• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this "CA"? (1 Viewer)

Sancho

Europe
I´ve never noticed "CA" before, and am not sure what it is. I took the kids to the beach today, and brought a pair of premium bins "just in case". While looking at the horizon, against a bright sky, I noticed there was no "fringing" if the horizon was centred in the viewing "circle". But if I tilted the bins downwards, so that the horizon was in the upper fifth section of the circle, there was a pinkish-purplish fringe along the skyward side of the horizon. If I tilted the bins upwards, so that the horizon was in the bottom two-fifths of the circle, there was a bluish-green fringe to it. I then tried the same trick with flying cormorants, and found, amazingly enough, the following: with the cormorant centred, no fringe. With the cormorant in the upper fifth, a purplish fringe on the underside of the bird. With the cormorant in the lower two-fifths, a greenish fringe on the upperside of the bird. None of this bothers me, but I´m curious to know what it is. Needless to say, I didn´t see any amazing birds, otherwise I wouldn´t have been playing "find-the-fringe" with my binoculars. But is that "CA", or is it something else? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Sancho,

What you noticed is lateral chromatic aberration. I'm convinced that when people complain about "CA" in binoculars that's the form of chromatic aberration they are always talking about. The other form, longitudinal chromatic aberration, is essentially invisible as a color fringe at the low magnification of binoculars. Lateral CA should be absent from the center and grow more pronounced toward the field edge, but I've found that it becomes visible quite close to the center in some binoculars and is sometimes even visible directly on axis if your pupil is slightly decentered. Oddly enough, I think it is a far bigger problem in expensive binoculars with complex objectives and internal focusing lenses than it is in cheap simple Porros.

Henry

Sincerest thanks for that, Henry...now I can speak knowledgeably about "Lateral CA"! ;) Next time I go to the beach I´ll bring porros too just to compare. Have a great week!

So...what makes one "sensitive" to CA?
I have 20/10 vision, and have yet to witness CA when actually using any optic.
Where I do see it is when I take pictures through binos or spotting scope with my digital camera. Not evident all the time, but when it is, it's usually only obvious when the picture is zoomed in on, or the camera had a good bit of zoom used when it was taken. In some instances it has been very obvious even when there was little or no zoom. Sometimes I wonder if the image is just out of focus a bit, while other times there is a very obvious band of contrasting color.
I suppose I should just be glad that I don't see it, but it seems strange not to see something that is there while having "perfect" vision, and I wonder why.

Hello OwenM;

I am going to post this because I would like Henry’s opinion and think he will be responding.

The other night, while doing another experiment, I got the idea that some people have quiet a bit stronger ability to merge images than others. This came about when looking at a star and someone else could see a double image but I could not. It turned out the collimation of his porro’s were out of tolerance by a good bit. I think collimation, or incomplete merging of the images, could cause CA. It may be a similar situation to being out of focus.

CA is at its most obvious when the IPD is off and/or focus is off. I am so used to focusing and looking through 30x instruments that at regular bino powers I probably would not notice CA even if others considered it to be terrible. I have a very good focusing technique so usually no problems there.

I am not particularly adept at IPD setting however. If I am testing optics, or going to use them for more than a few minutes, I set the IPD with a gauge of some sort.

My eyesight is not the best, about 20/25 with 0.25/0.5d of astigmatism and I do not wear glasses but I almost never see CA, but then, I do not go out of my way looking for it.

All that being said, I am not sure whether some are just susceptible to CA and others immune, or if a good technique may help reduce the effects.

Just some of my thoughts.

Best,
Ron

I think collimation, or incomplete merging of the images, could cause CA. It may be a similar situation to being out of focus.

CA is at its most obvious when the IPD is off and/or focus is off.
All that being said, I am not sure whether some are just susceptible to CA and others immune, or if a good technique may help reduce the effects.
I had wondered if it had something to do with focus, or perhaps reaching the limit of a given binocular's resolution(for instance, does ED glass increase resolution by minimizing CA, or decrease CA by maximizing resolution, or...?), but was just speculating, as I have no knowledge of the subject on which to base any real theory.

