• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma 500mm f/4.5 filters (1 Viewer)

rrdjserv

Rick Cox
Jan. 16, 2009

I just received my lens today and have a question. The instructions say to keep a filter in. I really don't want to use the polariser for birds because of possible light loss, so I have the clear filter in. But I am concerned that sooner or later, dust or moisture will get into the lens. If this happens will I have to send it back to Sigma for cleaning or is this something I could clean?

Any info will be appreciated. --Rick

I have both Sigma 300.f2.8 and 500 f4.5 I have had them since the end of 2004. They have each been subjected to the elements and each filtre has been cleaned once and I don't think they even needed cleaning, IQ had not been affected.

I've had mine for a year now (and it was secondhand) and I haven't had a problem. Occasionally I've had some condensation on the filter when returning from a cold day out, but it always clears.

I would say you should always keep a filter in there otherwise you have a bllody big hole where anything can get in - i wouldn't fancy trying to get some bird cronk out of there if some got in!

slight off topic, are the filters a standard screw fitting? I don't have a filter for my lens which I bought used and would like one and a polariser for those summer wader shots.....

Some filters screw onto the front of the lens. Mine has a filter holder toward the rear of the lens. The filter screws into the holder.

It takes a 46mm filter. It does not mention the threads.

According to the instructions: "Please check the filter dimensions before you purchase extra filters. Some of the 46mm filters have a very thick ring and impede the filter holder from being inserted into the filter slot on the lens assembly. The thickness of the ring over its screw must be less than or equal to 5mm. This lens assembly accepts only Sigma Polarizing (PL) filters. The polarizing filters of other brands may not be adaptable to your assembly"

Hope this helps.

You can use an ordinary filter as long as it isn't too deep, but the polarising filter is non-standard. Most polarisers are constructed so that the glass can be rotated when thay are mounted on the front of the lens, but the Sigma polariser isn't made like this. It is just like an ordinary filter - the filter holder itself rotates inside the lens barrel.

thanks so a pro range filter with a thin body should be okay

just found a distinct lack of choice at 46mm, any one know if a definate fit?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back