• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Goa 2013 (1 Viewer)

Jeanie

Jeanie with one n.
Nearly packed for our Goa trip, roll on Tuesday. Seven weeks in an apartment and then a two week bird watching trip in Gujarat.
Will post any bird watching news re Goa on here and hopefully anyone else going this year will do the same.

Nearly packed for our Goa trip, roll on Tuesday. Seven weeks in an apartment and then a two week bird watching trip in Gujarat.
Will post any bird watching news re Goa on here and hopefully anyone else going this year will do the same.

I will be heading that way in early Feb, will keep any eye out for the hat!!

Paul

I will be heading that way in early Feb, will keep any eye out for the hat!!

Paul

I am heading that way in late Feb and have a similar hat. This will be my first trip to Goa (going from there to Sri Lanka) and am hoping someone can provide advice on the best field guide to buy. There is one called "Birds of Southern India" but this has mixed reviews - is this the only real option?

Cheers
John

Hi John
I am also in Goa in February for my 3RD time,its brilliant , an excellent field guide, is Birds of the Indian Subcontinent , by Inskipp,Grimmett and Inskipp
JohnD

Hi John
I am also in Goa in February for my 3RD time,its brilliant , an excellent field guide, is Birds of the Indian Subcontinent , by Inskipp,Grimmett and Inskipp
JohnD

Thanks for that John. Am looking forward greatly to the trip. Have 9 nights in Goa, 4 based in Baga, 2 at The Hermitage (not quite Goa) ans 3 at Backwoods. Then off to Sri Lanka for 2 weeks. Will be nice getting away from this weather.

Cheers
John

Breaking news- Painted Storks in Siolem, over a hundred, only the second time in Goa apparently, and Bearded Blue Eaters showing well at Mayem Lake and Bondla.

Breaking news- Painted Storks in Siolem, over a hundred, only the second time in Goa apparently, and Bearded Blue Eaters showing well at Mayem Lake and Bondla.

Painted Storks are semi-regular in Goa, depending on dispersal from northern India and conditions following the monsoon. Very occasionally there have been larger numbers (I remember seeing a good few at Ciba Geigy wetlands in Feb '98). One was around Chorao/Divar in November 2012, so presumably more must have followed on. Nice birds!

Not sure how long it stayed, but the Sunbird tour group had a Franklin's Gull at Morjim in November - the first for the Indian Subcontinent!

Mark

We are renting an apartment at the lovely named Villa Vera next to the Marinha Dourada. Balcony list so far: White bellied Sea Eagle, Greenish Warbler, Small Minivet, White fronted KF.,Open billed Stork so doing quite well. Went to Arpora forest this a.m. The path by the Club Cabana is being used as a toilet so not a place to wear sandles though it may bring the pitta in.

I am heading that way in late Feb and have a similar hat. This will be my first trip to Goa (going from there to Sri Lanka) and am hoping someone can provide advice on the best field guide to buy. There is one called "Birds of Southern India" but this has mixed reviews - is this the only real option?

Cheers
John

Hi John

Not been on here for a few days but would agree with John D about the book. Used it in N India last year and very good. I also used the SE Asia book by Craig Robson but that was probably doesn't cover much of the stuff in Goa.

I will look out for the hat!!

Paul

Hi John,
You may see my hat bobbing past since our footpath takes us past the front of the MD.Between the lake and the hotel.
If you are in need of a guide then I would recommend Rayman 9922271840.
Went up and along Baga Hill today. Lots of very plain looking Prinias about which apparently are Grey Breasted. Life is a mystery to me.

Hi John,
You may see my hat bobbing past since our footpath takes us past the front of the MD.Between the lake and the hotel.
If you are in need of a guide then I would recommend Rayman 9922271840.
Went up and along Baga Hill today. Lots of very plain looking Prinias about which apparently are Grey Breasted. Life is a mystery to me.

Thanks for the recommendation, Jeanie. I already have (I hope) a guide booked for 2 days - Santosh who also has a good recommendation - 1 day general birding in the area and 1 day Zuari river trip. If anything goes wrong with my booking, I'll try Rayman.

I'm going to start a new hobby - Jeanie spotting - might be more difficult than birding. I'll shout from my balcony when I spot one.:eek!:

Cheers John

Have just written a long post re Mayem Lake and the lap top shifted and all is lost.
So here goes again. Birds seen were Changeable Hawk Eagles, Orange Breasted Pigeons, Various Drongos, Scarlet Minivet, Nilgiri Blackbirds, Spider hunter, Blyths Reed and Booted Warblers, various Bee-eaters but not the BB, Paradise and Tickells Blue Flycatchers, Indian Nightjar, Jerdons Leaf Birds and many other common birds. We then went to Siolim and had great views of the Painted Storks, Black Ibis, River Terns and Open Billed Storks.

The Jeanie is a skulking little grey job, beware of imitators wearing Tilly hats.
Our Goa trip ends on the 27th Feb when we go to Gujarat for 12 nights birding.

Pitta info:
Apparently if you go to Nicks place, along the road from the Marinha Dourada and go to the terrace, table 27, at 11 am you will see it under a bush.
Have not checked this out ourselves yet.

Bondla:
Went this morning with Raymon.
Saw Blue Capped Rock Thrush, Orange Headed Thrush, Sharma, Western Crowned Warbler, Black Napped Oriel, Crested Serpent Eagle on a tree, Juv Shrika that we tried to turn into a Besra, Black Napped Monarch and various other stuff.
Others saw the Blue Bearded Bee Eater and Trogon.
Next week we are going to spend 4 nights in Patnum near Cotagio which is the best place to bird in Goa but rarely visited.

More Pitta news:
We were walking through Aprora village on the main road towards Baga. We were heading for the road that cuts across to middle Baga.
Just before the narrow bridge there is a restaurant called Crazy Crabs on the left hand side. On the right hand side of the road it has a large sign advertising it.
To the right of the sign is a field which is somewhat lower than the road. There are a bank of bushes which divide this field from another. A Pitta hopped along under these bushes away from us and then flew through a gap into the next field.
The next field is full of undergrowth so we did not see it there.
This was about 10 a.m.

More Pitta news:
We were walking through Aprora village on the main road towards Baga. We were heading for the road that cuts across to middle Baga.
Just before the narrow bridge there is a restaurant called Crazy Crabs on the left hand side. On the right hand side of the road it has a large sign advertising it.
To the right of the sign is a field which is somewhat lower than the road. There are a bank of bushes which divide this field from another. A Pitta hopped along under these bushes away from us and then flew through a gap into the next field.
The next field is full of undergrowth so we did not see it there.
This was about 10 a.m.

Thanks for the updates Jeanie, 2 weeks to go now, looking forward to it

Where are you going to stay, Paul? There is a lot of long grass about so if you like going to Baga fields bring some strong shoes, quite a few snakes about.

Where are you going to stay, Paul? There is a lot of long grass about so if you like going to Baga fields bring some strong shoes, quite a few snakes about.

Next door to you in the Marinha Dourada, arriving sometime on the 10th. Not sure I will be telling my wife about the snakes!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back