Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
Old Sunday 30th July 2017, 20:56   #26
Tobias Mennle

I agree viewing comfort is a big problem in the Ultravid 8x32 making it a luxury product for bright days only. Optimized for small size with overaggressive baffling (truncated exit pupils) for good flare suppression. Very very sharp. Swarovision feels comfortable but flares like hell. If you go for an EDG, why not go for the 8x42, it΄s only insignificantly heavier IMO and that would be an allrounder.

More insights on the FL?
Old Monday 31st July 2017, 04:17   #27
cycleguy

Interesting...

The 8x32 Leica UVHD+ is just about the top of my list for next binocular to try. I'm going this direction because I've found that I am very fond of the Maven B3 (size) but would prefer it with top notch optics. Think the Leica 8x32 is as close as I'll get. (Not a fan of the Swaro Companion).

I've handled an ?x32 Leica UV (don't recall if it was 8x or 10x but think it was 10x) some time ago. I owned the 10x32 EL WB at the time and thought the Leica to easily be every bit as good if not a bit better... however it was a few hundred dollars more at the time which left me in the position of "for the cost, why would anyone pass over the EL wb for the UV???

Unfortunately, nobody here carries the little Leica so it will be dropping almost $2k on glass sight unseen. Its worked out on an EDG and on a Leica UVHD+, but on numerous other occasions it hasn't so I'm a little leery.

Had heard nothing but the highest praise for the Swaro, so I bought one. I experienced rolling ball with the 8x32 EL SV so I had to let it go. I too experienced what I thought was a bit higher level of flare for this price class of instrument... and as always, I find the Swaro focusers lacking in a refined feel for a $2k plus instrument... same for the focusers on the Leica I've handled with the exception of one which was exceptional, unfortunately not the one I own.

My .02,

CG

Last edited by cycleguy : Monday 31st July 2017 at 04:20.
Old Monday 31st July 2017, 09:57   #28
Gijs van Ginkel

cycleguy, post 27,
If you start looking for a very good 8x32 next to the Leica Ultravid HD-plus, you should also look at and through the Meopta Meostar B1 8x32: very similar in performance to the Leica and some points even a little better but 1000 euros cheaper.
Gijs van Ginkel
Old Monday 31st July 2017, 10:11   #29
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gijs van Ginkel View Post
cycleguy, post 27,
If you start looking for a very good 8x32 next to the Leica Ultravid HD-plus, you should also look at and through the Meopta Meostar B1 8x32: very similar in performance to the Leica and some points even a little better but 1000 euros cheaper.
Gijs van Ginkel
I absolutely agree.

Lee
Old Monday 31st July 2017, 22:51   #30
Rathaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias Mennle View Post
I agree viewing comfort is a big problem in the Ultravid 8x32 making it a luxury product for bright days only. Optimized for small size with overaggressive baffling (truncated exit pupils) for good flare suppression.
More insights on the FL?
Just wondering, are you suggesting that the 'truncated exit pupils' are the only apparent reason for the viewing discomfort in the Ultravid 8x32?
What are your thoughts on the Noctivid in this regard?

When I inspect the Noctivid, they are appear to have heavier baffling and fewer false pupils than even the 8x32 Ultravid. Held up to light, the eyepiece is pitch black and the exit pupils are lovely and round. It almost appears as though Leica have inserted a pitch black disk somewhere into the eyepiece with an exit pupil aperture in the centre. I see no downside in viewing whatsoever. Perhaps this is the benefit of a fresh design slate....Leica are fixing issues upstream.
Here's hoping for an 8x32 Noctivid.

Last edited by Rathaus : Tuesday 1st August 2017 at 05:10.
Old Tuesday 1st August 2017, 10:45   #31
PHA

Hi Gijs,

By the way, I have the Meopta Meostar B 8x32. And not from the last versions. I compared, briefly, having read your evaluation on both, while in London past june, with a UVHD+ 8x32. I must say I liked a lot the Leica!! The colours are a little more, well, "natural", in the Leica. But not much, and on all other, I prefer my Meopta, being, as you said, more than U$ 1000 cheaper!! Great little binocular this M.M. 832!
Old Tuesday 1st August 2017, 14:54   #32
Hermann

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHA View Post
I prefer my Meopta, being, as you said, more than U$ 1000 cheaper!! Great little binocular this M.M. 832!
There's only one real problem with the Meoptas: The diopter adjustment range is only +/- 3 diopters.

