• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question from a novice. (1 Viewer)

LSB

Me
United Kingdom
Having packed my trap away for the winter, can anyone tell me the best month to start trapping again?
Cheers
Lsb

A quick glance and I have 6 species at my trap tonight so far.

Why did you pack it away?

A tongue in cheek answer to your question is...... Spring

Cheers Angus
I packed it away as I wasn't catching anything as we had high winds at the time and being a novice it got me disillusioned. I know springs the best time to start but I was hoping for a particular month.. ;) ;) ;)

LSB said:
Cheers Angus
I packed it away as I wasn't catching anything as we had high winds at the time and being a novice it got me disillusioned. I know springs the best time to start but I was hoping for a particular month.. ;) ;) ;)
If you are urban then possibly wait till March, but if rural, anytime it's mild.

I usually record about 15 species in February and about 40 in March. All but about 3 of the species in Feb I record in March

HTH

Hi,

I am down in Teesside and unless you are in the country on the edge of a nice wood I would start trapping again early March (probably the first reasonable looking night). My mid-March you should be getting a few moths again. My traps will be turned on again at this time. You will still get a few blank nights on the colder moonlit nights but nothing like when you trap over winter which I did for 2-3 years and sometimes got upto 2 weeks with 2 traps running each nights without a single moth

Regards,
Jamie

Thanks Guys
I'm in an urban setting so March it is then. Watch this space for ID as Im still very new to Mothing and UK Moths can be a hard site to work through. My list is a mere 22 Moths so that's how new I am (only another 2000+ to go)
Thanks for the help
:clap:

LSB said:
Thanks Guys
I'm in an urban setting so March it is then. Watch this space for ID as Im still very new to Mothing and UK Moths can be a hard site to work through. My list is a mere 22 Moths so that's how new I am (only another 2000+ to go)

I would generally agree with the above, although as Angus says it might be worthwhile having a go on mild, still nights before then. Be prepared to not catch anything even then though! I generally start trapping consistently (two or three times a week) from mid February, but am prepared for nil returns to be the norm!

PS Don't just depend on ukmoths... see the sticky on this forum which shows the multitude of websites that are out there to help with ID.

Last edited:
MikeWall said:
I would generally agree with the above, although as Angus says it might be worthwhile having a go on mild, still nights before then. Be prepared to not catch anything even then though! I generally start trapping consistently (two or three times a week) from mid February, but am prepared for nil returns to be the norm!

PS Don't just depend on ukmoths... see the sticky on this forum which shows the multitude of websites that are out there to help with ID.

Cheers Mike,
I will check out the sites in the sticky
ta

From my experience although you may be finding an empty moth trap in your garden in the winter,as I myself am doing at the moment,a portable trap in a mature woodland is a whole different world!On New Years Day 2005 when I emptied my Heath trap in a nearby woodland I had 103 moths in it.When I checked the mv in the garden -zero!It's not that there are no moths around in the winter,it's more where they are.

Terry Stokes said:
From my experience although you may be finding an empty moth trap in your garden in the winter,as I myself am doing at the moment,a portable trap in a mature woodland is a whole different world!On New Years Day 2005 when I emptied my Heath trap in a nearby woodland I had 103 moths in it.When I checked the mv in the garden -zero!It's not that there are no moths around in the winter,it's more where they are.

This confirms what's been said above: unless you live near woodland, garden trapping can be a pretty fruitless hobby. There are no (or very few) nectar sources around in the wild during winter, and in any case many winter species do not feed as adults. Therefore there are no readily available refuelling stops to allow long-distance movements - many of the species that turn up in gardens during spring/summer are dispersing from more suitable habitat - and it 'makes sense' for males to remain in or near suitable habitat, especially for those species which have flightless females.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back