• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding around Antalya, Southern Turkey 8-22 April 2012 (2 Viewers)

Graeme / Chris,

It really gives me pleasure to feel the reports help other birders. Thank you for your kind words.

Chris, it takes about an hour to get to Antalya from Side/Manavgat then its dual carriageway all the way, though through Antalya it inevitably gets a bit busy. Keep to the right or at least middle of the 3-lane dual carriageway as you go past the airport to your left. Several kms later as you feel you are getting to the heart of Antalya the dual carriageway splits once (from memory), you need to go right where it says Burdur (maybe also Ankara) and NOT "Merkesi Sehir" (city centre). Anyway once on that dual carriageway it takes some time heading out of Antalya's suburbs, its probably about 15-20kms until Korkutelli is signposted. Sat in the central reservation to turn left off the dual carriageway for Korkutelli is one of those moments you need to be very careful crossing the opposite lanes, irrespective of the traffic light colour check for potentially lethal oncoming traffic ignoring lights! Then the roads are fast and relatively free of traffic.

So it will be 3 hour journey - 45 mins to 1 hour to Antalya, 45 mins to 1 hour through Antalya, 30 mins to Korkutelli (with no stops), 45 mins to Elmali (with no stops), then the birding starts after Elmali. I would say it is worth it, but of course that is based on my one visit. The drive at Gogubeli pass is superb and easy for birding, making a crucial difference.

This is the problem, there surely is some good birding areas around Korkutelli but I imagine not close to a fast flowing dual carriageway. You need time to investigate. Gogubeli Pass and Seki (for the WT Robins) are in "my opinion" the best areas and easiest areas to bird, areas which instantly deliver. It would be a long day, but it was by far my most enjoyable one. Set off at 6am-7am, be there for 9-10am, you would have 5 hours birding before heading back. It took me 3-4 hours travelling the 15-20km between Elmali & Seki as you stop and start for roadside birds, barely leaving the car. I just slowly drove along, stopping several times to listen for song and check out the very best areas such as the steep ravines at the start & the plateau.

Follow signs for Alanya in Antalya to get back to Side.

Graceful Warblers are easier than I initially thought but must find suitable habitat. Listen for their 'tapping' call. The Dutch birder I spoke to had only managed to see them at Lara Beach, but he had not tried Titreyen Golu. The drainage ditches around Manavgat for this species were very hard to find though at stages they did run next to the busy dual carriageway, but I think the days when Gosney birded there 20 years ago traffic would have been relatively free on single roads.

The Dutch birder also said there were Krupers Nuthatch in the forest around Oymapinar which could save you going to Akseki, but where? They could be commonplace as far as I know. He also said Syrian Woodpeckers were the most common, but I have always struggled with woodpecker species.

Last edited:
Very interesting trip report, Nick, and I enjoy seeing pictures of locations and habitat in trip reports just as much as the birds. It's an area I was originally thinking of visiting this summer (but not now) with the family and thus with limited birding time so it will be very useful for future reference, particularly the info on the access, or lack of it, in the Korkuteli Hills area.

Very interesting trip report, Nick, and I enjoy seeing pictures of locations and habitat in trip reports just as much as the birds. It's an area I was originally thinking of visiting this summer (but not now) with the family and thus with limited birding time so it will be very useful for future reference, particularly the info on the access, or lack of it, in the Korkuteli Hills area.

Thanks very much Edward. The reason there are so many scenery photos is that I can't get near the actual birds often with my hand held 9 x zoom digital compact. By the time I get them compressed to load onto here, especially if on full zoom, they look terrible I know :)-

I could well be wrong about the Korkutelli Hills, the birds will probably still be around there........somewhere!

Here's a few more from my holiday that I feel caught the moment (albeit badly) & encapsulate Turkey.........the last lot I promise!