And that's a killer as far as I'm concerned.

Hermann
Old Tuesday 1st August 2017, 19:37   #33
PHA

Hi Hermann,

Yes! Not for me but, I understand, can be for others.
Old Tuesday 1st August 2017, 20:17   #34
elkcub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermann View Post
There's only one real problem with the Meoptas: The diopter adjustment range is only +/- 3 diopters.

And that's a killer as far as I'm concerned.

Hermann
Mmmmm, I'm curious why you need so much diopter adjustment range, since one might infer from your previous posts that you don't use eyeglasses? Or, do you take your glasses off when using binoculars? If that's the case, I would guess that you're myopic?

In my case, ER < 17.5 is a deal breaker, but my eyeglasses eliminate the need for any diopter adjustment.

Ed

Last edited by elkcub : Tuesday 1st August 2017 at 20:21.

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 2nd August 2017, 17:53   #35
Hermann

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkcub View Post
Mmmmm, I'm curious why you need so much diopter adjustment range, since one might infer from your previous posts that you don't use eyeglasses? Or, do you take your glasses off when using binoculars? If that's the case, I would guess that you're myopic?
My eyes are quite different. I've got normal vision in one eye, and I'm at about -4 diopters in the other. It's actually a bit more complicated than that as there's also some astigmatism in the weak eye, so even with a wide enough diopter adjustment range I don't get a really sharp image on the weak eye, but I can live with the "semi-sharp" image I get.

The difference between my eyes is such that I can't use glasses because my brain can't cope with the differently sized images. (Anything about 2-3 diopters difference is usually considered "difficult" over here.) So I normally use a single contact lens. That works quite nicely no problem.

However, on some days I can't wear the contact lens for longer periods of time like a full day, especially in dry and hot climates or in (very) windy weather. No problems as long as I don't use binoculars, I simply "switch off" the weak eye. Doesn't work when I use binoculars, so that's when I need a wider diopter adjustment range.

Hermann
Old Sunday 3rd September 2017, 00:53   #36
Steve O4B
VP of Sales, Optics4Birding.com

For those who have eyecup issues (blackouts when eyecups are fully extended), Leica is aware of the problem. At least with the Noctivids, you can contact them and get longer eyecups. These eyecups will not be short enough for eyeglass wearers who need lots of eye relief.
Old Sunday 3rd September 2017, 14:02   #37
Sollas

Leica still have eyecup issues on their top end bins. This is a complete joke, something they should be embarrassed about.
Old Monday 4th September 2017, 16:18   #38
Dorian Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollas View Post
Leica still have eyecup issues on their top end bins. This is a complete joke, something they should be embarrassed about.
None of the brands have eyecups suitable for all users. For example, Nikon uses twist-up eyecups that have a big jump to the first step, ensuring I never have quite the right length when wearing glasses (the fully retracted position gives me blackouts from excessive eye relief; the first click slightly crops the field of view).
Old Monday 4th September 2017, 16:30   #39
Sollas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
None of the brands have eyecups suitable for all users. For example, Nikon uses twist-up eyecups that have a big jump to the first step, ensuring I never have quite the right length when wearing glasses (the fully retracted position gives me blackouts from excessive eye relief; the first click slightly crops the field of view).
This is true. I suppose I'm still lucky in that I only need glasses for reading. Must be a bit of a bind.

I really made the point because I heard a lot of people without glasses had issues with Leica bins and the eyecups which I kind of doubted until I tried them myself. Even the dealer agreed with me that quite a few people have the same issue and just can't get a decent view.

Thankfully Zeiss and Swaro have a nice wide, easy view with fully extended eyecups, no vignetting and full view.

I had to exclude Leica from my selection process because of this.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: