• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (37 Viewers)

Titchwell October 7th

Today's highlights

Richard's pipit - 1 west @ 09:40
Whinchat - 3 on grazing marsh
Greenshank - 3 on fresh marsh
Bearded tit - large numbers irrupting from reedbed near Island Hide - morning best at the moment

Paul

Cracking evening on the patch at Surlingham. Added Bearded Tit to the site list; birds are clearly present year-round, but for the first time I managed good views of a pair from the hide. Reed Bunting, Cettis and a smattering of Teal made up the usual bits and bobs. No Barn Owl tonight, instead a new patch bird. From the ruins, the grazing land always looked like ideal habitat for Little Owl, and tonight I watched one hunting beetles from a fence post! The reserve is slowly revealing itself, and I hope for a breeding pair come the spring. Walking back to the car, Snipe and Water Rail could be heard.

Anyone got anything on the Saker? An October sighting in current conditions deserves a bit of our time surely?!
Cheers,
Jim.

10 Meadow Pipits, 3 Greenfinches, 2 Chaffinches, 1 Pied Wagtail, 2 Redwing, and 9 other distant (passerine) specks flew over Denver/Downham Market this morning in about 20 minutes. Good to see stuff is filtering inland.

Not much of a toe-hold

Speaking to two birders who saw this yesterday, this bird will probably not be seen, unless one engages in a couple of acts of trespass.

The large stubble field can be viewed from the public footpath, but you'd have to be very lucky to locate it from there.

A dozen or so Lapland Buntings and a couple of Stonechats were in the vicinity, too, it seems.

Speaking to two birders who saw this yesterday, this bird will probably not be seen, unless one engages in a couple of acts of trespass.

The large stubble field can be viewed from the public footpath, but you'd have to be very lucky to locate it from there.

A dozen or so Lapland Buntings and a couple of Stonechats were in the vicinity, too, it seems.

That doesn't sound very hopeful John. Thanks for the info though, much appreciated :t:

Lot of birds

huge numbers of birds about today, a flock of c400 Linnets in the cliff top fields at Sheringham, 100+ Skylarks, we also flushed a Quail but I managed to not see it !!.
Most strange were the Brambling feeding on the salt marsh in holkham bay, along with hundreds of pipits and wagtails. Song thrushes were coming in off along the coast all day. Also a juv Great Skua hanging around over warham greens, 2 miles inland, was an interesting sight.

What are they looking at ?

Walking towards Gramboro’, I noticed two visiting birders pointing their ‘scopes vaguely in my direction. When I found where they were looking, I realised that there was a Shorelark with a couple of Wheatears.

The ‘bowl’ held the depicted Brambling, 2 Goldcrests and a Blackcap. A Whinchat was along the fence.

Returning to the lark, I saw it flushed by a couple of Rott-ing, vile (or, even viler) dogs and was unable to relocate it.

The westernmost track at Warham Greens had a Yellow-browed Warbler with the wide-ranging tit flock. I saw it go from east of the small copse at the north end, all the way up the track and then east along another hedge. There were many dozens of Song Thrushes erupting from above and below, all along the track. One even exploded into a bush next to me: it had obviously just ‘arrived’.

Stiffkey Campsite Wood had a Pied Flycatcher and male Redstart. A Hen Harrier was again towards East Hills.

Friary had another Yellow-browed Warbler with one of its tit flocks. More Redwings here than elsewhere.

Towards dusk, Gramboro’ had a ‘new’ Chiffchaff and an arrival of several Robins. A Short-eared Owl was pursued by gulls.

