• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Using a Nikon EDG with Gitzo 3540LS (1 Viewer)

ericbowles

I have just ordered a Nikon EDG 20-60x85 Fieldscope and the Nikon EDG FSA L-2 DSLR attachment. I intend to use this kit stand alone and with a Nikon D7000 (and a D300), but had a question about support.

I am using a Gitzo 3540LS tripod with a Really Right Stuff BH40 ballhead. I am planning to use the tripod and ballhead with the Fieldscope but wanted to be sure it was enough support. I think it will be fine as it works with similar weight lenses. I am also planning on buying a generic Arca Swiss plate from RRS to attach to the foot of the Fieldscope for a quick release.

Any thoughts on this setup and how it will work? Does the Fieldscope require a 3/8" or 1/4" mounting screw? Any issues with mounting the plate?

You want to use a video or gimbal head when using a fieldscope for digiscoping. ANY ballhead will be nothing but headaches and trouble and the WRONG tool. The only suitable videohead for that EDG beast is the Manfrotto 503 w/long plate. A gimbal like the Jobu Design BWG-LW2/HD2 or similar 6kg+ payload class would be an even better choice. The key to your success is to achieve PERFECT balance so you can have smooth/nimble motion panning horizontally andy vertically without execessive use of drag.

Last edited:
I have just ordered a Nikon EDG 20-60x85 Fieldscope and the Nikon EDG FSA L-2 DSLR attachment. I intend to use this kit stand alone and with a Nikon D7000 (and a D300), but had a question about support.

I am using a Gitzo 3540LS tripod with a Really Right Stuff BH40 ballhead. I am planning to use the tripod and ballhead with the Fieldscope but wanted to be sure it was enough support. I think it will be fine as it works with similar weight lenses. I am also planning on buying a generic Arca Swiss plate from RRS to attach to the foot of the Fieldscope for a quick release.

Any thoughts on this setup and how it will work? Does the Fieldscope require a 3/8" or 1/4" mounting screw? Any issues with mounting the plate?

I use the 3 section version of your tripod (3530LS) for a 1D4 and 600 F4 IS so I don't think your spotting scope will worry it at all. The tripod is overkill for your requirements yet it is still a nice light setup - so go with it! Too much tripod is FAR better than the alternative!
I agree with RJM you need a fluid (or similar) head for scope. I use the Manfrotto 701 HDV and find it great for my 77 mm Kowa, your scope will be a bit heavier, so I (like RJM) would suggest you have a look at the Manfrotto 501 as well - a friend of mine uses his 501 with a 500mm F4 IS with success. I tried my scope on my gimbal head (Wimberley 2) and whilst it was OK I think the scope was a bit too light for the head to work properly IMO.
Note Manfrotto use their own plates, which are pretty good, and 3rd party ones are also good but cheaper.

Thanks RJM and John

I'll have to take a look at a video head. I'm inclined to use the Wimberley Sidekick with a top end ballhead as it balances and pans perfectly on something like the weight of the EDG 85. I'm also going to take a look at a new quick release from Really Right Stuff that provides a video lever. It would be easy to change in the field.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/Product...q=&desc=B2-LR-VC:-80mm-Video-LR-clamp-&key=it

I'm planning to do some serious testing at the end of the month and will report back.

Last edited:
You understand that the rig you are proposing will be quite heavy and cumbersome to lug around in practical use? Really expensive too given that a primary reason for digiscoping, especially with focal length limitations of a dslr, is the method is generally cheaper than a comparable supertele lens.

Frankly, I think if you are a Nikon shooter you should look to ebay for an old 500 f4/P lens and the matching 2x TC. You will have a lighter rig, matrix metering, and MUCH better resolution all for less than half the price of the EDG kit.

Last edited:
Thanks RJM

I'm probably in an atypical situation. I have all the camera gear needed as well as all Nikon teleconverters - 1.4, 1.7 and 2.0.

The scope is specifically for birding, with the option of using a camera if I see something interesting. It's also for my wife so weight is relevant. The scope is much lighter than my 200-400 or 600 f/4 lenses, and provides more reach than a comparable 300 f/4 with a teleconverter.

