• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Long-tailed Blues - Kent (1 Viewer)

Quick update to add a some more info to that already posted.

I arrived at 0830 and the female from yesterday was being watched by about half a dozen very appreciative observers in the southernmost section of Everlasting Pea - a place she returned to time and again, still being present when I left at midday. When approaching from the south, this is the first clump on the seaward side of the road before you get to any houses - just look for the flattened grass!

Lee Gregory and I then located a worn male with 1 tail streamer, level with the chalet 'Moonraker', which showed well to about 5 observers before flying across the road towards the garden of the chalet. Some 30 minutes later another male, this one much fresher with two full tails showed on the clifftop bushes, so only about 50 yards from the other male - this was seen by about 10 people but soon moved off.

I left the site at midday but Lee managed to find another 5 LTB's early afternoon, all on Everlasting Pea - they're quite unobtrusive often sitting tight and also feeding on the underside of flowers.

The place is simply heaving with butterflies. Whilst walking to and from Bockhill I noted hundreds of Marbled Whites, Chalkhill Blues, Brown Argus, Common Blue and both common whites. Also smaller numbers of Small Copper, several Small Blue, Clouded Yellow and lovely to see Wall Browns - not seen those locally for ages!

Other insects seen included a Small Red-eyed Damselfly, literally 'bucketloads' of Silver Y's, a few Dusky Sallows on the Knapweed, Long-winged Conehead and a few interesting ichneumon/sand wasps along the way. 14 Whimbrel also flew south during the morning.

A great morning out, highly recommended and very nice to catch up with Long-tailed Blue at last. Thanks also to Marc Heath for his speedy reply to my emails yesterday, it is appreciated.

Lots of pics taken and will post them when edited (Edit: Now attached, including the view you're greeted with when walking from Bockhill).

Stu

Last edited:
Good report, wish I could afford to travel down there. There was a good display of pyramidal orchids there earlier in the year as well.
Dave

For me driving from home, just west of Cambridge, it was 140 miles each way (per Google maps) and £2 a pop for the Dartford Tunnel, so about £30.

From Dartford, probably less than half the cost. Certainly the closest Long-tailed Blue I've ever had the chance of. My last attempt was in Devon!

S

It would cost us £20 for a round trip and that £20 we haven't got. Affordability isn't measured in terms of cost but is more relevant in terms of income and whats left after roof and food are paid for.
Anyway wish we could afford a trip down there, however, weather looks windy and wet for a few days.
Dave

Had a crack today, very windy and only a couple of brief sightings - no pix unfortunately. There was a terrific array of butterflies present with the highlights being obviously LTB, also Clouded Yellow flew through and a Silver-spotted Skipper did perch for pix as did Walls. We no longer see the last in NE Hampshire so its always nice to catch up with them!

John

There has been a female Long tailed Blue found this morning on the North coast of Kent just east of Reculver. There are lots of everlasting Pea plants here so I suggest others may be present, who knows! It's raining hard here currently 12.10pm but I will hopefully get out this afternoon for a look although the forecast does not look great, tomorrow should be better. My advise, check those pea plants near you!!

Marc

Three reported from sweet peas opposite Pentire House, Kingsdown. Weather forecast looks ok for tomorrow.

Grateful for any additional directions as there seems to be two Kingsdowns in Kent. I presume it's the Kingsdown by the coast.

Thank-you in anticipation, Phil

Last edited:
Three reported from sweet peas opposite Pentire House, Kingsdown. Weather forecast looks ok for tomorrow.

Grateful for any additional directions as there seems to be two Kingsdowns in Kent. I presume it's the Kingsdown by the coast.

Thank-you in anticipation, Phil

Yes it is, I might see you there as my welsh pelagic has just been cancelled and I would still like pix of the LTB!

John

Yes it is, I might see you there as my welsh pelagic has just been cancelled and I would still like pix of the LTB!

John

Thanks John. All being well, I should be there mid morning.

Also, a Temminck's Stint reported today at Oare Marshes, may be good 'back up' tomorrow.

Phil

Thanks John. All being well, I should be there mid morning.

Also, a Temminck's Stint reported today at Oare Marshes, may be good 'back up' tomorrow.

Phil

In the week the Temminck's has been on the pools west of the road so light-wise, probably better in the morning.

John

I went back to Kingsdown today and parked at the foot of the cliff at the Kingsdown end. Contra previous estimates, if you want a short walk (five mins) instead of a long slog this is definitely the end to go for!

That said nearly all the LTB are tatty now: however I did better than on Thursday and got both underwings and upperwings of a male Long-tailed Blue that was more complete than the Hampshire one of some years ago.

Quite a few Clouded Yellows rocketing through but none provided me with a photo-opportunity.

John

I went back to Kingsdown today and parked at the foot of the cliff at the Kingsdown end. Contra previous estimates, if you want a short walk (five mins) instead of a long slog this is definitely the end to go for!

That said nearly all the LTB are tatty now: however I did better than on Thursday and got both underwings and upperwings of a male Long-tailed Blue that was more complete than the Hampshire one of some years ago.

Quite a few Clouded Yellows rocketing through but none provided me with a photo-opportunity.

John

Hi all,

Any sightings at all this week?

Might head down tomorrow.

Cheers,

Andy.

Edit: I did find a Long-tailed Blue whilst dipping Chestnut-sided Warbler. Probably one of the best things I've found! Saw it as it came in off the sea and fluttered down from a great height and after ten/twenty minutes it obligingly landed at my feet.

Last edited:
I haven't seen any reports anywhere since last Sunday when I visited. Some were very tatty then + we've had 2 very wet days since then so maybe expired, but possibly there'll be an emergence late September/early Ocotber if we have some decent conditions.

I do hope this population has genuinely wild origins. Never understood why people feel the need to unofficially release butterflies into new locations, without any kind of pre-planning by a conservation body.

Reminds me of a Glanville Fritillary population that came to light in Surrey in 2011. Don't get me wrong, lovely to look at, but what does it add to the practical conservation of the wild coastal population to have such an unnatural northerly population?

Actually Glanville Fritillaries were once found as far north as Lincolnshire in the past, but I get your point.

Actually Glanville Fritillaries were once found as far north as Lincolnshire in the past, but I get your point.

Conversely, when one is talking about native or previously native species, why on earth should the informed citizen concede the entire right of action to non-statutory bodies that tend to be utterly risk averse?

If someone identifies s lost species whose habitat still exists, and has the funds and ability to do something about it, then good luck to them. They aren't committing an offence, so its nobody else's business.

This was a free country once, as I recall. Don't be in such a hurry to hold your hands out to be cuffed, and your minds sucked dry of all initiative.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back