• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is buzzing noise that Olympus LS-12 is recording? (1 Viewer)

Ross Ahmed

In recordings made with my Olympus ls-12, there is a constant buzzing noise. You can see it in the sonogram below (the faint think black line at c10kHz). Anyone know what this buzzing noise is?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2016-06-08 14.20.17.jpg
    Screenshot 2016-06-08 14.20.17.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 147
It is usually electronic noise. Either internal noise if you have the mic gain turned up high or from externally powered mics or pre amps. The only way to find out is trial and error, removing the various sources and see what difference it makes.

The noise can come from other non-connected sources, such as a mobile phone or say a computer, its clock signal being radiated is one possible source. With nothing connected other than headphones my LS-14 only records typical white noise mush at full recording volume through its internal mics in an effectively sound proof room with no discernable buzz. With one older recorder I even picked up local taxi radios some years ago.

Last edited:
I've tried the recorder on low and mid gain settings and the buzzing remains. Any other suggestions for how to get rid of it?

I've tried the recorder on low and mid gain settings and the buzzing remains. Any other suggestions for how to get rid of it?

Is it there with internal or the external mics, or both?

I had the earth connection go on a Soundman OKM binaural pair of mics. Picked up no end of whine from the display, which of course went when I unplugged the external mics.

Unfortunately I didn't jump to that before I had the LS10 in pieces :C but when I reassembled it and fixed the ground connection on the mics it was fine.

10k will sound like a high-pitched whine, buzz is usually picking up something mains related and usually < 500Hz. It's often associated with a grounding fault - check the connection of the mic ground to the sleeve of the 3.5mm jack with a meter.

You sonogram shows a lot of hash in the low frequencies which is where you'd find buzz. The 10k isn't there all the time which it would be if it were interference and is quite broad band between about 9.5 to 10.5kHz, I'd suspect that's a resonance in the mic capsule or recording rig and wouldn't really worry about it

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back