• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Urgent baby bird advice needed. (1 Viewer)

CyberDoc

Vagrant Birder
Hi,

My kids found a baby shrike below a chinar tree in my garden. I went through the following thread just to be sure:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=36564

The youngster appears to be feathered and its parents are around. The problem is however is that a crow seems mighty interested in the fledgling and a large alsation belonging to my brother also has the run of the garden.

So should I try to return the bird to its nest?

try to return it to its nest when the parents are away as quickly as possible if not then let nature take its course

I managed to return the baby bird to its nest but later noticed another of its siblings in a flower-bed below the tree. Maybe they are jumping out or the parents are pushing them out. The nest seems quite crowded with 5-6 baby shrikes including the one I put back. There are a number of feral cats on the property and any bird unable to fly may not stand a fair chance of survival. Any more ideas would be appreciated.

The attached photo may give an idea about the stage of development and ability to fly:
http://www.kashmirnetwork.com/birds/stuff/shrikebaby.jpg

Hi, I can't offer any advice but wish you and the shrikes the best of luck! Keep us posted on their progress please!

Update: This evening I saw one of the fledglings being fed by a parent much higher up in the chinar tree than the nest. So they are probably capable of moving around in the branches & hopefully all are gonna be OK.

Update: Just one of the six young shrikes seems to have survived out of the six or so chicks in the nest. Is this a normal survival ratio?

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back