• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

An interesting study on the Hummer's sweet tooth/tongue (1 Viewer)

That was interesting, I would hazard a guess that Orioles would have had their receptor modified also.

"Excellent Birds ..."

... Laurie Anderson and Peter Gabriel sang many years ago. They also excel in knowing what is good for them if they spit out artificial sweeteners. Humans are not so wise, it seems.
Though interesting, the article puzzled me because it seemed to suggest that other birds do not have a perception for sweet. That looks illogical considering the fact that unripe fruit etc would not yield nearly as much energy as ripe (sweet) fruit and also is more difficult to digest due to high amounts of acids etc. Color of the fruit alone would hardly give all the necessary information unless the birds are experts on botany too ... I would expect other studies to follow - investigating the sweet beak of other birds.

Ivan

Also, you would think Orioles would fit in here because of their love for nectar and grape jelly ;)

I don't think I've ever seen grape jelly in a shop where I live but if it helps to lure the Golden Orioles out of the foliage I know what my next cooking-experiment will be.

Ivan

Ivan, in the U.S. we frequently place sugar water (6:1 ratio), oranges and grape jelly out for the orioles. I get three types in my yard - Bullock, Scott's, and Hooded they all love the jelly.

Ivan, in the U.S. we frequently place sugar water (6:1 ratio), oranges and grape jelly out for the orioles. I get three types in my yard - Bullock, Scott's, and Hooded they all love the jelly.

Hello Lisa, I am absolutely surprised. This must mean that they are generally less timid than the Golden Orioles - the only ones I know from first-hand experience (sometimes you can stare into the tree tops for various hours, hearing their beautiful voices but never getting a glimpse of them). Unless you were living in the middle of some wonderful wilderness ...

Ivan

Ivan, yes. I think they are less timid. Skittish of people (of course) but they do come to feeders.

That was interesting, I would hazard a guess that Orioles would have had their receptor modified also.

That does not follow, imho.
Orioles eat fruit chunks, as do many other birds, so I don't see why they should ever have lost the sweetness sensor. It is just that hummers are such a miracle of evolution, they rediscovered a way to sense sugar after losing it.

That does not follow, imho.
Orioles eat fruit chunks, as do many other birds, so I don't see why they should ever have lost the sweetness sensor. It is just that hummers are such a miracle of evolution, they rediscovered a way to sense sugar after losing it.

I see your point. Didn't think of it in that way.

Not a compliment

Bear in mind Ivan. If they're hungry they'll find your feeder ;)

They are most welcome, all of them!

However, I fear that the Golden Oriole belongs to those birds that would rather opt for extinction than getting too close to humans. I don't want to think about what that says about the human race; but I'm sure it's hardly a compliment ...

Ivan

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back