• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Konica Minolta Dynax 5D (1 Viewer)

Dave B

I was all set to get myself a Nikon D50 when I read a review of this camera that rates it even higher than the Nikon. It uses KM's anti-shake technology (also in the earlier 7D).

I have two questions:

1. Has anyone used this camera? If so, what do you think of it?
2. Does the AS work with the Sigma 70-300 APO lens?

OK, that's three! And one more ... are there any examples of pics taken with this gear you could point me to?

Thanks,

Dave

Dave B said:
I was all set to get myself a Nikon D50 when I read a review of this camera that rates it even higher than the Nikon. It uses KM's anti-shake technology (also in the earlier 7D).

I have two questions:

OK, that's three! And one more ... are there any examples of pics taken with this gear you could point me to?

Thanks,

Dave

I have a 7D, the 5D's elder brother with the same anti-shake system, and a Sigma 70-300 (because of the CCD size effectively 105-450) APO Macro Super. Konica Minolta's AS works very well with the Sigma (you are advised to turn AS off when using a tripod) but Sigma's Macro doesn't work with either camera.

Overall the 7D and 5D are excellent (a replacement 7D and a new 9D are rumoured to be imminent).

Our currently damp and very dull UK winter hasn't encouraged me to try the camera/lens combination seriously but you can find a lot of 7D and 5D pics from brighter climes on the Internet. I've yet to see wildlife examples.

HTH.

Geoff.

Dave B said:

I have two questions:

Thanks,

Dave

I use the 7D and the anti-shake works fine with my 200-500mm Tamron Lens so the 70-300 should be no problem. The link to the 7D on Keith Reeder's comment has some of my successes.

David Lee

Minolta 5D is a great camera, but be aware that Konica Minolta have now annouced that they are pulling out of the camera market. They're passing the baton over to Sony, who should continue the KM lens line, but it is a bit of a blow.

Really sorry to see them go - I had a Minolta A2 (which I loved) and I got within a whisker of being a 7D owner, but the EOS20D won me over.

Take a look at this Article on DP Review

QuantumTiger said:
Minolta 5D is a great camera, but be aware that Konica Minolta have now annouced that they are pulling out of the camera market. They're passing the baton over to Sony, who should continue the KM lens line, but it is a bit of a blow.

Really sorry to see them go - I had a Minolta A2 (which I loved) and I got within a whisker of being a 7D owner, but the EOS20D won me over.

Take a look at this Article on DP Review

Thanks Tyler and everyone else. This adds a new dimension to my decision! More time to ponder needed!

Dave B said:
Thanks Tyler and everyone else. This adds a new dimension to my decision! More time to ponder needed!
Please feed us back with your photos using 5D. I am using 7D and sharing 5D with my father. Digiscoping is a new dimension to me and I am eagerly to know anything about it. I used to attach Fuji S1Pro via a T adapter to microscope and has not been very successful

I have used a Pentax 80ed spotting scope and my Minolta 5d. The pictures are acceptable, but not great. I used a T mount and I changed the eye piece on my Pentax to a 25 mm eyepiece connected it to the T mount using an adapter. It works but I can only take pictures in the bright daylight. In the evening there is problem with enough available light.

I had my 5D in action yesterday, got some reasonable dronefly and a few mallard shots images using a sony DT55-200 lens, must be a lot of these various 6MP cameras still floating around (Minolta and other makes), still a good starting point or backup often to be picked up quite cheap along with a couple of lenses.

Len

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back