• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

March 1, Cardinal Chronicles- Quicktime Video (1 Viewer)

alarson2

The Village Vidiot
It was cold and windy here today in South America. I watched the feeder from 5-7 and in that two hours saw quite a show. Mating season is kicking off for the cardinals. They are so busy chasing each other, they hardly have time to eat. So much activity. And there was another spring indicator at the feeder today- a red winged blackbird! sure sign that spring is coming. He was beautiful and I got him on tape. The mockingbirds and the brown thrasher were back for some more suet and the ruby crowned kinglet appeared for a few minutes-uh, seconds. The temp is supposed to go down to 25 (farenheit). I hope all my buddies make it. I wish I could have them come in for the night- just open the door and whistle and have them all pile in here. What a sight that would be; 15 cardinals, 200 doves, 8 bluejays, 12 white throats, etc. And what a mess to clean up tomorrow.

iMovie

I love those final shots of the cardinals.... beautiful! The female all fluffed up against the cold. Pretty!

I got a kick out of the difference between the thrasher eating and the mockingbird eating. The thrasher is so sloppy in comparison! The mocker nibbles, almost looks like it's chewing, keeps it beak so clean..... the thrasher is just a mess, gobbling everything in sight and wolfing it down. Funny!

Of course, the kinglet is just adorable with it's huge eyes. I cannot imagine 200 doves!

Keep up the good work, Alan.

Thank you miss Tammie. Yes you are right- the mockingbird seems elegant and refined and the thrasher is like a clutz. Often when he appears his bill is just covered with mud/dirt and he just bashes the heck out of the suet- he uses his bill like a pick hammer. They are so fascinating to watch and I love being so close to them. And of course with my recording them, I see what I see several times- so I can really kind of study them and learn a little about their behaviour- in an un-scientific way of course. At least I can watch them eat- I don't see them doing much else away from the feeder but I do have that.

Spring is almost here- I don't know about there, but here, it's coming.

Thank you for your comments and have a great day!!

Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back