• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Saving birds with technology (1 Viewer)

EricLowes

I just read this article and it totally blew my mind. I mean this is just outstanding :)

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-34039680

Apparently, stupid pochers took this Toucan's beak and fled. These heartless ppl don't have enough decency to realize that how the heck is a bird suppose to eat if you take away it's beak!

Anyways, I can't believe that this '3d printing' technology can help you make stuff like this at your own home.

Does anyone own one of these printers. I would love to make fun stuff for my two parrots.

I also came across this bird feeder that you can simply 'print'.

https://pinshape.com/items/7341-3d-printed-bird-feeder-container-3dponics-home-and-garden

Can anyone share more info on this up and coming technology I guess. If you have a 3d printer, then have to be best friends :)

Hi,

thanks for the great read - unfortunately I think at the current state the whole effort is good for raising awareness for the problem of poaching and/or animal smuggling only.

For normal veterinary practice the technique is just not feasible right now since it's taken three months to design the part... not really possible unless you've got a volunteer. Although it's used to make bleeding edge artificial limbs for humans.

In principle 3D printers allow you to produce almost arbitrary forms in plastic (and metal in very high end devices) - slowly and one at a time but without expensive tooling like moulds. But you need to create the form in a CAD program first. It's great for prototyping and low volume production of specialized parts (sometimes you can't produce them at all with normal moulding techniques) and a great playground for hackers (aka makers). You might want to check if there's a hacker-/makerspace nearby - they often have a printer and the knowledge how to use it.

PS: The Vancouver Hack Space (#104-1715 Cook St Vancouver, BC V5Y 3J6) has two...

Joachim

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back