• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zen ED2 8x43 vs Hawke ED 8x43? (1 Viewer)

matt green

Norfolkman gone walkabout
Just wondring if these two are even stevens as regards to image, handling and build etc?

Not currently considering the Zen as the Hawke is so much more easier to purchase and service (if needed!!) in the UK

Just curious!

Matt

I took my zen ed2 out for some early birding this morning. The view is just stunning. I have not tried the Hawkes, but I suppose they are not as good as the ed2, considering the reviews.

I took my zen ed2 out for some early birding this morning. The view is just stunning. I have not tried the Hawkes, but I suppose they are not as good as the ed2, considering the reviews.

Kristoffer - Like you, I have not tried the Hawkes, but every time I have used my zen ed2s for birding recently (as a change of pace from optical qualitative analysis) I, too, am stunned by the images. We are well into our annual migration in South Texas and the Zens have been a source of pleasure and amazement. I might even have found a cure for my lifelong LeicaLust affliction.

If this is the case these Zen's must be truly something special because IMO the Hawke's are better than any of the alpha's I've viewed (and that's a lot).

I have no words for my Zen-Ray ED2 8x43.
I just couldnt find the right words to make a clear review.
One word would be: perfect.
Nothing more!

The main optical difference between the Hawke Frontier ED 8x43s and the Zen ED 8x43s was that I noticed slightly more field curvature in the image of the Hawke's. This may or may not be directly related to the small "circle of light" that I noticed around the edge of the fieldstop. From reports that followed with more recent versions of the Hawkes it seems that they addressed these two issues and now the Hawke Frontier EDs are at the same level as the original Zen EDs.

As was mentioned above though the Zens now utilize dielectric coatings on the roof prisms instead of the silver coatings that the original Zen EDs, Frontier EDs and Promaster EDs utilize. This increases brightness and contrast just slightly. The new Zen ED2s also have a slightly faster focus ratio.

I am splitting hairs here though...keep that in mind. All of them offer superb optical performance. In my opinion the only "Alpha" I have compared them to that actually bettered them was the Zeiss FLs. That is my personal opinion only.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back