• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welcome to Nick's dining room table. (2 Viewers)

Had a look- I hadn't heard of it either. It was interesting- some very nice work and I liked the fact that you could view all the work- or skip to the award winners. It might be an idea for you Nick to have a go- they seem to sell a fair amount;)

Not exactly- I was talking about the time and effort needed to be put in to become a member in the first place. I can't remember now what it entails but I think it involves having work accepted for several years and then being proposed by another member. My feeling is that for someone with Nicks talent it would be worth the effort and cost! but I could be wrong- are there well known successful bird artists out there who did not at some time become a member of the society???

I see, I missed the SWLA part the first time I read. I thought you were talking of SOCIETY as a whole. Sorry about the misread.
Go on all with your musings, ignore me!

Nick - Many of your paintings have a coldness to them because your colours are not too bold, which is the opposite to what is happening to me, my colours contrast strongly against each other and i personally think that they don't look that realistic.

How do you get that soft effect with the colours?

Nick - Many of your paintings have a coldness to them because your colours are not too bold, which is the opposite to what is happening to me, my colours contrast strongly against each other and i personally think that they don't look that realistic.

How do you get that soft effect with the colours?

Bear in mind that my camera often gives a blue tinge to my paintings. Many times I like to put non-realistic colours in. I also think that the colours you've used in your paintings are very natural, particularly your YB Warbler and Wilson's Phal. I think it's important to paint in the field when possible, or add colour to sketches immediately when you get home after having made colour notes. Use a limited palette and remember that colour is the ting that changes the most in the natural world with the light conditions, so there is no such thing as an exact colour match. Be very careful about using what's called 'local colour' - knowing that something is a particular colour under 'laboratory conditions' and painting it that colour. http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/170843/ppuser/18281 Szabi has done wonders with this woodpecker by painting its tertials red and blue! All effects of the light. Also remember to be careful with black and white (I often mix them with watercolour, very naughty apparently) but remember that white as pure white is very very rare in nature, it reflects all the colours around it, black is never one flat colour either (well only rarely) look at Tim's Shelduck's here to see how he's put a lo of form by varying the tones and the colours in the "black" and "white". http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/153100/ppuser/37672

At the end of the day, advice is only part of what will help you get the colours right, it's a lot of playing aroud and experimenting - and a lot of things going in the bin (two of mine went there this week because I can't get the colours of winter bramble leaves right). So although I'm always happy to give any advice, (as is everybody on this forum) most of the answers you'll find out yourself. Looking forward to seeing some colour work, remember, enjoy it.

Thanks for that wonderfully evocotive essay Nick. That really helps. I intend to do painting this week, but will focuss on fildsktches over the next couple of days

Here's the first one of 2008, looks like I'm going for more detail again. (Bloody legs!!) Happy New Year! Bonne Année!

Attachments

• bonneannée 014.jpg
    bonneannée 014.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 83
Now I'm back at work I've got time to comment! That said, you've done so much work that it's difficult to know where to start!

So, suffice to say it's all up there with your usual exemplary standard but outstanding for me are the two pics which seem to be almost direct opposites of one another.

The maggies/(fieldfare) is an object lesson in how to pick out patterns and forms and 'abstract' them to produce an energy filled work that draws the viewer in every time, terrific job!
Then there's the latest, detailed contribution of the dunnocks, it's still loose enough to maintain the wonderful sense of life that is present in all your paintings, but tight enough to satisfy my craving for detail. Living birds in a living environment with some beautiful, understated colour, another terrific job!

New year's resolution: Drop by this thread several times a day so I can keep up!

All the best for 2008 Nick.

Woody

First sketches of the new year, more mammals than anything. Got a lovely chamois wandering on the cliff tops and a coypu being pursued by mallards, coots and goosanders. There'll be a painting of the snorkelling goosanders, and also one from last night of a goosander taking off.

Attachments

• chamois 003.jpg
    chamois 003.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 66
  • chamois 004.jpg
    chamois 004.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 62
  • chamois 005.jpg
    chamois 005.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 72
  • chamois 006.jpg
    chamois 006.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 61
  • chamois 007.jpg
    chamois 007.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 64
Terrific work Nick. Also reassuring to see that your copious output manages to maintain top quality throughout, now we're into the New Year.
Love the Chammy - very special drawings.

Oooh yeah, 2008 shaping up as a vintage year for the Derry already! The lift-off goosander is fantastic and I can't wait to see what treatment you apply to that one.

Mike

top of the line stuff, Nick. You have already set the bar high for this new year.

Enjoyed your brief advice column on color with black and white. Spoken like a true teacher! :eek!:

Thought I'd share some of the latest stuff from the dining room table, lots going on, but only one finished painting and a lot of mess that has spilled out over the floor now!

These snorkelling Goosanders might be revisited in a different version, this one's a bit scrappy. As for the others, well it's a lot of playing around but no definite ideas, I think I'll have a few days off from painting to try and sort out something good, it's annoying at the moment as I realy like the ideas but painting is difficult.

Ugh, the dining room is a mess! (I'm not houseproud o:D) better start tidying up, got to prepare a meal for tonight as it's our 3rd anniversary and then I've got a whole month's lesson plans to prepare. Fun, fun, fun.

Attachments

• DSCF4735.JPG
    DSCF4735.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCF4736.JPG
    DSCF4736.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCF4737.JPG
    DSCF4737.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCF4738.JPG
    DSCF4738.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 71
  • pig sty.jpg
    pig sty.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 77
What a way to start the new year. The flying goosander and the snorkeling goosanders are my favorites. I really enjoyed the reds and the reflected pinks in the goosanders. Nice stuff!

It's 5:35 am, I'm no good at following my own advice, it's like when I say I'll give up smoking. It's Bruce Pearson's fault, I found myself flicking through his Camargue book, and thinking, that's the approach for these pictures. I hope he has sleepless nights too.....

........I'm off to bed.

Attachments

• DSCF4743.JPG
    DSCF4743.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCF4744.JPG
    DSCF4744.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 85
It's 5:35 am, I'm no good at following my own advice, it's like when I say I'll give up smoking. It's Bruce Pearson's fault, I found myself flicking through his Camargue book, and thinking, that's the approach for these pictures. I hope he has sleepless nights too.....

........I'm off to bed.

Hi Nick, many more sleepless nights to you, glorious pair of watercolours. Sleep is overated anyway...;)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back