• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bluejay and grackle share suet-QTVideo (1 Viewer)

alarson2

The Village Vidiot
I had to work today so I set up the camcorder for "surveillance mode." It can record for six hours on to a hard disk. When I came home I was able to hook the hard drive up to my computer and scrub through the recording. A totally digital and tapeless recording.

I saw two things that I had never seen before- a bluejay feasting from a suet block and a robin, up on the feeder, very near to taking a bite of the suet. The robin appears for just a couple seconds.

iMovie

awesome video Alan, I am finally able to view them. I re installed it. wahoo.

what kind of suet do you put in the cage? I have been using a peanut suet and I am trying to attract woodpeckers. we have tons around here, but we don't see them often enough. I am going to move my suet feeder closer to the house for I didn' realize so many birds like it.

I am feeding the jays peanuts and mealy worms... they are cool birds. I think the robin that flew in was camera shy)-

Alan, judging from the fly-bys seen in that video, you have a good number of bluejays. I was wondering too... do you not get starlings? They are raiding the suet here now like they do every spring. I don't mind in early spring because they clean out all the winter leftovers but I won't put much fresh stuff out now until they tone down a bit in a few weeks or a month.

The clip of the robin was funny. It's like it knew it was being watched! I agree with Boxer95... it looked camera shy! ;)

By the way Boxer95, you may want to try suet that has fruit and nuts in it. Orange is the most popular flavor in my yard. Just make sure you use one that states it's good for year round feeding or you may have trouble with it melting into a gloopy mess in warmer weather.

Well done Boxer95- I'm glad you got the thing to work. I know that stuff is pretty tricky sometimes.

I just use the suet that they sell at the local Kroger. It is only 69 cents a block but these neighborhood birds just love it. And I never really fed it until this past winter. But now, I will never be without it on the feeder. I have had more fun watching the birds enjoy it. So far, since Christmas, I have seen downeys, redbellies, wrens, chickadees, pine warblers, ruby crowned kinglets, doves, cardinals, blue jays, grackles, and maybe more- all eat from the suet block. Here are some scans from the fronts of the suet packages I use.

Boxer95, where do you live- approximately, where is WNC? I just want to know what country or state- not you address.

Attachments

• Suet1.jpg
    Suet1.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 98
  • Suet2.jpg
    Suet2.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Tammie said:
Alan, judging from the fly-bys seen in that video, you have a good number of bluejays. I was wondering too... do you not get starlings? They are raiding the suet here now like they do every spring. I don't mind in early spring because they clean out all the winter leftovers but I won't put much fresh stuff out now until they tone down a bit in a few weeks or a month.

The clip of the robin was funny. It's like it knew it was being watched! I agree with Boxer95... it looked camera shy! ;)

By the way Boxer95, you may want to try suet that has fruit and nuts in it. Orange is the most popular flavor in my yard. Just make sure you use one that states it's good for year round feeding or you may have trouble with it melting into a gloopy mess in warmer weather.

Hi Tammie-

I have seen as many as 4 bluejays at one time here in the HoodWoods- But I am sure that there are more than that around. They are so darn full of themselves- I love it when they come to the feeder. Always good for a show.

Come to think of it now, I have not seen many starlings this year. I used to see them in the flocks of grackles that came around but not lately. I see one occasionally but not on my feeder- They are at Wendy's or BurgerKing- in the parking lot eating french fries that folks toss out of their cars.

alarson2 said:
Come to think of it now, I have not seen many starlings this year. I used to see them in the flocks of grackles that came around but not lately. I see one occasionally but not on my feeder- They are at Wendy's or BurgerKing- in the parking lot eating french fries that folks toss out of their cars.

**LOL** you got that right...I was happy to see that the little buggers were over at Micky D's yesterday!
For the first time I have a colony of grackles raiding the fruit tray set for the orioles and catbirds and house finches....remarkably, no starlings even around the suet (which hasn't been too much of a problem anyway since I got the log that you fill with suet plugs...suet is a bit pricier but it has no cracked corn in it, which is why the big black guys tend to leave it in favor or something else, plus it doesn't have perches so they have to be more clever to get at it)
shelley

Hi alan, I live in Hendersonville NC, its very close to Asheville. I am a transplant from California where I lived for almost 40 years. I lived in a big city and wasn't into birds cuz I really didn't have any tree's so they didn't come to my garden...cant believe I made this move but I have no regrets. I have been getting my suet from Lowes and just sent hubby out to get more with a suet feeder so I can see what it attracts. you have such a variety in your yard, I will be looking forward to your video's every day now:)- my backyard is also birdie paradise to, I am very rural and have tons and tons of big old tree's around, with lots of open lawn area's as well, I have many perchable tree's around and a nice flowing creek so they can drink. I also have a swimming pool, can't wait to get in:)

p.s. I have a pair of Eastern Phoebe's nesting in my awning, that is a really neat bird, have you heard there song? they don't eat any seed but they are fun to watch in my yard... I also watched them build there nest with stuff I put out for them. it was a neat site to watch.. I also have a bird house I put up, and it was supposed to be for a bluebird. but a cute carolina chickadee has been building her nest in it. can't wait to see those babies. do you have houses around as well? I just bought a heated bird bath, now that will be cool in the winter.
take care,
Lisa

Oh WOW! the Great Smokies right? BlueRidge Mountains? Home of the Cherokee and other native Americans. What a beautiful spot you landed in!! Now I'm jealous!! You should really be able to do some serious bird watching there. WNC- western North Carolina. I gave that a thought when I was trying to put a fix on your location. So welcome to the bird forum- I hope you like it!

I have about six bird houses around the yard- they have mostly been trashed out by the squirrels. They gnaw the holes and make them big enough to get into. I'm really not to worried about it though because in an environment like this, there are plenty of natural places for the buds to nest. They were doing it before I put up the bird houses and they still do it.

Glad you like my video posts- Thank you.

those squirrels are sooooo annoying. they are in all of my feeders, even ones that are supposed to squirrel proof. I even bought them there own feeder with there own food but they want my black oil seed... they are little brats, but what can you do??? I was sick over it at first but I have succomed to them.. I have hundreds around my property. I would end up in an insane asylum if I let it really get to me...

I know- I feel the same way- In fact I have already become at least partially insane because of them. What they need is more natural enemies. I would personally like to execute about a hundred per day for at least 6 months. That would help me a lot. I would feel much better if I could strangle a few with my bare hands, shoot some, drown some, and torture- yes- even torture some. I have dreams about it. Especially the ones that drop down from the roof on to the top of the umbrella and send every bird on the feeder scattering in all directions. There must be a way to get rid of them!! Nothing is squirrel proof- I don't care what they say on the box or in the advertising.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back