• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tawny eagle ? Ethiopia May 2017 (1 Viewer)

bassel

Hello to all

I need a confirmation on this eagle . I see a dark tawny in this bird . Confirmation required

Thanks in advance

Bassel

Attachments

• 083A8254.JPG
    083A8254.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 083A8259.JPG
    083A8259.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 48
The not well defined dark trailing edge was the very first reliable feature I thought of to exclude a steppe . Also the wing proportions as I believe don't fit a steppe .

gape vs eye kinda mid-way between the 2, but slightly closer to tawny..? (Don't know how good a character this is)

The not well defined dark trailing edge was the very first reliable feature I thought of to exclude a steppe . Also the wing proportions as I believe don't fit a steppe .

Flight feathers are very old, worn, so the tip (where is supposed to be the trailing edge) is shorter in most, giving a strange shape (same on tail, looking very short).

Plumage is too dark for belisarius imho, and worn but still broad white band on greater coverts say Steppe to me, so I keep my identification (ready to learn and improve though).

I think the gape is long enough for orientalis.

Flight feathers are very old, worn, so the tip (where is supposed to be the trailing edge) is shorter in most, giving a strange shape (same on tail, looking very short).

Plumage is too dark for belisarius imho, and worn but still broad white band on greater coverts say Steppe to me, so I keep my identification (ready to learn and improve though).

I think the gape is long enough for orientalis.

Now I have to disagree strongly:
* there are several moult waves in this bird and some feathers are new, no excuse for missing subterminal band and strange shape
* some Tawny are very dark and the darkest are to be found in Ethiopia
* I do not see any broad white band on greater coverts, just a thin whitish lateral edge
* gape is almost impossible to use in such flight pictures but surely looks shortish with no big lips, but nothing sure here

Now I have to disagree strongly:
* there are several moult waves in this bird and some feathers are new, no excuse for missing subterminal band and strange shape
* some Tawny are very dark and the darkest are to be found in Ethiopia
* I do not see any broad white band on greater coverts, just a thin whitish lateral edge
* gape is almost impossible to use in such flight pictures but surely looks shortish with no big lips, but nothing sure here

Well, in Russia I guess on this one we agree it is a Steppe Eagle, although paler.

http://www.hbw.com/ibc/photo/steppe-eagle-aquila-nipalensis/bird-flying

I see similar flight feathers pattern in a more-or-less similar worn plumage, and same mixed white/brown greater coverts, typical of a moult immature Steppe Eagle.

Last edited:
* I do not see any broad white band on greater coverts,

The tip of new feathers are paler, that is usual in many birds and this is not my point. Now the old immature feathers (they are not many - most greater coverts were replaced- but still several) clearly show the visible part is white. A few month before, all the visible underwing greater coverts were white, typical of Steppe.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back