Seeing lateral CA is not a matter of visual acuity, it is a matter of eye/brain processing that is itself highly affected by one's mental awareness. When I look for it, I see lateral CA very easily, even without binoculars (just wearing my eyeglasses, which are glass and multicoated by the way, not one of the plastic types that are known to produce abundant CA). When I don't look for it, I tune out most CA except in high color/brightness contrast situations. Low CA definitely improves the ability to see details at the limits of one's visual acuity.

--AP

Hello OwenM;

...I think collimation, or incomplete merging of the images, could cause CA. It may be a similar situation to being out of focus.

CA is an optical phenomenon (i.e., an aberration), whereas image "merging" is a psychological phenomenon done by the brain. The optics, in this case, include both the binoculars and the optics of the eye (exclusive of the retina) operating together as a coherently coupled system. It is known that the eye focuses at an intermediate frequency that minimizes defocus on either side; hence, a smaller axial chromatic spread will minimize blur and increase perceived sharpness. Note, however, that axial CA is a primary cue for visual accommodation, so it also serves an important purpose.

CA is at its most obvious when the IPD is off and/or focus is off. I am so used to focusing and looking through 30x instruments that at regular bino powers I probably would not notice CA even if others considered it to be terrible. I have a very good focusing technique so usually no problems there.

These are two different circumstances. When the IPD is set incorrectly the optical axes of the instrument and the eye are not aligned, leading to very complex aberration phenomena, including higher order CA. Assuming correct alignment, however, defocus within the chromatic range will effect clarity and measured resolution. Ironically, eliminating transverse CA may actually reduce grating acuity because "... The presence of color fringing my betray the presence of a gap between two bars even if the overall intensity modulation may be flat below the detectability threshold." (Mouroulis, pg. 173). So, even objective definitions such as "resolution" become problematic when the biological element is taken into account.

I am not particularly adept at IPD setting however. If I am testing optics, or going to use them for more than a few minutes, I set the IPD with a gauge of some sort.

My eyesight is not the best, about 20/25 with 0.25/0.5d of astigmatism and I do not wear glasses but I almost never see CA, but then, I do not go out of my way looking for it.

I find that a scale is necessary as well. Looking for CA invariably involves viewing off-axis, often at a large angle, whether or not birding tasks place such a demand on use of the instrument. So, I think the prudent approach is to take issue with the design only when color fringing actually interferes with appreciating the objects of attention.

The individual variables are so numerous, such as IPD setting, eyeglass correction, instrument collimation, eye movement strategy, selective attention, etc. that I judge it to be near impossible to determine whether or not some people really are more "susceptible" or sensitive than others to CA. Although it is often claimed, as a scientific matter it would be very hard to verify.

Ed
PS. My motivation for mentioning most of the above is to point out that: (a) the retinal image is a joint function of the optics of the instrument and the eye, and (b) the behavior of the eye is a function of the retinal image. The perception of CA is, on the one hand, the conscious experience of color fringing, but, on the other hand, it is also the unconscious effect on visual performance. To my knowledge, optimization criteria are not easily established, since these two effects are somewhat at odds with one another.

Last edited:
When I look for it, I see lateral CA very easily, even without binoculars (just wearing my eyeglasses, which are glass and multicoated by the way, not one of the plastic types that are known to produce abundant CA).

--AP

Very interesting. My glasses are plastic and almost every binocular I've ever used have CA. My current binoculars are the Minox HG 8.5 x 43.
The CA is less noticeable than with previous bins but its there in certain situations.

Are my plastic glasses lenses making it more noticeable and would I notice an improvement if I get glass lenses in my glasses when I buy a new pair?
I've never worn contact lenses either. Would these improve matters? Or are they similar to plastic glasses lenses in the amount of CA they produce?

Apologies if this is a stupid question.
I've only just now heard of this phenomenon of plastic glasses lenses producing lots of CA and was wondering what experiences others have had.

Tom

Last edited:
Are my plastic glasses lenses making it more noticeable and would I notice an improvement if I get glass lenses in my glasses when I buy a new pair?
I've never worn contact lenses either. Would these improve matters? Or are they similar to plastic glasses lenses in the amount of CA they produce?

Sorry, but I don't know the answers to your questions, I just know that CA increases with refractive index and that it is more a problem with polycarbonate and ultra high index ("thin lens") plastic lenses than glass. That said, I use glass for its scratch resistance, not because of CA issues.

