• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

my new Minox (1 Viewer)

marcus

These will be good I hope. I just went to Eagle Optics and sent away for a new Minox, one of the least expensive ones, $259.99. It will be good
o:D though, won't it?

They should be. Minox is a good brand. Anyway, Eagle is one of the best companies to deal with if you have a problem with the binoculars.

BTW, which ones did you get?
Bob

I took delivery of a new pair of BL 8x32 yesterday having never heard of Minox before. It is difficult to explain how astonished I am at the clarity of the image through these glasses. I have used many high end rifle scopes and appreciate expensive optics but the popping I read about prior to buying them is completely true. Yes I expect there are better but the sheer value of these things can't be overlooked.

I took delivery of a new pair of BL 8x32 yesterday having never heard of Minox before. It is difficult to explain how astonished I am at the clarity of the image through these glasses. I have used many high end rifle scopes and appreciate expensive optics but the popping I read about prior to buying them is completely true. Yes I expect there are better but the sheer value of these things can't be overlooked.

I have always thought most of the Minox binoculars to be real sleepers - generally little noticed and woefully underrated. The HG series models are invisible in U.S. birding circles but, especially the neat and very handy 8 x 33 HG, offer stunning performance for the money.

They should be. Minox is a good brand. Anyway, Eagle is one of the best companies to deal with if you have a problem with the binoculars.

BTW, which ones did you get?
Bob

I've got to look up their name again? I forgot. BV BR, or somethin' They are cancelled and Eagle Optic's last green one's are on sale.

Did You ever get the Minox BV BR ,or something?

I bought a pair of the BF 10x42 (same as the bv only black) and they are a steal at what they go for.Very sharp at the sweet spot,and brighter than anything I've looked at,at this price point.Brought them into the store to compare against the Monarchs,and they were better.At 1/2 the price of the monarchs,they are a best buy.

I bought a pair of the BF 10x42 (same as the bv only black) and they are a steal at what they go for.Very sharp at the sweet spot,and brighter than anything I've looked at,at this price point.Brought them into the store to compare against the Monarchs,and they were better.At 1/2 the price of the monarchs,they are a best buy.

Problem with Minox is that the nomenclature is sooo confusing!...I am interested in the BL8x32 or the BV 8x42,,I had the BD8x32 ASPH,but didnt like them,still want to try other model...

Problem with Minox is that the nomenclature is sooo confusing!...I am interested in the BL8x32 or the BV 8x42,,I had the BD8x32 ASPH,but didnt like them,still want to try other model...

Don't know if this is against forum rules (if it is I will edit) Cameraland has the BV 8X42 Color Blemish Special Price: $159.99 From what I gather it is very hard to locate a blemish...

For your information, the BV is the "Value" line, it does not compare to the BD or BR models. As you probably know, you get what you pay for. Some of the differences would be in prism coatings, and
other coatings. I hope you enjoy them.

Last edited:
For your information, the BV is the "Value" line, it does not compare to the BD or BR models. As you probably know, you get what you pay for. Some of the differences would be in prism coatings, and
other coatings. I hope you enjoy them.

They are all BR..( Roof Prism)..besides the APO HG and the HG, they have the BD,the BL and the BV..I owned the BD,and disliked them for different reasons,GLARE being annoying and the smell of the armour irritating...But..I am tempted to get a pair of the BV at that price( I saw the offer a couple days ago)...I have actually read a bunch of good reviews about the BV..
Have you compared them NDhunter?..sometimes cheaper is not necessary worst,specially If there are a newer model(Aren't the BD discontinued?).Nowaday Production costs are lower and lower(lets not get into the socio -politic reasons)and some aspect of production quality ,have been improved recently(coatings)Also a BIG difference, besides those coatings(that probably are not that different),Is country of Origin...the BD was Japanese,..The BL almost for sure chinese and I am inclined to say that the BV are chinese too...That is probably the reason price is going down,TO COMPETE!

Last edited:
Here's a review that's got it down,
http://www.thearizonahunter.com/CMS/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=59:minoxbf10x42br-&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=50

Those $399 8x33 HG's are seriously tempting. Can someone comment on the eyerelief? I wear glasses and I wonder if 15mm, and fairly deep eyecups (judging from internet appearances) might be cutting it close. How have others faired?

Mark

My dad looked through my HG 8x33s earlier today, and they worked great for him while wearing glasses. The multi position eyecups are nice.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back