• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

some sketches from the eastern rhodopes/bulgaria part 1 (1 Viewer)

neophron

some sketches from the eastern rhodopes/bulgaria part 1–4

Hi all,

after I wrote some lines about a potential painting trip to Bulgaria, I collected some sketches all from the eastern rhodopes. Some of them are 10 years old.

technique: mostly ink pen, colored pencils and watercolour

neophron

Attachments

• bee-eater.jpg
    bee-eater.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 113
  • gyps3x.jpg
    gyps3x.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 100
  • housemartin.jpg
    housemartin.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 108
  • blaumerle.jpg
    blaumerle.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 110
  • rock-nuthatch.jpg
    rock-nuthatch.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
some sketches from the eastern rhodopes/bulgaria part 2

the next 5 sketches…

Attachments

• vultures-domin.jpg
    vultures-domin.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 92
  • misc-vultures.jpg
    misc-vultures.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 103
  • gyps-wings.jpg
    gyps-wings.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 103
  • gyps-shadow.jpg
    gyps-shadow.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 105
  • e-cirlus.jpg
    e-cirlus.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 104
some sketches from the eastern rhodopes/bulgaria part 3

…the next five…

Attachments

• rufinus.jpg
    rufinus.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 114
  • flight-misc.jpg
    flight-misc.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 115
  • monachus.jpg
    monachus.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 117
  • gyps2-flight.jpg
    gyps2-flight.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 115
  • pernis.jpg
    pernis.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 127
some sketches from the eastern rhodopes/bulgaria part 4

… the last 4.

Attachments

• rock-bunting.jpg
    rock-bunting.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 109
  • s-nisoria.jpg
    s-nisoria.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 105
  • vulture-flight.jpg
    vulture-flight.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 124
  • vultures-on-rocks.jpg
    vultures-on-rocks.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 111
Fabulous, Nikolai. I've always been a huge fan of your fieldwork and your skill and craft is evident in these examples. I particularly like the rock nuthatch and griffon vulture studies - just as I imagine them to be (never seen either!). I think my overall favourite is the raptor with the snake (long-legged buzzard?) - great action and lovely colourwork.
Tremendous stuff - and what a fine way to introduce yourself!

Excellent work Nikolai. My favourite has to be the third vulture of the third post, doesn't need any more work, just framing as it is. I'm already looking forward to more having already spent a happy half hour on your website.

Woody

Great sketches Nicolai, thanks for sharing them with us. I'm visiting the Eastern Rhodopes amongst other area's of southern Bulgaria next May and very much looking forward to seeing some of these magnificent birds.

I've come across your work before on the net, and I'm glad that you're sharing it here now. Some fantastic sketches of some fantastic birds, they're so lively, I'm feeling inspired to sketch, shame it's dark now!

I've come across your work before on the net, and I'm glad that you're sharing it here now. Some fantastic sketches of some fantastic birds, they're so lively, I'm feeling inspired to sketch, shame it's dark now!

Wonderful sketches, love the Bee Eater and the Black vultures, all of it is tremendous though. Thanks fo posting and lookforward to seeing more...

Bulgaria trip reports and checklist

Great sketches Nicolai, thanks for sharing them with us. I'm visiting the Eastern Rhodopes amongst other area's of southern Bulgaria next May and very much looking forward to seeing some of these magnificent birds.

I don't know if you've seen it already, but there's a trip report on the web site
http://www.birdinginspain.com

in the free downloads section that may be of some use to you in the planning of your trip. As well as a checklist there's also a trip report in Spanish, but with photos, of the same trip in May 2005. Bulgaria's an excellent place for a birding trip, I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Hi all,

after I wrote some lines about a potential painting trip to Bulgaria, I collected some sketches all from the eastern rhodopes. Some of them are 10 years old.

technique: mostly ink pen, colored pencils and watercolour

neophron

Nickolai, Wonderful pen and ink work. looking forward to seeing more
and Bulgaria seem's to have alot to offer us!

Excellent inspiring field work!!:clap::clap:
Evidence of deep understanding of your subject!!
Thank you for sharing them with us Nikolai!!:t:
Looking forward to see more.....

Hi guys,

thanks for your kind comments. Most of these sketches are from my active sketching period (1996–2002). After that I started to sketch and paint completely different subjects. There was even a period I didn't paint birds at all. But deep in my soul I'm still a birdpainter.

neophron

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back