• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Samamisicus Common Redstart in the UK (1 Viewer)

I am interested in the Eastern race of Common Redstart 'samamisicus' as I am unsure of the number of records of this race in the UK and the peak time to record this race in the UK. I wondered if there are any photographs available of
autumn plumaged males taken in the UK. Any details of interest.Nice birding.
Bertram BREE in Jersey, the sunniest and most southerly of the British Isles, but not part of Great Britain or the UK. The biggest tax planning centre in the British Isles.

Hi Bertram,
Firstly on behalf of all of the Moderators and the Admin staff, welcome to Bird Forum. I cannot help with the photographs but there was one reported on the Malvern Hills in Worcestershire last Saturday(25th). It had been there for a few days and kept to one of 4 trees situated very close together and was therefore easy to locate so I was told. I went there without this knowledge to look for Ring Ouzels on Sunday and found two but did not find the Redstart. There were some other birders who also had no luck and the concensus of opinion was that it had moved on.

Last edited:
This is not a current rundown but as far as I know (and with thanks to LGRE!)
Up to 1992
10 records all between 10th september & 26th October
Mainly Norfolk/Suffolk/East Yorks
Sorry I don`t have more uptodate info
I beleive the race is known as Ehrenburg`s Redstart
I think the key seperating features are darker upperparts and a prominent white wing patch

I seem to remember one here in Cornwall - possibly the Pendeen area about 10 years ago. I didn't see it but I think there was a photo of it in Birding World.

Darrell

Weren't some reviewed and rejected fairly recently, because someone discovered that hybrid Common Redstart x Black Redstart was discovered to look very similar, and couldn't be excluded for at least some of the existing records?

Michael

Hi Michael,
You're thinking of claims of "eastern" Black Redstart(races such as semirufus),which hybrid Redstart x Black Redstart can closely resemble.
Harry H

I think a lot don't get formally reported too. I recall watching one, an immature male, on Fair Isle. It was feeding next to two Yellow-browed Warblers on a cliff face. Would have been early October.

I might have got round to grilling it properly but got distracted by a loud shout of Eye-browed Thrush!

I am interested in the Eastern race of Common Redstart 'samamisicus' as I am unsure of the number of records of this race in the UK and the peak time to record this race in the UK. I wondered if there are any photographs available of
autumn plumaged males taken in the UK. Any details of interest.Nice birding.
Bertram BREE in Jersey, the sunniest and most southerly of the British Isles, but not part of Great Britain or the UK. The biggest tax planning centre in the British Isles.

One reported on Flamborough Head today.

There was a detailed article about samamisicus Common Redstart in the Feb 2009 issue of British Birds magazine.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back