:
Planning a trip to Two Tree Island near Leigh this weekend, haven't been there before but it is a major breeding area for avocets.

Hi Viv,I was at Two Tree this morning and today's count was 59 Avocet;that is from the West side where there is a nice hide.A Spotted Redshank from the same hide added to a very pleasant morning.

Grousemore said:
Hi Viv,I was at Two Tree this morning and today's count was 59 Avocet;that is from the West side where there is a nice hide.A Spotted Redshank from the same hide added to a very pleasant morning.

Excellent! I do like avocets. I shall look forward to my trip on Sunday all the more now!

Hi Reader, Pete, Dave, Fifebirder and Jeff,

Glad you enjoyed the report!

Reader - you're quite right, I didn't know about the L-T Duck by the A14/M1 junction. It's a good job I saw it at Abberton!

Pete - a very good idea, us Essex lot ought to meet up at some point. And yes, you're right, Essex is underrated.

Viv - agree with your comments about Essex too. I have fond memories of Two Tree Island, because I saw a lovely view of a Grasshopper Warbler [my first ever] there last year.

Andrew [Fifebirder] - yes, an apt summing up by you of my Northamptonshire excursion: it was indeed enjoyable despite being lured there under false pretences!

Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back