• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

cave spider Minsmere (1 Viewer)

Meta menardi or M. bourneti I believe are the only true cave spiders in britain, I don't think you can tell them apart without close inspection. There is definitely something about them... the giant egg sacs hanging in the cracks of cave walls are quite a sight. The big stripey legged spiders hanging beside them are also very cool!

Although there is an air of mystery about them, round here I've found them in a few locations. Only last week I had a look in a small dark tunnel and there they were. Also under overhanging large rocks and in the hollow stump of an old ash tree which was blown down. My local tiny 'cave' is currently crawling with spiderlings and 3 egg sacs yet to hatch. It's worth shining a light round any dark, suspect looking space, just incase - always check the cracks...

Attachments

• cave spider 1 bf.jpg
    cave spider 1 bf.jpg
    348.9 KB · Views: 105
  • cave spider bf.jpg
    cave spider bf.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 351
Laura thanks for your reply. I've now been told it's been identified as Meta bourneti; I'm still keen to know if anyone can confirm this.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back