• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (21 Viewers)

We went for a circular walk from Salthouse to Kelling and back to the Dun Cow in time for lunch. Highlights were restricted to 2 Stonechats - one on Meadow Lane and one at Gramborough Hill.

We were just sitting down with our drinks when our non-birder friend asked what the hawk was over the marsh. A quick look up and instead of the expected Marsh Harrier there was a buzzard and even better it was a Rough-legged Buzzard being mobbed by corvids. I alerted the other birders in the pub and we spilled out into the garden to watch the bird drift east.

Dave

Last edited:
some interesting comments from Dick Forsman on Surfbirds thread http://surfbirds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7560&page=3

Just flagging this up as the debate seems to have taken a twist, another new bird for Holme?

If accepted this would become the 2nd Holme record (following the one that wintered at Warham Greens 2002/2003 before flying west over Titchwell and Holme - don't have the exact date to hand).

American golden plover

I have just come back from seeing the American golden plover in north Norfolk.

Am not 100% sure of the ID. (Par for the course in 2010!) Seen off and on this Wednesday afternoon.

Bird could be picked out from the golden plovers and was white behind the eye. The mobile, elusive and easily spooked goldie flocks meant sightings were hard to come by. The bird was on top of a ploughed strip. Then disappeared down a furrow. The flock then took off and flew around. It was assumed the bird had landed near the ridge across the field.

A larger group could not find it. After I had gone home a further sighting was made.

No photos and rather mobile so not enough for the official record.

Not Monty's but pallid harrier

I decided not to rush off from Holme when the news of the olive-backed pipit came up.

Very close views of a pectoral sandpiper as a result. On the way back THE small harrier flew past me.

Dick Forsman extract from link above "I have never seen a fresh juv Monty without a dark trailing edge to the inner primaries!"

****** **** The harrier flew past me and turned. No photos to prove it but the trailing edge of the inner primaries WERE pale!

Never thought no more of it until now!

Titchwell October 20th

Today's highlights

Waxwing - 4 west @ 11:55
Twite - 10 feeding on brackish marsh close to main path
Water pipit - 1 on brackish marsh
Short eared owl - 1 hunting over dunes
Bittern - 1 on grazing marsh
Grey wagtail - 2 on fresh marsh

Paul

Waxwing - Dersingham

Waxwing reported on pager this afternoon for Dersingham, in an apple tree opposite the post office.

Although I dashed round there pretty quickly - I'm only a few streets away - I couldn't refind it but couldn't give it very long.

If anyone goes looking, the apple tree is not directly opposite the post office (not surprisingly in Post Office Road http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=Post+Office+Rd,+Dersingham,+King's+Lynn,+Norfolk+PE31,+United+Kingdom&ie=UTF8&cd=1&geocode=FeZdJgMdXLQHAA&split=0&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=6.881357,14.941406&hq=&hnear=Post+Office+Rd,+Dersingham,+King's+Lynn,+Norfolk+PE31,+United+Kingdom&z=16) but a bit further west down the road. But there's lots of berry-bearing trees in the vicinity, including outside my office window!

Irene

Today's highlights

Waxwing - 4 west @ 11:55
Twite - 10 feeding on brackish marsh close to main path
Water pipit - 1 on brackish marsh
Short eared owl - 1 hunting over dunes
Bittern - 1 on grazing marsh
Grey wagtail - 2 on fresh marsh

Paul

Surely the Ortolan Bunting would be a highlight ? Or did you write this before it was reported ?

Paul - The bird showed very well around 3.45pm. There is no doubt to its ID, a classic juv AGP.

the record is still on, come on Robin only 8 to go

Cheers Stuart
Robin and another birder Mike were at the AGP with me. We all picked it from our cars, to avoid disturbing the flock. It soon was lost to view.

Robin not prepared to tick it on the views we had but bird was refound.

I always thought rare birds never came to me. Too much good stuff on the day of the olive-backed pipit to leave Holme when the first OBP message came out.

I saw Julian Bhalerao walking towards me when at the pec sand. He took some great shots. (Some on Dave Norgate's blog)

Wryneck would not come out of the bush it was in as I walked back from the pec. A ringtail harrier flew past. Small and red underneath. Saw the underside at close quarters. Pale edges to inner primaries and not dark. Pictues clearly show this.

Did not know the 1995 small harrier was photographed and proven to be a Monty's. (Thanks to Phil Bishop's reply to my query on the 1995 bird on the harrier thread.)

My third Norfolk pallid harrier, armchair year tick.B :):t:

Surely the Ortolan Bunting would be a highlight ? Or did you write this before it was reported ?

It would have been it had been an hour earlier. Talking to someone who was on site at the time this morning said that 4 experienced birders had it feeding with 5 lapland buntings and the twite on the brackish marsh. All the birds were flushed and the ortolan didn't return.

Paul

Titchwell October 21st

Today's highlights

Waxwing - 28 (3 south @ 09:00, 15 west @ 10:55, 10 west @ 12:30)
Twite - 9 on brackish marsh
Woodlark - 1 west @ 12:30
Whooper swan - 1 south in morning, 2 on brackish marsh this afternoon
Sandwich tern - 1 offshore

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back