• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camera for digiscoping (1 Viewer)

jkjkmore

I recently bought my wife and son a fieldscope Nikon ED50. We use the fieldscope for birding and find it lightweight and easy to transport while hiking and backpacking.
They are interested in starting to digiscope. My son has a Nikon d3000 camera and is not compatible with our fieldscope. Nikon suggests a coolpix camera for digiscoping.
Does anyone have experience with this camera? Any suggestions for a specific model?
Thanks in advance for any help this forum can offer.

I recently bought my wife and son a fieldscope Nikon ED50. We use the fieldscope for birding and find it lightweight and easy to transport while hiking and backpacking.
They are interested in starting to digiscope. My son has a Nikon d3000 camera and is not compatible with our fieldscope. Nikon suggests a coolpix camera for digiscoping.
Does anyone have experience with this camera? Any suggestions for a specific model?
Thanks in advance for any help this forum can offer.

I am using a Nikon Coolpix P300 with my ED82 & 30x Digiscoping Eyepiece. You will need to get the FSB-8 adaptor to mount the camera onto the 30x eyepiece. You cannot do digiscoping with the Nikon MC zoom eyepiece.

You can check out my flickr account on the results http://www.flickr.com/photos/53435640@N05/.

Price of the P300 should be coming down with the releasing of the P310. But if the price differences not too big, might as well get the P310 where the ISO can be set to 100 (160 for P300).

The P310 has the advantage in that one can program the zoom setting at start-up, meaning that the camera will zoom into the desired focal length when switched on. Will be great as the extreme wide 28mm end of the P300 or P310 is liable to cause vignetting even when used with a DS eyepiece.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back