--AP

I have 20/10 vision, and have yet to witness CA when actually using any optic.
Started using a 12.5x binocular today, as opposed to the 7 and 8x that I'm accustomed to, and am indeed witnessing CA in use. It's not bad, but it's definitely there when the conditions are right. Distant treeline against the sky has a slight yellowish fringe, though it's hard to determine if it's CA or heat mirage. An American Bluebird on a powerline with a very bright backdrop, however, showed remarkable detail along with a tiny halo of blue extending from the top of its head.
While this doesn't really bother me, or affect the quality of the view, it does give me a greater appreciation for the explanations given here since it instantly became "more real" to me when seeing it firsthand.
Thanks.

Sorry, but I don't know the answers to your questions, I just know that CA increases with refractive index and that it is more a problem with polycarbonate and ultra high index ("thin lens") plastic lenses than glass. That said, I use glass for its scratch resistance, not because of CA issues.

--AP

Thanks for the reply,
You've given me something to think about when I'm choosing new glasses in any case.
Tom

Seeing lateral CA is not a matter of visual acuity, it is a matter of eye/brain processing that is itself highly affected by one's mental awareness.
Curious about this. I work a lot of double shifts. Last night I did work 12hrs., but still felt fresh when I got home this morning. I got out the same binoculars that I witnessed CA with on a rooftop, telephone pole, and bird's head the other day, and was unable to see any CA at all, regardless of how I tried.
I immediately wondered if atmospheric conditions might have an effect on seeing CA, but rereading this thread, the quoted segment of your reply struck home to me, since previously I'd been up for a couple of days with only ~3hrs. sleep.
This also goes back to Surveyor's comment about different individuals having "a stronger ability to merge images".
Would this mean that fatigue or eyestrain are a factor?

I use the target shown below to evaluate lateral color in binoculars. The target is designed to make lateral color as visible as possible by using bright white bars contrasting with black spaces, and to provide a scale that indicates off axis distance in precise increments for comparison purposes. The small cross is centered in the binocular field at a distance that makes the separation between each white bar equal to about 2 degrees of apparent field. In sunlight the center cross is usually color free (if my pupil is perfectly centered) but lateral color becomes quite obvious at the top and bottom edges of the white bars as I look off axis along the target (using one eye only). When it comes to evaluating lateral CA I think it's essential to use the same target under identical lighting conditions every time for any hope of a consistent result. The condition of my eye and brain doesn't seem to matter as long as the target remains constant.

Attachments

• DSC_0927.jpg
    DSC_0927.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Thanks Henry for the great post! I have learned a lot by reading many of your posts (as well as those of Ron, Ed, AP, and all) on the various threads. I'm going to make a 'test pole' similar to the one shown in the picture. It will be great to be able to test the CA in my bins more objectively.

Also, thanks Sancho for posting the OP. I thought that I understood CA, but I now realize how complex CA really is...and how there can be more variables effecting CA than I had previously thought. I wear 'plastic' eye-glasses, and I'm going to test for CA with and without them to see how the results differ.

Great thread, all. Best wishes to all.

Ron Davidson

Just out of interest, is there some way for me to understand why the binos produce purplish-tinted CA on the horizon at the top of the field, but bluish-green CA on the horizon at the bottom of the field? It has to be a simple explanation though, because my Brain fills up very quickly.;)

Hi Sancho;

A guess. Attached is a spectrum typical of white light with the blue violets at the short wavelength side. When a spectrum presents, it usually has the short wavelengths closer to the straight line between light source (in air) and detector. The greater the bending the more towards red you go. In your example I would assume the sun was towards the top of the FOV.

The blues will be on one side and move towards red on the other depending on how the how the angle is applied and type of medium.

There is also absorbative refractions that modify this relationship, such as prism and glass. If either the refractive-index variation or the coefficient-of-absorption variation is known for all wavelengths, then the other one can be calculated by using the "Kramers-Kronig dispersion relationships."

Anyway, when looking through a spectroscope with a diffraction grating, the blues will be closest to the slit on either side of the slit.

Hope this helps. Have a great day.

Ron

Attachments

• Sancho.jpg
    Sancho.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back