• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panama, Central america (1 Viewer)

Endemic

Did you know Panama has over 900 species of birds, including motmots, toucans, mackaws, quetzals, manakins, trogons, the Harpy Eagle, etc...

But watch out in Panamá City-- I got pickpocketed.. or pockpicketed-- and had to chase two kids down the street for three blocks before I caught them and grabbed my wallet back. And gave them a lecture-- in English. (We sometimes do impractical things when overwrought.)

Charles Harper said:
But watch out in Panamá City-- I got pickpocketed.. or pockpicketed-- and had to chase two kids down the street for three blocks before I caught them and grabbed my wallet back. And gave them a lecture-- in English. (We sometimes do impractical things when overwrought.)

Wow, I'm not sure I'd have the courage to do something like that, Charles. These days you're as likely to get a knife or worse pointed back at you.
btw: What's happened to the Men in Black / Reservoir dogs avatar? Looked rather cool.

It upset KC (the Blues Bro, not the pockpicketing), Andy.

It would be interesting (and, I hope, not disappointing) to go back to Panamá now that the Canal Zone has reverted to the country. The zone was about the only area of pristine forest, saved from lumbering only because it was US property.

Correction

Charles Harper said:
It upset KC (the Blues Bro, not the pockpicketing), Andy.

It would be interesting (and, I hope, not disappointing) to go back to Panamá now that the Canal Zone has reverted to the country. The zone was about the only area of pristine forest, saved from lumbering only because it was US property.

Dear Charles:
When ever you come back to Panama send me and email so I could show you arround.
In 2003 the satellites images showed that 42% of the country still forested, but the former Canal Zone only represents 6% of all of Panama. 33% of the Country is under the system of Nationals Parks, that´s besides the other categories of conservation.
East of Panama City you could find one of the largest marshes in the Pacific side of Central America, Panama Bay moodflats and mangroves system, resently protected under the Ramsar Convention wich Panama is signatary. Only 1 1/2 hours from Panama you could visit Parque Nacional Chagres that cover 600,000 acres of Virgin Untouched tropical rainforest, never protected by the americans, and home to some of the must accesibles Harpy Eagles nests in the planet.
It is truth: we are lucky to have the former Canal Zone prittey much all forested, but is not the only place in Panama to go birding.
I will recomend you to read the book Emperors in the Jungle, Jhon Lindsay-Poland, so you could know the real reason why the american army let the jungles to grow back in the Canal Zone.
:eat:

Last edited:
Panama is a beautiful country. I took a short trip there last June and can't stop thinking about it -- would love to go back as soon as humanly possible. I stayed at Gamboa and even the parking lot had good birding!

I'll try to link to my trip report, which is somewhat long and rambling:

http://peachfront.diaryland.com/pandiary.html

I would be tickled pink to see the Harpy Eagle nests, that must be something.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back