• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great start to the day (1 Viewer)

songbird6666

Just went to re-fill my feeders on the back fence to be greeted by blood and feathers everywhere. It looks like one of my precious goldfinches or siskins has been got by that ****ing cat. I am so furious. Sorry. My fence is 5 feet high. Last year I put wobbly trellis along the top so that a cat which lurks in what is laughing called a garden from the house behind mine couldn't jump out of the long grass and swipe them off (I had seen it doing it) So next thing I know is the son clears the garden, and they now have half-built decking, right up to my fence, which is over 2 feet (yes two feet) above the normal ground level. Consequently, my fence in now waist high from their side. I've never seen anything such a bodge and so ridiculous in my life. They built it up on 18" breeze blocks so they didn't need to level the uneven ground I suppose, then there is 9" wooden planks, topped with the decking. And there's stuff all I can do about it, apart from putting barbed wire all along the top, but I doubt that would stop the cat either.

As if that wasn't enough, I went round to let the chickens out and found a dead, naked baby bird laying on the lawn. Big bird, could be a blackbird chick I guess. No marks on it at all, so can't blame the cat on that one I guess.

Sorry, rant over.

It's never a nice sight to greet you is it.

Couldn't you try putting up some chicken wire on the top of the fence, not very attractive I know, but it may help? Or even that trellis fencing, and grow some ivy or whatever up it? That way, you wont be able to see your neighbours "fantastic" decking and they won't be able to see you.

Hmm, perhaps it's time to give your neighbours a tin of food for their 'hungry' feline, or, make a present of a collar with flashing lights and a couple of bells on?

Would it be possible to move the feeders?

apart from putting barbed wire all along the top, but I doubt that would stop the cat either.

not a good idea, if someone injured themselves (even if trespassing) they could claim damages.

nothing to stop you growing something prickly, climbing roses etc.

I think moving the feeders is the best option, although the birds will no doubt still perch on top of the fence. The cat doesn't belong to the people behind, it comes from somewhere else along the road, whenever I have asked who it belongs to, its always very vague as to where exactly, I chased the damn thing out of the garden last night as it was getting dark, so I'm pretty sure it would have come back. It just loves going to toilet on my lawn, can't be bothered to dig and bury it either.

songbird said:
And there's stuff all I can do about it, apart from putting barbed wire all along the top, but I doubt that would stop the cat either.

Quite right - it wouldn't stop the cat from getting in, if it really wanted to. And as Richard says, you could find yourself with a claim for damages.

When we had cats some time ago, one of them ventured into a neighbours' garden where he had put up barbed wire along the boundary. One day we found a huge gash on his side, which caused us some hefty vet bills. We had no proof, of course, that this is where it happened, but we did otherwise get on with the neighbours, so there was no question of claiming damages.

The cat never did any damage there, and he was the only one of the three to go over the fence, he just found a quiet place to sleep - all our cats used our rather large garden for their toilet!

I may be wrong, but I'm sure there are some regulations about what you can put up as a deterrent. Shrubs are the best bet.

I wouldn't really put up barbed wire, because I hate the stuff myself. But how do landowners get away with it then? If you aren't allowed to put it on your own boundaries for fear of getting sued, even by trespassers, what about the millions of miles of barbed wire fences round virtually every piece of farmland? So someone climbs a farmer's fence to go across his field, falls, and rips himself to shreds, and can sue???? The world's gone mad.

By the way, it was a goldfinch. I am even more upset now. I had a good investigation of the feathers, and I know it's a horrible thing to say,but I was so hoping it would have been a blue tit. There's lots of them, and so few of the others. I have now removed all the feeders from the fence and fixed them temporarily on my rotary clothes line. I am very limited for space unfortunately. It's only about 14 feet to the fence from my living room window, a tiny little patch of lawn. I think I will invest in one of the metal spikes that you can attach the feeders to and be able to move it around, which isn't a bad idea anyhow. Trouble is under the grass is loads of slate and rock, so will be lucky finding anywhere to spike it!

songbird said:
By the way, it was a goldfinch. I am even more upset now. I had a good investigation of the feathers, and I know it's a horrible thing to say,but I was so hoping it would have been a blue tit. There's lots of them, and so few of the others. I have now removed all the feeders from the fence and fixed them temporarily on my rotary clothes line. I am very limited for space unfortunately. It's only about 14 feet to the fence from my living room window, a tiny little patch of lawn. I think I will invest in one of the metal spikes that you can attach the feeders to and be able to move it around, which isn't a bad idea anyhow. Trouble is under the grass is loads of slate and rock, so will be lucky finding anywhere to spike it!

We have more Goldfinches than Blue Tits!

Our garden is only small and we have the spike feeder poles which we are able to move around. Our garden was full of builders' rubble, so the spikes were a little difficult to drive in, but they're in enough to be pretty stable. (see THIS thread)

I have seen a cat or two prowling along the fence, but I'm determined not to encourage them, even though I like cats. If necessary, I will get a water pistol, but at the moment they shoot off as soon as we open the kitchen door.

Last edited:
Oh that is so sad. I am sorry, not a good day for you. I am so relieved there aren't any cats in my neighborhood. they literally SCARE me and I think they are the creepiest of all critters, and I have large dogs, but cats still freak me out..... I am thankful for no kitties in my life. poor little bird.. rest in peace birdie.

Lisa

But how do landowners get away with it then? If you aren't allowed to put it on your own boundaries for fear of getting sued, even by trespassers, what about the millions of miles of barbed wire fences round virtually every piece of farmland?

a barbed wire fence is a different matter, it's the issue of putting something on top of a fence or wall that is the problem.

I think you can cover yourself by putting up signs, I have seen that done round here with anti vandal paint on top of a wall if that makes sense. Cue the cats can't read gags.

Mick

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back