• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Strange leucistic Great Tit (1 Viewer)

PAA

Hi everyone

In our ringing sessions in Parque Biológico de Gaia (Portugal) we've caught a very strange female Great Tit (Parus major). Please see the photos:

http://anilhagemdeaves.weebly.com/parusmajor.html

The bird looks pale all around. I've searched for an answer, but it doesn't seem to fit the established colour aberrations. I've read Hein van Grouw's excellent and thourough article (see here: http://www.vogelringschier.nl/DB28%282%2979-89_2006.pdf), but nothing seems to match. The first thing that one notices in the bird is some of the black feathers are whitish, which is to be expected in a leucistic bird. However, according to Grouw, cases where individual feathers are partially discolored are rare, and you can see that clearly in the tail feathers.

I'd go with the bird having a rare type of leucism, but what about the white patches in blue and green feathers in the wing and back? These colours are not produced by pigments... surely the bird shouldn't have two colour disorders caused by two unrelated problems. Unfortunatelly I forgot to take a good shot at the yellow belly, but I recall the bird also being pale there!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Pedro

I've moved your post to the ID forum, as I think you may get more help in there.

D

Thanks delia! I searched for previous discussions on colour aberrations and found some had taken place at "Birds and Birding" forum, so thought that would be the best place to post.

Sorry for bumping the thread, but doesn't anyone have any idea about what this is? Has anyone ever seen a bird like this, even if it's from another species?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back