• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

bunting maybe? UK (1 Viewer)

Indeed Deborah. I would guess (wildly) that the smaller and less obvious CB (right hand bird) is a 2cy bird which perhaps the original bird in this thread was too.

Are you suggesting that because of the bill colour tt? As far as I'm aware, CBs have a complete post-juvenile moult, so wing and body feathers will show same generation/equal wear this time of year and presumably look basically adult-like.

Are you suggesting that because of the bill colour tt? As far as I'm aware, CBs have a complete post-juvenile moult, so wing and body feathers will show same generation/equal wear this time of year and presumably look basically adult-like.

No, I'm not really suggesting anything. Bill colour is spot on for Corn Bunting for any age, I would imagine. Like I said, just guessing wildly. That bird did stand out as being different and I'm just thinking out loud, so to speak.

Thanks for the comments on the images Phil.

No, I'm not really suggesting anything. Bill colour is spot on for Corn Bunting for any age, I would imagine. Like I said, just guessing wildly. That bird did stand out as being different and I'm just thinking out loud, so to speak.

Ok, no prob! Wasn't sure what you were referring to. Perhaps the apparent size being slightly smaller? - which could indicate an adult female I guess! (juveniles also slightly shorter winged and slightly less heavy but after autumn moult, this probably wouldn't be helpful in separating a 2cy male from an adult female) otherwise, not really sexually diamorphic and hard to age in the field I think.

Agree with Phil, excellent photos.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back