• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Will my bluebirds return? (1 Viewer)

Conniebet

I'm brand new to the BirdForum, so I am probably posting this entirely wrong, but it doesn't negate my need for advice. The past 3 years I've had 3 broods of bluebirds in my back yard in Charlotte, N.C. As recently as Saturday morning at 7 a.m. I saw the male bluebird at the entrance to their favorite house and then I saw the male and female sitting on a limb together nearby.

We've seen occasional European starlings in our yard over the past 10 days and some grackles and crows as well.
Anyway, it looks as if the bluebirds have disappeared. My question is whether anyone has experienced this and, if so, is it possible that the bluebirds will return to our yard this season? And if they might return, should we clean the oldest nest out of the birdhouse or leave well enough alone?

I'm disappointed and, as you could expect, sad.

Thanks for your replies.

Connie.

Conniebet said:
I'm brand new to the BirdForum, so I am probably posting this entirely wrong, but it doesn't negate my need for advice. The past 3 years I've had 3 broods of bluebirds in my back yard in Charlotte, N.C. As recently as Saturday morning at 7 a.m. I saw the male bluebird at the entrance to their favorite house and then I saw the male and female sitting on a limb together nearby.

We've seen occasional European starlings in our yard over the past 10 days and some grackles and crows as well.
Anyway, it looks as if the bluebirds have disappeared. My question is whether anyone has experienced this and, if so, is it possible that the bluebirds will return to our yard this season? And if they might return, should we clean the oldest nest out of the birdhouse or leave well enough alone?

I'm disappointed and, as you could expect, sad.

Thanks for your replies.

Connie.

Don't give up yet! THey seem to be late getting organized this year. They are probably checking out their options. I would clean out the old nest tonight so it is spanking clean at dawn.

WMcLean said:
Don't give up yet! THey seem to be late getting organized this year. They are probably checking out their options. I would clean out the old nest tonight so it is spanking clean at dawn.

I have not seen the starlings in a couple of days (but I am also at work during the regular day). I haven't seen -- or heard -- the bluebirds. Do you think I should put something to attract their attention on the house? Some people say putting something blue in the bird house will attract them....

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back