• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Old HG vs new HG? (1 Viewer)

Bosque

I'm looking at the 8x33 (maybe the bigger ones also), and I'm seeing some great deals on the last generation of HGs out there. Does anyone know what the differences are, and has looked through both?

For additional frustration, how would you feel they compare to Kowa BD 8x32s and the Swarovski SLC 8x30s (I'm fairly sure these will win, but hey just for fun)?

Old Made in Japan vs. New Made in Germany. I have never seen the HGs, but the BD10x44 I bought a few months ago is very nice. Wide sweet spot but can show a little CA on bright days.

I also have the Kowa BD8x32 which is probably my SHARPEST bino with noticeable focus snap. No "zone of confusion" with that one. Downside is that only applies to its relatively small on-axis sweet spot.

I only look at Euro "alphas" in the stores. Unless I can get one for under $500 they will never seriously tempt me. I almost lost my mind over the new Swarovision but thankfully I received my Bushnell 8x42 Legend Ultra HD the same week of the Swaro debut. Definitly "alpha" class optics for only $200!

Rick

Kevin, the exit pupils show no issues and I have not noticed anything annoying during daytime (but I tend to avoid pointing in the direction of the Sun!) while I have not done any nightsky testing.

I will be going to Hokkaido to see Stellars Sea/Whitetailed Eagles and Red Crowned Cranes this weekend and weather looks to be sunny so I will expect to have some snowfield glare to deal with.

I'm looking at the 8x33 (maybe the bigger ones also), and I'm seeing some great deals on the last generation of HGs out there. Does anyone know what the differences are, and has looked through both?

I think the FOV of all the HG's was increased, especially the full-sized 8x and 10x. As I recall, eye relief was also increased. You should be able to find specs on both old and new HG's somewhere.

Kevin, the exit pupils show no issues and I have not noticed anything annoying during daytime (but I tend to avoid pointing in the direction of the Sun!) while I have not done any nightsky testing.

I will be going to Hokkaido to see Stellars Sea/Whitetailed Eagles and Red Crowned Cranes this weekend and weather looks to be sunny so I will expect to have some snowfield glare to deal with.

Thanks, Rick.

That should be fun (and unmissable!). Let me know what you think after the snow views.

Ah yes, I see now that the FOV was increased, a LOT (from 394' to 443'). Oh well, not $900 more worth of FOV. We'll see how I like the old model when they get here in a week...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back