1) Boat cruise at Side
2) Woman trying to sell cow on dual carriageway
3) Mountain shot from Gogu Beli Pass
4) Eskihsar village high street (start of Gogu Beli Pass) - woman chopping wood by roadside.
5) Relaxing / fishing by the river at Lara Beach close to hotels (not me I hasten to add).

Attachments

• SAM_4963.JPG
    SAM_4963.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 160
  • SAM_5025.JPG
    SAM_5025.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 191
  • SAM_5188.JPG
    SAM_5188.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 161
  • SAM_5267.JPG
    SAM_5267.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 141
  • SAM_5460.JPG
    SAM_5460.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Thanks for your reply Nick - all invaluable and, importantly, up to date- theres a few new birds for me in Turkey but as its a family holiday I am trying to brainwash myself into being fairly relaxed ( lets see how long that lasts?!) and intend to mainly just bird Side area and see what passes through. However, Mountains and Akseki have got to be on the agenda. Will post on my return, but cant promise will be as prompt (or comprehensive) as your report!

Thanks for your reply Nick - all invaluable and, importantly, up to date- theres a few new birds for me in Turkey but as its a family holiday I am trying to brainwash myself into being fairly relaxed ( lets see how long that lasts?!) and intend to mainly just bird Side area and see what passes through. However, Mountains and Akseki have got to be on the agenda. Will post on my return, but cant promise will be as prompt (or comprehensive) as your report!

Look forward to reading what you see Chris, however much that may be. Enjoy it mate!

Great report, Nick. It's always nice when someone shares the details of the local experience as well as a list of what was seen.Shall make use of it when we do our Turkey trip. Thanks for taking the time to post. Elaine

Great report, Nick. It's always nice when someone shares the details of the local experience as well as a list of what was seen.Shall make use of it when we do our Turkey trip. Thanks for taking the time to post. Elaine

Do I know you Elaine? :eek!: Great to see you on here!

You think this is long, you wanna read a trip report I did for Ontario a few years back, in this sub section!

Welcome to Birdforum my dear friend B :)

There is a seperate thread under "Rare Bird Information" sub-section regards the Brown Fish Owl which highlights the issues with seeing them, but also do check out a new article about them at www.birdguides.com

Click on "Articles" (you have to sign in) which is an option in small getting towards the top right of the home page, this article explains that the owls may be easier when young have hatched such as July and August, but at the end it also gives a good site nearby for Kruper's Nuthatch, which may remove the need to take a day out at Akseki. Your choice!

PLEASE NOTE this article suggests Erdals boats depart about 1 mile further along the coast line than I caught my boat. That would be by the restaurant. I had not realised that boats departed from two sites. It would be easy to go ALL that way to see the owls and then go to the wrong departure point. Make sure you get this clarified!

The Dutch birder Rienk Geene 'Ecoloog who I bumped into will be offering trips to see the owls through his company "Habitat-Advies" contact [email protected]. Trips will run from Amsterdam and include flights, 2 nights accommodation at a nice hotel and boat trip, all for 500 euros, if anyone is interested. He is in the early stages of arranging this, but seemed very professional and is currently finalising arrangements with boat owners there. No harm in emailing him, I am sure he could factor in flights from other european countries.

Last edited:
Hi Nick - quick question re the Owls...Did you ask whether any tourist boats were going to the 'Little Canyon' as well ( and did you meet Erdal?) - from what I read on birdguides water levels too low so none currently are?? Im torn what to do here ; Id really love to give these a go but with so few days a cruise around big canyon only on a tourist boat seems a fairly long shot and E500 is a bit steep to say the least!! Cheers

Chris

Hi Nick - quick question re the Owls...Did you ask whether any tourist boats were going to the 'Little Canyon' as well ( and did you meet Erdal?) - from what I read on birdguides water levels too low so none currently are?? Im torn what to do here ; Id really love to give these a go but with so few days a cruise around big canyon only on a tourist boat seems a fairly long shot and E500 is a bit steep to say the least!! Cheers

Chris

Its a real dilemma, considering going back over as someone has hired a boat 21st May. But if cant access it what's the point me flying over?

