• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

warbler list (1 Viewer)

dennis

Have binoculars. Will travel.
I'm list crazy, so this shouldn't come as a surprise.....

I keep a yearly warbler list. My goal is to see at least 20 species per year. Since I live in eastern Pennsylvania(USA), I am directly in the migratory flyway of about 30 species of New World warblers. So far my best effort was 1994 when I saw 28 species. Below is that year's list.

Yellow-rumped Warbler
Yellow W.
Blue-winged W.
Black and White W.
Common Yellowthroat
Northern Waterthrush
Northern Parula
American Redstart
Black-throated Blue W.
Ovenbird
Blackburian W.
Chestnut-sided W.
Worm-eating W.
Magnolia W.
Black-throated Green W.
Canada W.
Wilson's W.
Prairie W.
Mourning W.
Louisiana Waterthrush
Kentucky W.
Hooded W.
Cerulean W.
Nashville W.
Brewster's W.( ok, I cheated.. this is really a hybrid of Blue-wing/Golden-wing)
Yellow-breasted Chat
Orange-crowned W.
Palm W.

They should start arriving here in April. Usually Pine and Palm start the parade. Blackpoll Warblers usually signal the end of the stream. The year I referenced above, I dipped on both Pine and Blackpoll.

dennis

I don't think I've hit 28 for my entire list -- I'll have to go back and count up again.

And I know I didn't see a single Common Yellowthroat in 2002, darn it! Heard them plenty of times, but just never spotted one. And I do love them so -- the little masked things that they are. Just lovely!

Since I have hop-scotched back and forth across the country, I have had some luck with Warblers. My list, including states:
Prothonotary Warbler-----Tennessee
Blue-winged Warbler------Tennessee
Orange-crowned Warbler-----New Mexico
Nashville Warbler-----Minnesota
Northern Parula-----Florida
Chestnut-sided Warbler-----Maine
Magnolia Warbler-----Maine
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)-----Florida
Yellow-rumped Warbler (audubon's)-----California, Oregon,
Colorado
Black-and-white Warbler-----Oklahoma
Black-throated-Gray Warbler-----California
Prairie Warbler-----Georgia
Pine Warbler-----Florida
Palm Warbler----Tennessee, Florida
Yellow Warbler-----Missouri, North Dakota, Washington
Kentucky Warbler-----Florida
Hooded Warbler-----Florida
Swainson's Warbler-----Florida
Common Yellowthroat----North Dakota, Georgia
Yellow-breasted Chat-----California, Georgia, Florida

Two weeks holiday in Texas April 1996
Blue-winged Warbler - Tennessee Warbler - Orange-crowned Warbler - Northern Parula* - Yellow Warbler - Chestnut-sided Warbler* - Blackburnian Warbler - Yellow-rumped Warbler*- Cerulean Warbler - Black-throated Blue Warbler - Black-throated Green Warbler - Golden-cheeked Warbler - Yellow-throated Warbler - Magnolia Warbler - Blackpoll Warbler*- Bay-breasted Warbler - Pine Warbler - Prothonotary Warbler - Swainson's Warbler - Worm-earing Warbler - Black-and White Warbler* - Ovenbird - Northern Waterthrush*- Louisiana Waterthrush -
Mourning Warbler - Common Yellowthroat * - Yellow-breasted Chat - Kentucky Warbler - Hooded Warbler - Wilson's Warbler -
Canada Warbler - American Redstart
32 - not bad eh?

* birds on my British list

Good job Darrell!

You certainly were there at exactly the right time for warblers.

