• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

OK so I got ~ $200 (maybe $250) (1 Viewer)

Briggz

and I am looking for my first nice set of bins. I have read through MANY post, searched the internet, asked opiniopns from those I know who may know optics so now I am down to asking you nice people.

Basically I am torn between the 8 x 42 2009 DB and the same size ZRS. I really like the warrenty from Vortex but heard lots of great things about the ZRs. I don't have the $ to buy both and compare. Any last thought to swing me one way or the other?

My thanks in advance

Some of us don't like the color bias in the ZRS that would bias me to the new DBs (though I've not seen them though I did have a pair of the old DBs).

The field flattener in the ZRS is nice. But the DB has a wider overall field but not sharp to the edge.

I recommend trying them both because deciding between both of these features is a rather personal issue. Even though you say you can't. Perhaps one months credit card interest (if you can't cover it) and shipping back the unwanted bin is perhaps worth getting the right bin.

Well Zen Ray offers a 30 day money back trial period. Same deal with Eagle Optics where you could get a Diamondback. So I would suggest you pick one and try it. Frankly, if that one (whichever one you get first) suited you, I would be tempted to tell you to keep it. You will find it hard to send that one back and get the other one, because you really need them side by side.

What I try to do in your shoes is to time the binocular deal so that I can get the credit back for the one I don't keep in time to pay whatever else I might have to pay. It is a bit of a pain to have all of the obligation on the card at once, but it is offset by a higher assurance of getting the one you like the best.

Here's the thing. While I happen to like the ZRS, as Kevin points out there is a reddish color bias he doesn't like. Now are you more like Kevin or Me in that regard?

I agree with both Kevin and Steve. Steve did a nice job of hitting the high and low points of each model. I think you would probably be genuinely happy with either model and like the idea of ordering both and then returning one.

May I also suggest you consider the Leupold Cascade porro and the new Bushnell Legend Ultra HD as well? Both are in your price range. The former has been fairly heavily reviewed here while the latter has just now hit the market.

Another possibility is to order the ZRS and to find a local VOrtex dealer and do a compare at the store. Then return the ZRS if you decide to keep the DB.

Not even an overlap in billing with that. Just wait for the refund for the ZRS before you by the DB if you decide to go that route.

One other binocular you might consider is the Leupold Acadia. I have not used them in the field at all, but those I have looked at seem like pretty decent binoculars. Leupold has dealers all over the place, so it may be reasonably easy to find one in a store to at least look at.

Good suggestion Steve. I had forgotten about the Leupold Acadia. I had a chance to finally look through a pair at the local Cabelas a week or two ago and was reasonably impressed with the performance vs. price comparison.

Another possibility is to order the ZRS and to find a local VOrtex dealer and do a compare at the store. Then return the ZRS if you decide to keep the DB.

Not even an overlap in billing with that. Just wait for the refund for the ZRS before you by the DB if you decide to go that route.

maybe even compare ZRS with vortex Viper. On another thread, someone had some favorable comment on ZRS in that comparison.

maybe even compare ZRS with vortex Viper. On another thread, someone had some favorable comment on ZRS in that comparison.

That was SteveC ... who doesn't have a problem with the color bias of the ZRS. Not an issue for Steve. But issue for me.

The problem isn't in the sharpness or contrast between these two bins (I suspect they're in the same ballpark) it's other features that only the end user can really make a decision about.

Well I ordered the ZRS and will compare them to the Diamondbacks. Unfortunatly the only place around here that carries them is WBU and they do not have the 09 models. Do the best I can. I appreciate the comments from everyone.

Out of curiosity are the older (2008) DB a good deal at $159? I was think that route as well maybe .....

The older DB were OK but I think $160 is a bit high. I resold mine for $140. Still it's a decent bin. If you like it and the price is good then go for it. You could do a lot worse ;)

well I got eh ZRS this afternoon and I have to say I am inpressed, not that this means much since I really have no base for comparison but they are very clear, bright and there does not appear to be any red tint to them

well I got eh ZRS this afternoon and I have to say I am inpressed, not that this means much since I really have no base for comparison but they are very clear, bright and there does not appear to be any red tint to them

The thing about color bias is that different people are affected by it differently. I was not/am not bothered by it, but some are. Put the ocular up close to a white sheet of paper and look back through the objective and you should be able to see a slight red cast when comparing the visible image against the paper to the background color of the paper.

Or... just don't worry about it. ;)

Color biases are like stray light or chromatic aberration or subtle distortions ... don't go looking for them. Yet.

That way madness lies ;)

I agree. I will never be able to pick up another pair of binoculars again and not see some CA in them. Don't go looking for problems if you cannot find them initially.

Good advice but that can become a very expensive proposition.

;)

I bought A pair of Pentax XCF off ebay. I know they're not high end bins but they're okay and I was very happy to pay 20 of my Great British pounds for them when they retail at over £100.

Derek

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back