No sign in Big Canyon recently apparently, certainly not when I was there. I was under the impression boats were going to Little Canyon until I read the Birdguides article. All very confusing. Water Levels will certainly lower if anything, as summer progresses.

Yes I think I'll just have see how the land lies when Im out there - potentially frustrating though! If not think I might be going back...

BY the way, looking at your 'sign off' target birds, I was in Morocco in mid March and despite looking in lots of known sites, no sign of Blue Cheeked Bee Eater ....probably bit early?. I was pretty disappointed but then not far into journey back to Marrakesh happened across a migrating flock of almost 40 and eventually had great views - well worth the wait I can tell you!!!

Yes I think I'll just have see how the land lies when Im out there - potentially frustrating though! If not think I might be going back...

BY the way, looking at your 'sign off' target birds, I was in Morocco in mid March and despite looking in lots of known sites, no sign of Blue Cheeked Bee Eater ....probably bit early?. I was pretty disappointed but then not far into journey back to Marrakesh happened across a migrating flock of almost 40 and eventually had great views - well worth the wait I can tell you!!!

Chris

I think Blue-Cheeked Bee-eater is just one of those birds I can "hope" to stumble into one day. They can be found in eastern Turkey but I am a bit wary of travelling there as a solo traveller. Western Turkey was an experience for me, compared to driving around Mallorca and Rhodes! I would hate to break down or get stuck in some of the remote places us birders get to.

Good luck on the owl, maybe Erdal will feed back to the group of lads who have booked the 21st May boat. As others have done, check this and the Rare Birds Brown Fish Owl thread for updates. The 4am departure by the company Tor has linked to via Vigotours certainly confirms my suggestion that they are far easier early morning, but 4am departure!!! Hard core birding!:eek!:

Turkey update

Thought Id post something up quickly upon return. Will produce full trip report in due course; if anyone interested let me know.

As per recent postings, some months ago I booked a family holiday to Side in Southern Turkey, with the hope of my usual compromise of a few days quality birding around family stuff.

I was obvioiulsy keen on trying to see Fish Owls but recent reports on bird forum suggested that the birds were difficult on the ‘Tourist boat trips’ and to give up one of my precious birding days on a tourist party boat listening to disco and maybe not seeing the birds sounded pretty unpleasant. The costs of individual charter were prohibitive so had reluctantly pretty much discounted going for the owls to concentrate on migrating birds ( with view to possibly returning as part of birding crew in not too distant?).

The general birding was really good – especially migration on the coast – one sunny morning spent a memorable couple of hours around Side Roman ruins (a tourist trap a bit later in the day) that rival any of my experiences in Morocco, Israel, Spain etc; Olivaceous were everywhere, Red Backed Shrikes, 3 Barred warblers, Masked Shrikes, loads of Turtle Doves overhead, a River Warbler singing, a glorious Roller flew in and 8 adult Rose Coloured Starlings were a bit unexpected. Finally tracked down two Olive Tree Warblers from song (a bird I’d had no luck with at two ‘traditional’ Gosney sites so very pleasing).This for me is what birding should be about and very enjoyable.

I was saying as much to the only other birder I ran into all week, a Swedish guy, when he mentioned that he had been to see the Fish Owls two days before on a trip where the company ( Vigo Tours) charged 200 Euros for individual charter. Now I was getting seriously interested! …..this, whilst not cheap, seemed closer to my idea of ‘realistic’ so that evening I called the guy – Ozcan) and it eventually turned out 3 Belgian birders were also going out so we could split costs. To cut a long story short next morning at 4’am my 8 year old daughter and I headed out, quite excited! We were also unexpectedly joined by Arnoud van den Berg aiming to record the birds (a charming guy who lent my daughter his binoculars!) and over next two hours as it got light had good views of a great bird (well 2 adults and a chick) that I never realistically thought about seeing in the Western Palearctic ; a memorable day!

