• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How is your 2011 List Going? (1 Viewer)

This evening I walk down to the end of our block where there is a church with a large parking lot when I noticed two birds flying overhead.

209. Common Nighthawk

Some good, hard-to-find birds today, so my Year List is now up to 483.

481. Yellow-billed Cuckoo
482. Canada Warbler
483. Gray-cheeked Thrush

In addition to the birds listed above, I added Broad-winged Hawk to my ABA Area and Indiana year lists, which are at 224 and 214, respectively.

Dave

I will be doing a count for the North American Migration Count (NAMC) tomorrow. I am the compiler for Buchanan County. I have eight other birders doing various areas of the county. I will be counting around the oxbow lakes south of Saint Joseph.

This morning I did a little "pre-run" and was able to add six (6) new 2011 Missouri List birds.

210. Least Bittern
211. Common Moorhen
212. Black Tern
213. Western Sandpiper
214. Caspian Tern
215. Grasshopper Sparrow

Thought I had Yellow-billed Cuckoo yesterday but it turned out to be just a Loggerhead Shrike.

Jeff

Last edited:
105 Blackcap
106 Whinchat
107 Red-backed Shrike
108 Common Shelduck
109 Ruddy Turnstone
110 Gull-billed Tern
111 Bar-tailed Godwit
112 Lesser Gray Shrike
113 Common Whitethroat
114 Tree Pipit
115 Barred Warbler
116 Eurasian Golden Oriole

Seen around the oxbow lakes area south of Saint Joseph, Missouri, while I was birding my area for the North American Migration Count (NAMC).

216. Philadelphia Vireo
217. Olive-sided Flycatcher

Found today in the park system in northern Saint Joseph, Missouri.

218. Acadian Flycatcher
219. Veery
220. Wilson's Warbler
221. Yellow-bellied Flycatcher
222. Gray-cheeked Thrush

Just when we all thought that songbird migration was virtually over, north winds have pushed migrants down all over our area. At the college where I work, the 3-4 acre nature area was inundated with warblers, vireos and E Wood Pewees.

So I added:
251. Bay-breasted Warbler
252. Chestnut-sided Warbler
253. Mourning Warbler (lifer)

I'm still missing a lot of warblers, though, including Ovenbird and Canada.

Jeff

170 for my county yearlist. Not bad but must try harder.
CB

That's pretty impressive for a 5-month county list, CB. As I remember it, Cheshire is a bit smaller than Texas!

I think my list is going to stall for a while, because I have a lot of extra work commitments over the next 3 weeks. However, in early June I'm spending a few days in Phoenix, Arizona. Not the best time for my first trip of the year outside Texas but I should pick up at least a handful of desert species.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

A family visit to southern US in early May (http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=200646) pushed the list up a bit:

114. Chimney Swift
115. Blue Jay
116. Laughing Gull
117. Common Grackle
118. White Ibis
119. Black-crowned Night Heron
120. Red-winged Blackbird
121. Least Tern
122. Mississippi Kite
123. American Kestrel
124. Northern Mockingbird
125. Mourning Dove
126. American Crow
127. Green Heron
128. Northern Cardinal
129. Carolina Wren
130. Black Skimmer
131. Great Blue Heron
132. Osprey
133. Snowy Egret
134. Swallow-tailed Kite
135. Sanderling
136. Ruddy Turnstone
137. Black Vulture
138. Red-tailed Hawk
139. Northern Bobwhite
140. American Robin
141. Eastern Bluebird
142. Ruby-throated Hummingbird
143. Red-bellied Woodpecker
144. Downy Woodpecker
145. Cooper's Hawk
146. Brown Thrasher
147. House Finch
148. Turkey Vulture
149. Bald Eagle
150. Carolina Chickadee
151. White-eyed Vireo
152. Eastern Wood Pewee
153. Scissor-tailed Flycatcher
154. Red-shouldered Hawk
155. Tree Swallow
156. Common Nighthawk

David

On May 17th I added one more bird while birding Horseshoe Lake (one of our oxbow lakes).
223. Bell's Vireo

While birding in the rain at the oxbow lakes south of Saint Joseph, Missouri, I located one new year bird for my 2011 State List.

224. American Golden Plover, one alternately plumaged bird!

Drove to southern Indiana this morning to the only known breeding site for Mississippi Kite in the state. I found my target, plus another bird on the way, so my Year List is up to 487.

486. Loggerhead Shrike
487. Mississippi Kite

Dave

Spring migration seems to have ended and birds are becoming harder to find. Today I only added Black-bellied Plover to my ABA Area and Indiana year lists, which are at 229 and 219, respectively.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back