If I'm going specifically for photos, I'll be in a blind or employing similar patience with the big lens and teleconverters.

I'm planning to try out the scope for a serious week of birding and photography later this month. It should give me an idea of what the gear will really do and whether a light tele like a Tamron 200-500 is similar or different.

The method you propose does not lend itself to convienent/simple on-the-fly switching between visual/photographic use. Unless dead or asleep, the bird will be long gone before you can complete the changeover and rebalance the rig.

If you want share the scope visually and photographically, I suggest "traditional" digiscoping with a high quality compact and swing-out adapter.

Last edited:
Yes - and you are right. I may end up at that point. The Nikon V1 seems to have merit in such a role.

I appreciate your thoughts on this. I'm very familiar with long lenses and DSLR's. My advice would probably be similar - you need to understand the limits of your gear options.

On the other hand, there are others here using exactly this setup with a less robust tripod. Probably the big difference is I already have the long lenses - and they are 10 pounds heavier than this proposed kit and 4 times the cost.

Hio eric,

I'm currently using Velbon 830 tripod with Jobu BW-Pro gimbal head. So far so good and enjoy your EDG85 :)

Thanks

You've obviously had success with this setup and your D300s.

Are you using a quick release with this setup? Does your tripod serve dual use for photography only or do you have another tripod?

Thanks

Are you using a quick release with this setup? Does your tripod serve dual use for photography only or do you have another tripod?

Had a quick look at the QR clamp you intend to buy - very pretty, however that's more than I paid for my Prominar scope brand new! You need to go look for some bargains or look on the used market. No QR clamp is worth that much.

Had a quick look at the QR clamp you intend to buy - very pretty, however that's more than I paid for my Prominar scope brand new! You need to go look for some bargains or look on the used market. No QR clamp is worth that much.

I understand. But from my perspective I'm taking 30-40,000 photos a year from a tripod, and I probably remove the camera and replace it about every 10 images. So a lever release is a really nice creature feature. The ballhead and tripod are also a little expensive, but very functional. As a result, I use them for 95% of my shots. You can tell the difference in sharpness.

When you spread the cost over 100,000 photos or more, it works out to less than one cent per photo. And even after several years of use, I can probably sell my tripod and ballhead for 70-80% of what I paid. My last tripod was sold for more than I paid after two years of use.

Now for birding it may be a different story, and my kit is certainly overkill. But I am planning to save some money by not buying another tripod and head just for the scope. It really helps to have the perspective of others who have tried some of this equipment and can share their experience.

Thanks

Yes quick release with the Jobu Pro BW gimbal head. I used to have the Manfrotto 501 video head with Long Plate and it balanced well. I changed to gimbal head for in flight shots :)

I understand. But from my perspective I'm taking 30-40,000 photos a year from a tripod, and I probably remove the camera and replace it about every 10 images. So a lever release is a really nice creature feature. The ballhead and tripod are also a little expensive, but very functional. As a result, I use them for 95% of my shots. You can tell the difference in sharpness.

When you spread the cost over 100,000 photos or more, it works out to less than one cent per photo. And even after several years of use, I can probably sell my tripod and ballhead for 70-80% of what I paid. My last tripod was sold for more than I paid after two years of use.

Now for birding it may be a different story, and my kit is certainly overkill. But I am planning to save some money by not buying another tripod and head just for the scope. It really helps to have the perspective of others who have tried some of this equipment and can share their experience.

It's only the QR clamp I was a bit taken aback by.I have 3 Arca fit QR clamps - the one built in to my Wimberley 2, a 50mm Chinese cheapie and a 105mm Indian lump. Frankly the strongest is the cheap piece of tat from India. I am critical or QR clamps/plates as they have to securely support anything up to my 600 F4 and I don't want that falling off!
I cannot criticize your choice of a Gitzo tripod - I am guilty of owning 4! Also given the fact that your 3540 is fairly light it would be silly to get another tripod, I use an older model 3 series carbon tripod (G1329 Mk2) for my spotting scope - heavier than yours but lovely and stable!
Only you can decide - if the QR clamp makes your life easier then it's a bargain.

Well I received the scope today.