Also connected with other targets inc Krupers and Rock Nuthatches in Akseki area but as I say will post full details at later date!

Thanks to others, particularly Nick, for their posts that were invaluable!

Chris

Thought Id post something up quickly upon return. Will produce full trip report in due course; if anyone interested let me know.

As per recent postings, some months ago I booked a family holiday to Side in Southern Turkey, with the hope of my usual compromise of a few days quality birding around family stuff.

I was obvioiulsy keen on trying to see Fish Owls but recent reports on bird forum suggested that the birds were difficult on the ‘Tourist boat trips’ and to give up one of my precious birding days on a tourist party boat listening to disco and maybe not seeing the birds sounded pretty unpleasant. The costs of individual charter were prohibitive so had reluctantly pretty much discounted going for the owls to concentrate on migrating birds ( with view to possibly returning as part of birding crew in not too distant?).

The general birding was really good – especially migration on the coast – one sunny morning spent a memorable couple of hours around Side Roman ruins (a tourist trap a bit later in the day) that rival any of my experiences in Morocco, Israel, Spain etc; Olivaceous were everywhere, Red Backed Shrikes, 3 Barred warblers, Masked Shrikes, loads of Turtle Doves overhead, a River Warbler singing, a glorious Roller flew in and 8 adult Rose Coloured Starlings were a bit unexpected. Finally tracked down two Olive Tree Warblers from song (a bird I’d had no luck with at two ‘traditional’ Gosney sites so very pleasing).This for me is what birding should be about and very enjoyable.

I was saying as much to the only other birder I ran into all week, a Swedish guy, when he mentioned that he had been to see the Fish Owls two days before on a trip where the company ( Vigo Tours) charged 200 Euros for individual charter. Now I was getting seriously interested! …..this, whilst not cheap, seemed closer to my idea of ‘realistic’ so that evening I called the guy – Ozcan) and it eventually turned out 3 Belgian birders were also going out so we could split costs. To cut a long story short next morning at 4’am my 8 year old daughter and I headed out, quite excited! We were also unexpectedly joined by Arnoud van den Berg aiming to record the birds (a charming guy who lent my daughter his binoculars!) and over next two hours as it got light had good views of a great bird (well 2 adults and a chick) that I never realistically thought about seeing in the Western Palearctic ; a memorable day!

Also connected with other targets inc Krupers and Rock Nuthatches in Akseki area but as I say will post full details at later date!

Thanks to others, particularly Nick, for their posts that were invaluable!

Chris

Nice one Chris :t:

I would love to see a more detailed report if you can.

I am heading back today, just for two days, and am booked on Vigo Tours on 4am trip on Monday 21st. So will feedback too.

If you read this before I depart at 11am today (unlikely I know) how did you find Akseki? Was it worth going back except for Nuthatches?

After the owl cruise I am unsure whether to go back to Akseki or try Side again. Would love to see Olive Tree Warbler but I think Akseki cemetary and perhaps other traditional site near Taragasol ?(or something like that) have not produced results recently? I will try to check this site again tomorrow night if I have time.

Glad you found Side so productive. With luck it can be fantastic.

Thanks again Chris.

Nice one Chris :t:

I would love to see a more detailed report if you can.

I am heading back today, just for two days, and am booked on Vigo Tours on 4am trip on Monday 21st. So will feedback too.

If you read this before I depart at 11am today (unlikely I know) how did you find Akseki? Was it worth going back except for Nuthatches?

After the owl cruise I am unsure whether to go back to Akseki or try Side again. Would love to see Olive Tree Warbler but I think Akseki cemetary and perhaps other traditional site near Taragasol ?(or something like that) have not produced results recently? I will try to check this site again tomorrow night if I have time.

Glad you found Side so productive. With luck it can be fantastic.

Thanks again Chris.

Hi Nick

so sorry - only just saw this as been manic since back with a family event. Im not sure the Olive Trees are still at Akseki Cemetery or the Tasagil Gosney site ( well based on my experience and recent efforts of others) - tried both to no avail but then as I say got lucky at Side, but presumably these were on passage but not sure how long they may stick.

