• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Middleton Lakes (2 Viewers)

Nothing "supposed" about the egret - pics on my twitter (@tamebirding) if you care to look. :)

Also you wouldn't expect groppers to be audible in June as they are busy breeding. They do have a second singing period in July though so all is not lost for this year.

Thanks...supposed was a joke as it was on a forum as being seen on Sunday then removed....

I was ONLY hoping to see a Grasshopper as I cannot hear about 99% of bird song now.....lol....the Female Cuckoo must have been the other 1%.

Has autumn started already? Today a white ruffed Ruff and a Snipe were on JWs and a Green Sandpiper was reported on the southern meadow.
There were plenty of young birds around including 8 Avocet from 2 broods still plus Oystercatcher, LRP, Ringed Plover, Lapwing and Redshank. The Egyptian Geese have managed to keep 1 gosling on DNR and at least 2 broods of Shelduck were seen on JWs. Cuckoo and Grasshopper Warbler were singing.
3 young Tawny Owl and a Bittern have been reported recently.

The Bar-headed Goose was on JWs yesterday. Of interest a flock of 10 including 2 juveniles were at Spurn on the 17th June, I wonder how long it will be for them to be added to the British List?
Todays highlights were the Ruff still on JWs, Green Sandpiper reported again, 2 juvenile LRP,1 Herring Gull, 3 Cuckoo, 1 Treecreeper and 2 Linnet.

Highlights today, 3 broods of Shelduck (2 JWs and 1 NP), 6 Avocet have moved to Hall Lake and the other 6 were still on JWs river scrape, 2 Green Sandpiper on HL.

Also today a Cuckoo flew over JWs and later a Hobby (both after you left Geoff). 3 LRP, 1 Ringed Plover, total of 10 Redshank (including 3 chicks), at least 1 Oystercatcher chick, and a Bar-headed Goose - all on JWs.

2 month ticks today, 1 Goosander on the river and a Water Rail calling on the silt pool. Waders in similar numbers to previous and a Cuckoo was still calling.

7am to 10am this morning:

Green Sandpiper on Hall Lake.
Cuckoo flew across Jubilee Wetlands from Dosthill direction, then could be heard calling along the canal for some time afterwards.
Kestrel over Fisher's Mill being noisily harassed by Black-Headed Gulls.
Peregrine flew from North Pit high over Jubilee Wetlands, then plunged downwards near the trees by the river screen. I was at the north end and didn't see if it caught anything, but I didn't see it again so I'm guessing it may have done.
Bar Headed Goose on Jubilee Wetlands, keeping company with a small group of Canada Geese.

Jubilee Wetlands from river screen - at least two adult and one juvenile Ringed Plover, a solitary Little Ringed Plover, numerous mobile and noisy Redshank, a single Black-Tailed Godwit, good numbers of adult and juvenile Avocet.

OK I give in. I've been going to Middleton on a fairly regular basis for a few years now and until very recently I thought I knew the reserve fairly well but I have absolutely no clue where Hall Lake is. It's not marked on any map of the reserve that I've ever seen. Can some kind soul please put a grumpy old curmudgeon out of his misery?

OK I give in. I've been going to Middleton on a fairly regular basis for a few years now and until very recently I thought I knew the reserve fairly well but I have absolutely no clue where Hall Lake is. It's not marked on any map of the reserve that I've ever seen. Can some kind soul please put a grumpy old curmudgeon out of his misery?

Hall Lake is the lake nearest Middleton Hall, it's not part of the RSPB reserve but is considered part of the recording area.

The first brood of Avocet were back on Hall Lake again this evening. Also present was a single Green Sandpiper and Juvenile Water Rail. On JW was the second Avocet brood which are also now all flying. Excellent news that all 8 chicks survived to fully fledge. In the Heronry 3 Little Egret Chicks were visible - let's hope there are more. The Black-Tailed Godwit was still on East Scrape at dusk. Plenty of Redshank around including the brood of 3 which are now independent of their parents and were feeding amongst the Avo's which I was surprised to see was being tolerated.

Steve

Just the 2 Little Egret in the riverside roost last week and now tonight 18+. Where have they all come from. None of them looked like juveniles. East scrape still had 2 Black Tailed Godwits, 6 Avocet, Dunlin and a Common Sandpiper. Couldn't find the earlier reported Ruff or Green Sand but didn't venture to the North end. 10+ Redshank around.

Just the 2 Little Egret in the riverside roost last week and now tonight 18+. Where have they all come from. None of them looked like juveniles. East scrape still had 2 Black Tailed Godwits, 6 Avocet, Dunlin and a Common Sandpiper. Couldn't find the earlier reported Ruff or Green Sand but didn't venture to the North end. 10+ Redshank around.
Hi Steve, What time is the evening roost and any sign of the GWE lately?

Hi Steve, What time is the evening roost and any sign of the GWE lately?

Geoff - they are going in from 8pm onwards. probably no more came in after 9.30pm. Easy to see last night as wind was from the North East so they nearly all roosted on the South West side of the willows and visible from between the screens. There are also a couple of roosts at Kingsbury at the moment containing a handful of birds.

It's quite a while since I've seen a GWE - probably April was my last sighting.

Geoff - they are going in from 8pm onwards. probably no more came in after 9.30pm. Easy to see last night as wind was from the North East so they nearly all roosted on the South West side of the willows and visible from between the screens. There are also a couple of roosts at Kingsbury at the moment containing a handful of birds.

It's quite a while since I've seen a GWE - probably April was my last sighting.

Wasnt it recorded on the Spring All-Day Birdwatch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back