The Gitzo 3 series legs are perfect. Perhaps a little heavier than required for birding, but since they are CF any additional weight savings of a series 2 would have minimal value. Minimizing vibration is critical with 20x and up viewing - and especially so for any photography.

The BH-40 ballhead with lever release is fine. But I found the Wimberley Sidekick to be a more effective way to use the scope. It easily supports the EDG 85 using the existing ballhead. The lever release on the ballhead and the small size of the BH-40 required some juggling to correctly and securely set up, but once in place worked great. I'm pretty sure the 4th Generation Design Companion will also work well and be a little more compact than the Sidekick.

I used a 4 inch flat Arca Swiss plate attached to the scope foot. Because of the long length of the scope, and the vastly different balance point with and without a DSLR, I have ordered a 6.5 inch plate from RRS to replace the current plate. The 4 inch plate I had only has one screw. It loosened after a short period of time. The 6 inch plate has two screws and should be much better.

Truth be told, I would probably prefer the security of a screw type quick release with the scope. It would be a little more secure with the Sidekick. But given the cost, I am not planning on that move any time soon. I also have a gimball head from Really Right Stuff that is used for my 600 f/4 lens. It will probably be used with the scope on occasion.

As far as the scope is concerned - it is amazing. The view is bright and sharp. Focus and zoom functions work wonderfully. I can't wait to give it a more thorough field test.

I agree the 3 series legs are better when the magnification goes up, I love my 2 series but over 25/30 magnification the 3's are better.
I am a bit of a miser when it comes to gear so I am always on the look out for the best deals available, so I thought $170 was a lot for, an admittedly top quality, QR clamp. Still if it suits you needs then I don't know of any alternative!
Glad to hear you are loving your new scope!

Hio Eric,

Just wondering if you have tried the Really Right Stuff TVC-33S VERSA TRIPOD ? Their package with BH-55 is tempting ...

My Velbon 830 CF is doing well but sometimes it is too heavy to lug around the forest and the weight alone is 3kg !

I have been reading the net about RRS tripod but found not many reviews online plus no one is using it here in my place.

Any advice ?

The RRS Versa series tripod is very well regarded. I don't have the tripod but know others who do. It is probably between the equivalent of a 3 series Gitzo and a series 4, but a little better designed and built. The top leg section of the Versa 3 is more like a Series 5 at 37mm. That should add stability. The base plate is designed to integrate with the legs, and that design should eliminate the chance of separation.

The BH-55 is terrific - in my mind the best ballhead on the market. It could be a little heavy but it handles very well. I use it with a Lever Release and find it terrific.

I'm not sure the S version of the tripod is long enough. At only 48 inches, it is a bit on the short side. The regular version is only a little heavier and 58 inches long, but the folded length is 26 inches which might be a problem.

My next tripod will most likely be a RRS Versa tripod. I have their BH-55, BH-40, and Gimbal Head and find the workmanship of everything they make is superb.

I have a Gitzo 5541LS and Feisol 3301 which I use for a Pentax PF80ED with a XW14 mounted on a 501 HDV. I can see some vibration when I use the light Feisol in moderate to heavy winds at higher magnifications. But there is no such problem when I use the big Gitzo. Still the 5541 is way over kill for a spotter but I think the 3 series is perfect.

The RRS Versa series tripod is very well regarded. I don't have the tripod but know others who do. It is probably between the equivalent of a 3 series Gitzo and a series 4, but a little better designed and built. The top leg section of the Versa 3 is more like a Series 5 at 37mm. That should add stability. The base plate is designed to integrate with the legs, and that design should eliminate the chance of separation.

The BH-55 is terrific - in my mind the best ballhead on the market. It could be a little heavy but it handles very well. I use it with a Lever Release and find it terrific.

I'm not sure the S version of the tripod is long enough. At only 48 inches, it is a bit on the short side. The regular version is only a little heavier and 58 inches long, but the folded length is 26 inches which might be a problem.

My next tripod will most likely be a RRS Versa tripod. I have their BH-55, BH-40, and Gimbal Head and find the workmanship of everything they make is superb.

Thanks a lot eric !

Will get the tripod and ball head this year hehehe :king:

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back