Akseki hard work at times but the Gosney WB Woodie site on road 16 k N of Akseki was enjoyable at least in in terms of 2-3 Krupers, Middle Spotted Wood, Masked Shrikes. Sombre Tit etc, and at various stops on road back had lots of Ruppells Warblers and 2 Rock Nuthatch as well as several B E Wheatear and ST eagle - thats about it!!

Of course may well be that by time you read this you are back, in which case 'doh!' and apologies

Chris

Hi Nick

so sorry - only just saw this as been manic since back with a family event. Im not sure the Olive Trees are still at Akseki Cemetery or the Tasagil Gosney site ( well based on my experience and recent efforts of others) - tried both to no avail but then as I say got lucky at Side, but presumably these were on passage but not sure how long they may stick.

Akseki hard work at times but the Gosney WB Woodie site on road 16 k N of Akseki was enjoyable at least in in terms of 2-3 Krupers, Middle Spotted Wood, Masked Shrikes. Sombre Tit etc, and at various stops on road back had lots of Ruppells Warblers and 2 Rock Nuthatch as well as several B E Wheatear and ST eagle - thats about it!!

Of course may well be that by time you read this you are back, in which case 'doh!' and apologies

Chris

Hi Chris

No worries I know how you feel having arrived at 4am back home this morning.

The Brown Fish Owl boat trip at 4am with Vigo Tours went very well, seeing both adults and a nearly fully fledged juv at the cave entrance that acts as a nest. Superb :t:.

Just for info to all, if you go on one of Erdals 10am trips you may get lucky and see an adult asleep in the roost tree, but I expect that would be it at best. Erdall does not want to go earlier than 10am and his boats for private hire cost 500 euros.

Will write an update on this thread at the weekend.

As mentioned in Wolfbirders excellent report, the ancient ruins at Side are definitely worth the effort if you have time to spare.

Not only are they culturally interesting but in a leisurely 2-3 hours that we spent on our last day, having had crippling views of 2 Brown Fish Owls earlier, we watched Eastern Olivaceous Warbler, Olive Tree Warbler, Rufous Bush Chat, Red throated pipit, Levants Sparrowhawk, Melodious Warbler, many Masked Shrikes, Yellow vented Bulbul and Barred Warbler at the ruins. And the tourists tend to mostly stick to the main areas near the road so you have it to yourself.

Last edited:
As mentioned in Wolfbirders excellent report, the ancient ruins at Side are definitely worth the effort if you have time to spare.

Not are they culturally interesting but in a leisurely 2-3 hours that we spent on our last day, having had crippling views of 2 Brown Fish Owls earlier, we watched Eastern Olivaceous Warbler, Olive Tree Warbler, Rufous Bush Chat, Red throated pipit, Levants Sparrowhawk, Melodious Warbler, many Masked Shrikes, Yellow vented Bulbul and Barred Warbler at the ruins. And the tourists tend to mostly stick to the main areas near the road so you have it to yourself.

Wow thats quite a haul from Side ruins :eek!:. Wish I had returned on my last day (but more of that later!). When were you there?

Nick

Our final day was 11th May - after an early rise for the excellent and throughly recommended Vigo Tours BFO trip, we spent the afternoon at Side ruins, for once enjoying leisurely birding as we were not flying back til that evening.
Definitely a site worth exploring for anyone in the area and with time, and very useful for any birders on a family holiday in Side for an early morning jaunt.

Nick

Our final day was 11th May - after an early rise for the excellent and throughly recommended Vigo Tours BFO trip, we spent the afternoon at Side ruins, for once enjoying leisurely birding as we were not flying back til that evening.
Definitely a site worth exploring for anyone in the area and with time, and very useful for any birders on a family holiday in Side for an early morning jaunt.

Lucky you and well done! A great haul that is indeed! :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back