• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recomend a tripod head for ATX 95 (1 Viewer)

clive ward

Hi all. I have got a ATX 95 coming tomorrow and I will need a new tripod head for it. I was thinking of going with the Swarovski DH101 does anyone use one and would you recomend it? Could anyone recomend another brand? The scope weighs about 2KG.

Regards Clive

Last edited:
Clive,

I saw the DH101 on the Swarovski stand at Photokina and it doesn't seem to be much of an improvement on it's predecessor, the FH101. The latter came off very poorly in a Dutch test, being very prone to vibration, and both heads use a lot of plastic.

I don't know where the centre of gravity of the ATX 95 lies but suspect it could be somewhat front heavy, so it would be advisable to get a head which would accept long QR plates to achieve good balance.

The Manfrotto 701HDV is very good value. Others to consider are the Berlebach 552 (light, stable and well made but expensive) the Gitzo 2720 and, if weight is not a big issue, the Gitzo 2380.

Lastly, 3/8" screws are to be preferred to 1/4", i.e. without the adapter in the scope's tripod foot.

John

Thanks again John, I got the Gitzo 2380 very pleased with it. A bit heavy as you said but very stable, I got an ex display one from park cameras for £99.

Cheers Clive

Clive,

Congrats on the ATX95 and on getting such a good deal on the Gitzo 2380. Short of the big professional video heads, its separate friction controls for pan and tilt are unique AFAIK. I'm sure you don't need any further confirmation, but look at these vibration traces anyway: http://www.tvwg.nl/. Click on "Testrapporten" then "Statieven" and finally "Panoramakoppen".

John

Hi John

I looked at the test the 2380 came out very well. I looked at the tripod test as well, I have a Triopo tripod that is basically a copy of the Gitzo G1327. So if they copied it well I should have a good set up, if not I will have to look for a new Tripod any reccommendations? To be honest the set up now feels a bit top heavy but maybe thats because I am not used to it, I had a 60mm Kowa on it before that weighed less than the 2380, but I have not really tested it fully yet. I can't wait to get out this weekend.

Cheers Clive

Last edited:
Clive,

I was initially confused by the Gitzo model no., thinking it was a Series 1 tripod, but I believe it was a Series 3. The leg sections would have had diameters of 32, 28 and 24 mm.
If your Triopo has similar dimensions, I don't think you will have any worries.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back