• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 18x50 IS design flaw? (1 Viewer)

KorHaan

Hi all,

I recently had an opportunity to try out the biggest of the Canons, the whopping 18x IS. I really must say first I had little confidence in its optical qualities beforehand, thinking the 18x magnification would compromise the other important factors like brightness, sharpness and FOV.
But to my surprise, I found the specimen I tried to be the best performing of all IS models I've tried before, including the 10x42 IS and 15x50 IS from Canon. Despite its 2.8 mm exit pupil the view was bright and quite sharp, and the stabilized view was more satisfying than on the lower mag models. It was an unbelievable and stunning experience to actually see fine details on Jackdaws on a lawn 200 meters away. Truth is, the FOV was not great, but still much better than I had anticipated.
The sheer "wow " factor of these things blew me off my socks, ideal for my kind of birding, sometimes out in the field leaving the scope at home I could carry these Canons as a booster whenever necessary.

I googled the 18x50 IS and read a lot of reviews. Most of them in high praise, so my confidence to purchase this model grew.

Then I read a less favourable review, to say the least; one owner had a bad experience with his specimen, concerning the build quality.
As he described, when he pulled them out of the bag one eyepiece broke off completely. The strap lugs on the 18x50 ( and 15x50 as well ) are placed ON THE EYEPIECE parts, not on the body of the binocular itself. The bag has no strap and the bino hangs on its strap in the bag. Apparently ( from what he described ) the eyepieces are attached to the body by three screws for every eyepiece, but two of the three screw sockets were broken after the incident. He sent them in for repair, which alledgedly cost him $350 even when the binoculars were 3 weeks in his possession and still under guarantee.
Understandably he was angry, but he warned all owners of 18x and 15x models to handle their bins with great care.
The term he used was "design flaw", but is he right?

When you look at these bulky binoculars, it is odd that the strap lugs are placed on the more vulnerable part i.e. the eyepieces. I'd like to think that Canon knows what they're doing making these heavy binoculars durable!

I'm a bit put off by this story, more so because I really saw myself owning these binoculars as a perfectly portable alternative for a scope.

Are there any owners of 18x50 IS and 15x50 IS Canons who have ever experienced problems of this kind?
Is it better to use the binoculars without a strap, say carrying them in a bag?
Or is there perhaps another method to carry them safely, without the threat of damaging them by putting too much strain on the strap?

Any suggestions are most welcome, because I think I need the 18x binoculars and may purchase them anyway, for the sheer joy they provide.

Thanks in advance,

Kind regards,

Ronald

Ronald,

I have had a 15x50 IS for about seven years, and given them some less than careful handling, including use on a sailboat. The eyepiece/prism housings with the strap lugs have never given any cause for concern, and have not even developed any play or slack anywhere. I have always carried it around my neck by the strap (not the original, but a better, Op-Tech-type neoprene strap from a Fujinon marine binocular).

I suspect that the pair that the unfavorable report describes had received a very substantial knock at some point before the fellow "pulled it out of the bag."

Also, if you decide to buy the 18x50, try to get the very pair you were impressed by.

Kimmo

Hi Kimmo,

Thank you for giving me some substantial peace of mind here. I am now less concerned about the build quality.

The only problem now left is the price. Your advice to get the very specimen I tried is very sound advice, but these particular bins will cost me 1650,- Euro's in the shop of our national bird trust. Even with a 10% discount on the base of my membership they will cost me 1485,- Euro's. I've seen them on sale for 988,- Euro's elsewhere, a company I ordered from before and trustworthy. The difference of almost 500 Euro's is quite substantial. Another minor thing is, the one pair I tried are demo models, and the fold back eyecups are slightly worn, with obvious cracks in the rubber.

Oh well, never a simple thing to choose. I think the ones I tried might be a cherry pair, I'll contemplate what to do for a while and get back to the forum when I've decided.

Thanks again, for the relief,

Best regards, Ronald

Truth is, the FOV was not great
The 18x50's have a 66.6° AFOV and that is a wider AFOV than most binoculars. My Canon 10x42L's tracks planes like a NASA Shuttle tracking camera and the 15x50's are much harder to keep within their correction angle of ±0.7° compared to the 10x42L's correction angle of +/- 0.8° so I prefer to use my 60-110mm binoculars mounted above 15x.

The 18x50's have a 66.6° AFOV and that is a wider AFOV than most binoculars. My Canon 10x42L's tracks planes like a NASA Shuttle tracking camera and the 15x50's are much harder to keep within their correction angle of ±0.7° compared to the 10x42L's correction angle of +/- 0.8° so I prefer to use my 60-110mm binoculars mounted above 15x.

Wow, what a load of figures here. I hope you don't mind me being ignorant of technical stuff, but the FOV on the 18x50 IS looked indeed very good for a high mag, in my own viewing experience.
Point is, when I'm standing in my garden most birds I pick up fly rather high. The garden is surrounded by trees, so I have to look high up in the sky.
I use 10x50 porro's which are fine but in some cases I feel I need more mag.
Usually I turn to the scope on my tripod, with 23x, but it is quite hard to track birds flying high up in the sky. I could buy a taller tripod, but the Canon would be much easier for this purpose. Besides, to have to turn to a scope on a tripod when I've traced a raptor high up with my bins, is something I'm not good at. Lost a possible Black Kite in the few seconds it took me to run to the scope and point it. It was gone because I left it out of my sight for a few moments. With high mag bins you're spot on to a bird and never loose track. :t:
My garden list is 108 at the moment, but I still need that Black Stork, or a Griffon Vulture would be a nice one as well...

Best regards, Ronald

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back