Attachments

• 073sm.jpg
    073sm.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 144
  • 064psesm.jpg
    064psesm.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 115
Western Bonelli's

Paul - the bird was heard to give a distinctive disyllabic call by several different people, not the crossbill like 'chip' of an eastern. Hence it came up on the pagers as western on its 2nd or 3rd day

Has this definitely been verified? I saw a post on a birdguides photo which said that it had been making chip calls...

there was a Shorelark with a couple of Wheatears.
The ‘bowl’ held the depicted Brambling, 2 Goldcrests and a Blackcap. A Whinchat was along the fence.
The westernmost track at Warham Greens had a Yellow-browed Warbler There were many dozens of Song Thrushes erupting from above and below, all along the track.
Stiffkey Campsite Wood had a Pied Flycatcher and male Redstart. A Hen Harrier was again towards East Hills.
Friary had another Yellow-browed Warbler with one of its tit flocks. More Redwings here than elsewhere.
Towards dusk, Gramboro’ had a ‘new’ Chiffchaff and an arrival of several Robins. A Short-eared Owl was pursued by gulls.

Am SO excited as I will be on the N.Norfolk coast (Brancaster) from sunday until thursday.
The winds look excellent!

It's been a long time since I've been to Norfolk & am very rusty with the hotspots.

Would be very grateful for any 'insider' knowledge to increase my effectiveness during my stay. Anyone who wants to swap phone nos. & get anything I turn up on their mobile would be great - PM me anyone out in the county. Thanks.

I hope I'll have access to t'interweb while there & if so will be posting here.

Last edited:
Am SO excited as I will be on the N.Norfolk coast (Brancaster) from sunday until thursday.
The winds look excellent!

It's been a long time since I've been to Norfolk & am very rusty with the hotspots.

Would be very grateful for any 'insider' knowledge to increase my effectiveness during my stay. Anyone who wants to swap phone nos. & get anything I turn up on their mobile would be great - PM me anyone out in the county. Thanks.

I hope I'll have access to t'interweb while there & if so will be posting here.

Anywhere on the coast with these winds!!!!!!;) Try Holme Reserves, Thornham Point, reached via Titchwell RSPB reserve, Burnham Overy Dunes, Gun Hill, Holkham, Warham Greens/Stiffkey, Wells Wood, Cley, Walsey Hills, Blakeney Point etc etc.

Be prepared for some serious birding and good luck!!!:t:

I am also on holiday as from tomorrow for a week - think I may also have picked the right week!!!!!!;):t:

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Hi Penny

I will keep an eye open for you. Martin (Hummerman) and me are coming to Norfolk for Saturday and Sunday.

Can you recommend a good B&B between Thornham and Cley for the Saturday night.

John

Anywhere on the coast with these winds!!!!!!;) Try Holme Reserves, Thornham Point, reached via Titchwell RSPB reserve, Burnham Overy Dunes, Gun Hill, Holkham, Warham Greens/Stiffkey, Wells Wood, Cley, Walsey Hills, Blakeney Point etc etc.

I am also on holiday as from tomorrow for a week - think I may also have picked the right week!!!!!!;):t:

Thanks Penny! Talk of stuff pouring in has me drooling already. I'll be close to Titchwell & Choseley. Warham Greens sounds good. Are there any geese in yet?

Hi Penny

I will keep an eye open for you. Martin (Hummerman) and me are coming to Norfolk for Saturday and Sunday.

Can you recommend a good B&B between Thornham and Cley for the Saturday night.

John

Hope to bump into you then John:t:

Sorry don't really know of any reasonable B&B's, maybe someone else on here can help. Loads of expensive ones: Briarfields at Titchwell. The Three Swallows at Cley is quite reasonable I think. The Red Lion at Stiffkey is quite nice I think http://www.stiffkey.com/ - also The Lifeboat at Thornham.

Have a great weekend.

P.S. I started this accommodation thread a while back: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=91888

Last edited:
3 Lapland Buntings flew North over Denver Sluice this evening - patchwatching brings rewards!

More on my site...

I'm leaving early tomorrow morning and coming back Monday evening. I'm pretty confident I'm going to get a few lifers while I'm there. If the campsite has t'interweb I'll be checking on here and the news sites. Please could people post on here what they see too!

It's going to be freezing in a tent, but hopefully well worth it!

Maybe see some of you over the weekend!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back