• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Outback 2005 / 09 (1 Viewer)

birdman

Орнитол&
Because I have seem to have acquired this social-life of late, it was 17 days between consecutive trips outback.

Even then I had to make a last minute (ish) decision, taking advantage of the lighter evenings and the improved weather.

So, on Tuesday 19th, on my own, I took me and my binoculars for a walk.

I'd been itching to get out for some while - missing the lovely weather on Sunday just making things worse!

Well, it was evening time, and the sky was almost completely overcast, so I expected to get little more than a few indistinguishable silhouettes in the gloom, apart from the "bankers", that is.

As it turned out, I wasn't far wrong, but the light and activity were sufficient that I picked up a few decent sightings (in fact I think I positively saw at least one of everything except the Pheasants) and not too bad a list for a evening's stroll.

There was a good deal of bedtime activity going on, and numerous cheeps and chirps that tantalised me, but I am very pleased to report that Spring has most certainly arrived in these parts.

About a month after the first Chiffchaff, I was able to add the fist Willow Warbler of the year to the list.

There did seem to be a positive glut of Chaffinches, and I am sure I have (as usual) understated the actual numbers.

The Mute Swans seem to have settled on the pond - this year's pair (there was none last year) have hung around, and have in fact bred... or at least nested.

Mrs. Swan is curled up on a bulky nest with Mr. Swan swimming around looking suitably belligerant! I wish them well... it might be tricky raising cygnets on the pond... but the Mallards seem to manage to raise their families.

Speaking of which, today's Mallard count includes the first ducklings of the year... three in tow of one of the adult pairs.

So all in all, a very springlike evening birdwise, even if the weather was less so...

And to round it off, in the encroaching gloom, a single Swallow, perhaps catching the last meal of the day.

Plain text = Outback day tick
Bold text = Outback year tick
Bold text italic = Outback life tick
(Number in brackets is highest number of individuals identified at one time)

Grey Partridge (Perdix perdix) : 2 (2)
Pheasant (Phasianus colchicus) : 2 (1)
Mute Swan (Cygnus olor) : 2 (2)
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) : 13 (3)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula) : 1 (1)
Green Woodpecker (Picus viridis) : 4 (2)
Woodpigeon (Columba palumbus) : 2 (1)
Moorhen (Gallinula chloropus) : 1 (1)
Coot (Fulica atra) : 6 (3)
Little Grebe (Tachybaptus ruficollis) : 1 (1)
Magpie (Pica pica) : 7 (5)
Jackdaw (Corvus monedula) : 6 (6)
Carrion Crow (Corvus corone) : 3 (1)
Blackbird (Turdus merula) : 11 (2)
Robin (Erithacus rubecula) : 1 (1)
Starling (Sturnus vulgaris) : 3 (3)
Nuthatch (Sitta europaea) : 2 (1)
Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes) : 5 (1)
Great Tit (Parus major) : 5 (2)
Blue Tit (Parus caeruleus) : 5 (3)
Long-Tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus) : 2 (2)
Swallow (Hirundo rustica) : 1 (1)
Willow Warbler (Phylloscopus trochilus) : 1 (1)
Chiffchaff (Phylloscopus collybita) : 2 (1)
Skylark (Alauda arvensis) : 5 (2)
Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs) : 18 (6)
Linnet (Carduelis cannabina) : 2 (2)
Yellowhammer (Emberiza citrinella) : 2 (1)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back