• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2013 (1 Viewer)

stereotruckdriver

I resolve to only buy one binocular this year!!!??? Hmmm, maybe Zeiss Conquest 8x32 or HT's 8x32 if they come to market??? Will see??? Bryce...

I resolve to only buy one binocular this year!!!??? Hmmm, maybe Zeiss Conquest 8x32 or HT's 8x32 if they come to market??? Will see??? Bryce...
I resolve to buy no more than 12 new binoculars this year. Only 1 per month. This month will be the Docter 8x21 7.5 degree WA compact. Look for a review comparing it to the Leica 8x20 Leica Trinovid. I am going to start a "Binocular of the Month Test" where I will test the binocular I purchased that month compared to what I have. It is going to be exciting.

Last edited:
I find myself in a strange place coming into 2013. Somehow my binocular needs have reached, should I dare say, satiation. How long this will last is anybodys guess, but with the addition of the Cabela's Euro HD 10x42 to my line up about 1 1/2 months ago I have no wants for any other binoculars. The other two rounding out the line up being the 7x42 FL's and 8x30 EII's. So my resolution is to keep these three and sell off most of my other bins and spend my money on upgrading my camera gear. Happy New Year everyone!

2012 has been a bin-fest for me too.

My Zeiss FL 8x42 has been joined by an FL 8x32 a Victory 8x20 Compact and, most infamously (since so many folks are sadly still waiting for theirs) an HT 8x42.

Never mentioned on this site has been the replacement of my 8x12 Zeiss Mono as it got fed up of being laid on, sat on and stood on and broke in two after 15 years of abuse.

This year will see no optics additions as finances are being stretched to accomodate 3 weeks in France and 3 on North Uist in the Scottish Western Isles.

I hope everyone gets their optics 'wish' in the New Year and wish all contributors to BF, without exception, a happy and healthy one.

Lee

You just got an alpha on Dec. 31 (7x42 FL), and you are already thinking about buying your next one?! You're the sports optics equivalent of a chain smoker. :smoke:

I think it's time to call Binocoholics Anonymous. I think there's a chapter in Eugene.

"Will see" is one of those homophone gaffs like I made with elude/allude, but "will," as in "will power," is appropriate for making resolutions!

Now it wouldn't be so bad if you had a "sell a bin to buy a bin" policy but from what I gather, you have never sold a bin in your life and have a collection that rivals Simon's in number, but with much newer and more expensive bins.

I think you should first resolve to build a bigger closet to house your ever growing collection. ;)

<B>

I am looking for 8x32but fear that anything less than a HT would not meet my vision criteria.Roll on the HT 8x32 maybe this year.Happy New Year to all Eddy.

In stark contrast to 2012, I will try to refrain from buying any binocular this year and the next. If I find a Fieldscope 20x/30x/38x Wide MC eyepiece at the right price, I might not be able to fight the temptation.
Somewhere in the future, an EDG II 7x42 will be mine, though I can't see that happen before 2015. But I have been mistaken before.

2012 has been a bin-fest for me too.

My Zeiss FL 8x42 has been joined by an FL 8x32 a Victory 8x20 Compact and, most infamously (since so many folks are sadly still waiting for theirs) an HT 8x42.

Never mentioned on this site has been the replacement of my 8x12 Zeiss Mono as it got fed up of being laid on, sat on and stood on and broke in two after 15 years of abuse.

This year will see no optics additions as finances are being stretched to accomodate 3 weeks in France and 3 on North Uist in the Scottish Western Isles.

I hope everyone gets their optics 'wish' in the New Year and wish all contributors to BF, without exception, a happy and healthy one.

Lee

Lee, 6 weeks of holiday sounds fantastic hehehe; I am having almost 2 months this year maybe more, 1 month in Thailand and Malaysia and another month in Germany,Austria, Italy . Hope you have fun on your holidays.

You just got an alpha on Dec. 31 (7x42 FL), and you are already thinking about buying your next one?! You're the sports optics equivalent of a chain smoker. :smoke:

I think it's time to call Binocoholics Anonymous. I think there's a chapter in Eugene.

"Will see" is one of those homophone gaffs like I made with elude/allude, but "will," as in "will power," is appropriate for making resolutions!

Now it wouldn't be so bad if you had a "sell a bin to buy a bin" policy but from what I gather, you have never sold a bin in your life and have a collection that rivals Simon's in number, but with much newer and more expensive bins.

I think you should first resolve to build a bigger closet to house your ever growing collection. ;) Sir Brock, you have me mistaken for another! My two latest are an 8x30 SLC neu and Frank D's beloved 7x50 Vixens! And truth be told I sold just about every binocular I had a couple years ago to off set my two brain surgeries! Currently own 3 Swaro's 8x32, 8x30, 7x42, 1 8x32 se, 3 vintage Pentax porro's a 15x70 porro! One Swarovski 65mm HD and a Vortex Viper 65mm HD in route! At one time I did have a very large collection but, those days are long gone! Bryce...

I think that this would be the place for a Binocoholics Anonymous forum

we can meet, express and get support for our resolve
and the dealers can come and tempt us with big discounts

edj

I think you should first resolve to build a bigger closet to house your ever growing collection. ;)

Sir Brock, you have me mistaken for another! My two latest are an 8x30 SLC neu and Frank D's beloved 7x50 Vixens! And truth be told I sold just about every binocular I had a couple years ago to off set my two brain surgeries! Currently own 3 Swaro's 8x32, 8x30, 7x42, 1 8x32 se, 3 vintage Pentax porro's a 15x70 porro! One Swarovski 65mm HD and a Vortex Viper 65mm HD in route! At one time I did have a very large collection but, those days are long gone! Bryce...

Yes, I remember that you said you sold mos of them to pay for medical expenses, but I didn't realize or remember you had two brain salad surgeries! My gawd, man, are you okay now? Out of the woods? I hope so! That must have been awful. I had a shoulder joint replacement, and I had to make a similar sacrifice of optics (scopes and bins) to pay for what was not covered by insurance and to pay my bills during my long rehab while I was out of work. I even lost my job because of being out of work for so long, and I was making $20/hr plus benefits. That hurt worse than the surgery, and what they did was probably illegal since I had a 5-year contract and still had over a year left, but I couldn't afford to sue the company since all the pig's feet jars were empty by he time I was able to resume work.

Anyway, it's sounds like you need to make another resolution for spotting scopes. ;)

Enjoy! And keep on truckin'

Brock

I was going to get a pair of clearance Zeiss 7x42 T FL, but I think I'm going to stick with my Zen Rays for a while. It's kind of a choice between new binoculars, and a new kitchen.

May purchase an Opticron HR WP10x42 this month, going to try them again up at Cley Spy, in this humble Birders opinion nothing else I`v tried looks as "clean", (at any price !!).

I have no plans to buy any new bins this year. Holding on to what I have will be challenge enough. I might "accessorize" with some of them. Already started at Christmas with Microsoft neoprene straps, thanks to Santa's elf, mooreorless. Thanks, Steve!

I'd like to buy Bushwackers for the 8x30 EII. I took off the ones I had on it and put them under the ends of the dewshields on the 8x32 SE to strengthen the "artificial limbs," which were too flexible. The 10x35 EII also needs Bushwackers to protect the bare metal objective housings.

I'd also like to replace those large, clanky, one-piece rainguards on the SEs with smaller, lighter two-cup rainguards like Nikon makes for the Actions and Premiers.

My bin money is going out the door this winter since I'm putting out extra seeds, suet and peanuts to feed the birds and varmints in my neighborhood during this cold and snowy weather.

<B>

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back