• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great Tit (1 Viewer)

Great tits

Hi folks, Last year we had blue tits in our nest box. This year we have erected a nest box with a slightly larger diameter hole because we have seen an abundance of Great tits in the garden. Alas, although great tits have visited the nest box they don't seem to have taken up the opportunity to use it. They have however been taking some lambs wool for nesting material from a birdfeeder that we put up. My question is, do Great tits nest more than once a year, ie is there any chance that the Great tits will use the nest box this season?

Hi Treetop.

I've moved your post to the Nest Box forum, as that is a better place for your question. I believe that our tits only raise one brood, as they time the hatching for the emergence of caterpillars.

Now I'll wait for someone to tell us that they've seen more than one clutch successfully raised in a year!;) In other words... never say never LOL.

I've also subscribed you to this thread so you can keep track of it.

Hi Treetop.

I've moved your post to the Nest Box forum, as that is a better place for your question. I believe that our tits only raise one brood, as they time the hatching for the emergence of caterpillars.

Now I'll wait for someone to tell us that they've seen more than one clutch successfully raised in a year!;) In other words... never say never LOL.

Thanks Delia, I am old and senile and to too savvy on how to use this site.

Location/Time

Hi Treetop.

Hello. New to this so not sure if I'm doing it right?
I have bought a bird box and unsure where to put it. I only have small garden. Thinking back of the garage but wouldn't be able to see I it. Maybe up on side of house above the drive. People come and go but it would be quite generally and there are many trees close by where we have seen great tits. Also it's now ending April is it to late for great tits to occupy? Thank you.

Oops is this the way to post?

Hello. New to this so not sure if I'm doing it right?
I have bought a bird box and unsure where to put it. I only have small garden. Thinking back of the garage but wouldn't be able to see I it. Maybe up on side of house above the drive. People come and go but it would be quite generally and there are many trees close by where we have seen great tits. Also it's now ending April is it to late for great tits to occupy? Thank you.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back