• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tice's Meadow and Tongham GP, Surrey (1 Viewer)

Nice to bump into you, John, and glad you got some good shots of the Wheatear. Not a great deal to add to your tally really, in fact numbers of most things seemed down today on yesterday, probably due, at least in part, to the reckless dog walkers (Incidentally, in addition to John's observation regarding the geese, I also saw a chap with a dog that was chasing Meadow Pipits near the remains of the bank). Heard a couple of Bullfinch in the bushes again, but they're still remaining elusive. A couple of Buzzard and a Common Gull over the meadow/workings, as well as a Snipe, which I think must have also been flushed by a dog, although I didn't see exactly where it came from. The odd Siskin over, as well as 4 Redwing heading northeast.

Matt.

2 Peregine over workings mid day as well as Buzzard Kestrel and Sparrow hawk.Must agree with john must be some fencing . Meeting coming up mid November lets make our selfs heard.

Rock Pipit in amongst at least 200 Pied Wagtails at the northern end of the workings; also at least 5 Snipe and 2 Green Sandpiper.

Last edited:
Early visit this morning, rather quiet, just 2 Green Sandpipers in the overflow pit which has been partly filled in sadly, 2 Egyptian Geese, 25+ Lapwing, 3 Skylark, 4+ Meadow Pipit, & 20+ Linnet.

John.

Very similar to yesterday this morning, increase in Lapwing no's to 38, more Meadow Pipits, at least 20 present. Also 10+ Skylark, 2 Green Sandpiper, best birds were 2 Yellowhammer which were feeding on the fresh workings near the stream.

John.

The Golden Plovers had gone by the time I left work but a timely call from Rich H confirmed that two had turned up and were in amongst 94 Lapwing. They showed well as I arrived but disappeared in a furrow quite easily. 7 Fieldfare present with 2 on the ground, 5 Common Gull over and around 250 Canada Geese on the Meadow. The fences are back up, hence no dog walkers, and I would suggest that the best area to access Tice's is now via the Kiln. Walk south along the hedgerow and enjoy the views from the table in the dog training area. Just don't get caught!

Last edited:
No sign of any Golden Plover this morning, 153 Canada Geese, 20 + Meadow Pipit, 2 Snipe, 32 Lapwing, 4 Skylark, & 2 Green Sandpipers seen. An update on access, I parked near the pumping station & walked across the meadow only to discover that the area between the viewing mound & track to the workings is unfenced. Not sure why this is, but obviously with no one around at the weekends, dog walkers et al are going to carry on as before. That said, care needs to be taken as the site is an absolute quagmire with the combination of heavy machinery & heavy rain this week.

John.

Hi Guys,

I last visited Tice's Meadow about a year ago now and went to visit last week only to find the mound I stood on last time was flattened and no birds where present on the previous pools apart from some diggers!! Do I need to walk further right to the other end? (I normally park in the small lay-by next to the gate opposite the Badshot Lea Garage which is now closed down)

Any help regarding how I can see all the wonderful birds your seeing would be appreciated!!

Many Thanks

Alex

Similar species to yesterday this morning, though only 1 Snipe today. Meadow Pipit no's seem to be increasing, & Skylarks still very prominant. The 2 Green Sandpipers were present around the workings again & at least 4 Lesser Redpoll were noted on the walk back.
To answer Alex's question, I refer you back to my last post regarding access, the embankment has gone apart from the remaining viewing mound. At the weekends when works are not taking place, you can, at your own risk, access the workings & meadow via the unfenced section adjacent to the mound. However during the week, access is strictly forbidden without permission & appropriate PPE. It may well be that the unfenced section will be fenced off as well, in which case viewing will only be from the mound.

John.

A productive couple of hours with Dave B this morning (10:30-13:00). There were at least 2 Snipe flushed from the meadow by a dog, although also one near the workings later, not entirely sure if it was one of the previous 2 though, as didn't see those come down. Good numbers of Lapwing (c.45), LBB Gull (c.38), and Black-headeds (60+) all sent skyward by a Peregrine which came in for a bath, before circling around for a while. At least 3 Buzzards and a Sparrowhawk also made an appearance. 1 each of Teal and Reed Bunting. Nice views of a female Bullfinch in the hedgerow. Dave also heard a Chiffchaff in the hedgerow before I arrived. A Kingfisher was heard but not seen, at the same time as 2 Green Sands flew across the workings. Also of note were 3 Common Gull, and a couple of Herring Gull, one of which was larger and chunkier than the other, with a darker back, so likely Scandinavian argentatus?

Matt.

Very quiet late afternoon with all the Gulls gone, only a dozen or so Lapwings and around 200 Canada Geese. 50+ Linnet were nice to see though. Thanks for the tip about the gap in the fence though and I managed to re-muddy my wellies.

Hi Guys,

I last visited Tice's Meadow about a year ago now and went to visit last week only to find the mound I stood on last time was flattened and no birds where present on the previous pools apart from some diggers!! Do I need to walk further right to the other end? (I normally park in the small lay-by next to the gate opposite the Badshot Lea Garage which is now closed down)

Any help regarding how I can see all the wonderful birds your seeing would be appreciated!!

Many Thanks

Alex

Alex,

I hope it's your parents parking in the lay-by and not you! John has perhaps said it all but would suggest that the remaining mound near the workings is the best place to view once the fence is fully up. If, at the weekends, you can get into the workings I would strongly urge wellies. The site will improve once it starts filling up with water again after sustained draining. The Gulls have started to return, as have the Golden Plover, so keep a look out on birdforum for sightings; you might be pleasantly surprised.

Rich.

PS Not a bad list total for a 14 year old!

Thanks for the help guys, I'll be going Saturday probably. WWhere is the "old pumping station" as by the sounds of it that is the best place to park, and presumably the remaining viewing mound is the only mound left which I think I saw the other week. Golden Plover seen again today so I'll keep my fingers crossed, only seen this species once before and at a ridiculous distance!!

"PS Not a bad list total for a 14 year old!"

ThanksRich, up to 216 now with Ferruginous Duck and Garganey, seen some quite good birds, highlights being: Little Bittern, Glossy Ibis, Long Billed Dowitcher, GWE and Cattle Egret, plus most of the commoner breeding birds with reason additions like: Crested Tit, Red Grouse Merlin and Hen Harrier at Thursley self found by myself!

Hi Alex,

Forget about the pumping station, I only parked there because I did'nt realise there was still access near the mound. You can still park opposite the old Badshot Lea Garage & walk in along the path to the mound as before. If you're trying for the Golden Plover, I would recommend an afternoon visit as this seems to be the best time to connect with them after speaking to Rich H at the weekend. I have not seen any on my regular early morning visits over the past few weekends, look out also for Peregrines that are attracted to the Lapwing/Golden Plover flock.

Good Luck,

John.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back