• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbird Attacked! (1 Viewer)

Very well filmed and thanks for sharing. Definitely that Mantis was optimistic, but I guess it shows they have no fear.

I've seen only one Mantis here in the apartment, but as it was bigger than some of the hummers on our feeder, I suspect the outcome might not have been so certain.

A couple of years ago someone told me that they had seen a video of a dragon fly taking down a hummingbird somewhere in Texas. I was skeptical because hummingbirds are themselves very aggresive and dragon flies seem placid despite their name. Anyone familiar with such a video?

I don't understand the question.

I don't either lol, I just got into hummingbird, I should read more before asking questions.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Calliope_Hummingbird/id

why some pics it shows female/immature male? they are female first then when they get older they become male?

I have one that looks like the female/immature male, she always chase other hummingbirds away she is really mean!!! so I put up another feeder yesterday around the corner, hopefully I will get more birds. other than that what's the best way to get more birds? in youtubve I see many video where there are TONS of them drinking at the same time, and sharing

why some pics it shows female/immature male? they are female first then when they get older they become male?

They label them this way, because often the males and females in "juvenile" plumage are identical (to us, at least) or so similar as to be indistinguishable from each other, or from adult females. But no, they do not become male later - they moult (I don't know when, for hummingbirds) and then the sexual distinctions becomes apparent. At least in Ruby-throated - not all species of hummingbirds actually have distinct male/female plumages, although I think all our North American ones do.

(Not a dumb question though - if all animals are being considered. Some species of fish are entirely born female, and only turn into males later in life, in response to changing circumstances.)

It was the =Calliope that most puzzled me, actually.

have one that looks like the female/immature male, she always chase other hummingbirds away she is really mean!!! so I put up another feeder yesterday around the corner, hopefully I will get more birds

Not mean, just territorial. Sugar sources (whether they be flowers or your feeder) are a limited resource, the bird is just doing its best to survive by defending its territory.

Peter

If a mantis can kill a hummingbird it is also strong enough to break the finger of a human?

I saw a mounted skeleton of a hummingbird once - the bones are so delicate, they are barely there at all. (It's just one of life's miracles...)

I think the smallest adult human finger is probably about 100× stronger than the backbone of the average hummingbird.

They label them this way, because often the males and females in "juvenile" plumage are identical (to us, at least) or so similar as to be indistinguishable from each other, or from adult females. But no, they do not become male later - they moult (I don't know when, for hummingbirds) and then the sexual distinctions becomes apparent. At least in Ruby-throated - not all species of hummingbirds actually have distinct male/female plumages, although I think all our North American ones do.

(Not a dumb question though - if all animals are being considered. Some species of fish are entirely born female, and only turn into males later in life, in response to changing circumstances.)

It was the =Calliope that most puzzled me, actually.

Not mean, just territorial. Sugar sources (whether they be flowers or your feeder) are a limited resource, the bird is just doing its best to survive by defending its territory.

Peter

hey Peter thanks so much, those are some interesting info.

In youtubve vids I see a lot of vid where there are a lot of hummingbirds all feeding at the same time, how do I do that for my feeder? this Calliope is really territorial she chases all other birds away lol.

also saw some vid where they feed sugar water with their hands, but as soon as they see me they run away....how do they do that I wanna do that!!!!

In youtubve vids I see a lot of vid where there are a lot of hummingbirds all feeding at the same time, how do I do that for my feeder? this Calliope is really territorial she chases all other birds away lol.

also saw some vid where they feed sugar water with their hands, but as soon as they see me they run away....how do they do that I wanna do that!!!!

Being in habitat capable of supporting a high density of birds, is fundamental to attracting them. At times during a year, light triggers hormonal changes, that can reduce the territorial impulse, a small bit. As Peter points out, most hummer are aggressively territorial. Some species, more than others.

At times the immediate environment is thought to increase or decrease aggressive territorial behavior. In an area where the birds seldom face any predation, they "might" be a bit less selfish over a feeder. Theory being, that the threat of predation, can increase territorial aggression in like species, between one another. Some people have theorized a dog or cat being present, is enough to elevate the aggression. When things generally "cool & calm" it's alleged the birds are too. I've notice it a little when a local Cooper's hawk shows up in the yard. Not just hummers, but a variety of other birds are skittish, and a bit selfish over the feeder(s) for a time afterwards.

Out of hand feeding takes patience, and hungry birds. Never tried with hummers, but Ruby-throated have made contact when I rehung a feeder after cleaning/refilling. Once had a Red Bellied Woodpecker land on a suet cage, as I was hanging it up after reloading. Don't know which of us were most surprised.

got a question sometimes I am lazy and I don't refill the feeder for a few days, but they will come back when I refill them right? I want to attract more hummingbirds maybe I should keep a constant supply of nectar, or it's ok to stop for a few days in between?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back