For the record, the other New World Warblers on my lifelist:
(all were seen in Pennsylvania unless indicated)

Golden-winged W.
Tennessee W.
Tropical Parula (Ecuador)
Cape May W.
Black-throated Gray W.
Towsend's W.
Yellow-throated W.
Grace's W. (Utah)
Pine W.
Bay-breasted W.
Blackpoll W.
Prothonotary W.
Swainson's W.
Bahama Yellowthroat (Bahamas)
Olive-crowned W. (Ecuador)
Slate-throated Redstart (Ecuador)
Spectacled Redstart (Ecuador)
Choco Warbler (Ecuador)
Black-crested W. (Ecuador)
Russet-crowned W. (Ecuador)
Three-striped W. (Ecuador)
Buff-rumped W. (Ecuador)
Bananaquit (Bahamas)

This totals up to 50 New World Warblers and 1 hybrid, of which 38 were seen in Pennsylvania. Listing is a sickness!

dennis

Wow Dennis, that's some list, yours too Darrell and the others. Having never visited the States and Canada (not yet anyway) my Warbler list is hardly very impressive, Yellow-rumped Warbler in Iceland in 1999.

However, I have seen 14 Old World Warblers in Iceland (all vagrants) and one or two others elsewhere in Europe. Don't you just love those warblers??

Edward

In May 1987 I visited Point Pelee for 10 days and saw 34 different species of Warblers + 1 in Michigan on the same trip.
The following year I had five new ones in Texas in 2 weeks.
After that I went to California and Arizona and had another ten. plus just one new one in Florida. So you could say that in visiting for a period of 10 weeks I have seen 50 different warblers.

I can only lay claim to one and that is Garden Warbler, who visit my garden every year. I know it's summer when he is around. And I only ever see one.

I guess a win the "least number of warblers award" lol

Vicky@glos

I am under the impression that Old World Warblers and New World Warblers are in a different family. Could anyone explain this for me?

I manage Blackpoll (2) and common Yellow throat in th UK, nevr been to the states :eek:( 31 old world warblers though :eek:) (33 if you include the crests)

Pleasesleep, they are totally different birds, new world warblers are brighter more colourful and closer related to buntings than our warblers, even though they have a small pointed bill like ours.

Hope that helps a bit

Pleasesleep,

We are indeed fortunate. The New World Warblers are about 1000 times easier to identify the the Old World species.

Those European birders get a tip-of-the-hat from me. I think I'd go bonkers sorting them out.

dennis

You say that dennis but the drab females/winter male new world warblers can be equally as triky as some of the Old world species (although not blyths reed)

Hi.

2002 was an excellent Warbler year for me. In south-central Wisconsin, I had 32 species (counting the Chat).

Yellow Warbler
Magnolia Warbler
Black-throated Blue Warbler
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Cape May Warbler
Blackburnian Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Cerulean Warbler
Palm Warbler
Pine Warbler
Black-throated Green Warbler
Bay-breasted Warbler
Blackpoll Warbler
Yellow-throated Warbler
Black-and-white Warbler
Prothonotary Warbler
American Redstart
Blue-winged Warbler
Golden-winged Warbler
Tennessee Warbler
Nashville Warbler
Orange Crowned Warbler
Northern Parula
Overnbird
Louisiana Waterthrush
Northern Waterthrush
Kentucky Warbler
Mourning Warbler
Wilson's Warbler
Canada Warbler
Common Yellowthroat
Yellow-breasted Chat

Come visit us during mid-May for incredible sightings!

http://www.mailbag.com/users/maverick/avian.html

Mike McDowell
Middleton, WI - US

How about misses. I'm still in search of Swainson's, my only commonly nesting species I've missed in several states in the southern U.S. When living in So. Ohio I had 28 species in one day. In Colorado, were're luck if we get 12 species in one day and 5 of those would be rare.

I live in Warbler Central during spring and fall migrations, the Upper Texas Coast. We get just about everything here, with the exception of the extreme western and Mexican warblers (Grace's, Virginia's, Lucy's, Hermit, Red-faced, Olive, Colima, etc.).

However, Texas as a whole has just about all of the warblers on its list (minus Kirtland's and perhaps one or two others). It's a good place to be, and I can pretty much count on 30 species at the very least during each spring. Two I'm missing along the coast are Black-throated Blue and Cape May. There always seem to be some birds that defy your efforts to see them.

Steve in Houston

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back